PDA

View Full Version : Segue/mashups

Denty
25-07-2006, 01:11 PM
As mentioned in the "newby" post, I'm coming out of retirement again - my question is: does everyone do all this continuous music mixing now with popular songs for weddings for example? Isnt it a lot more difficult than with the 12" mix discs which seem to have long run ins, good middle breaks and long run out? I was looking at that excellent post that highlighted the number of times played over 25 sessions and wondered if there are many opportunites for this clever mixing - or should I get my coat and go back into retirement again?!!
Steve

Danno13
25-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I presume you're taking about beatmixing tracks??

I still think it has its place at weddings, family functions etc. Especially if your doing a club set. If anything its easier with radio edits of tracks (as opposed to full versions) as you don't have as long to run the mix and so the pitch doesn't have to be accurate. I still get full mixes of club stuff though.

For student events, 18ths and some 21st i'd say its almost a "must".

dj andy allwood
25-07-2006, 01:23 PM
As mentioned in the "newby" post, I'm coming out of retirement again - my question is: does everyone do all this continuous music mixing now with popular songs for weddings for example? Isnt it a lot more difficult than with the 12" mix discs which seem to have long run ins, good middle breaks and long run out? I was looking at that excellent post that highlighted the number of times played over 25 sessions and wondered if there are many opportunites for this clever mixing - or should I get my coat and go back into retirement again?!!
Steve

well before i started mobile djing i used to play house and old skool and always use vinyl and my personnel opinion is that its tonnes easier to mix on vinyl normally cos it has a long outro which is normally just a beat which mixes into a long intro.
i tried on cd's the first time and the only one i could master for the first few months was house of fun into kylie's cant get you outta my head lol i do think its harder on cd but i guess practice makes perfect as with most things!!! :teeth:

Shaun
25-07-2006, 01:24 PM
I do quite a lot beat-mixing at events (including weddings). 12 inch or extended versions are better suited to those types of mixing but it can be done just as well with radio edits of tunes. The transitions are quicker between tracks when using standard versions of songs and doesn't allow the same type of mixing creativity that can be accomplished with extended versions. It's a good challenge though :).

Shaun
25-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I still think it has its place at weddings, family functions etc. Especially if your doing a club set.

I agree.....and not only club sets. A lot of fun can be had beatmixing music from all eras. :)

dj andy allwood
25-07-2006, 02:14 PM
I agree.....and not only club sets. A lot of fun can be had beatmixing music from all eras. :)

and it is quite fun to throw in bits of everything cutting tracks from here there and everywhere lol
:teeth:

Have a disco
25-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Afraid withing the private party line most dont need long mixes most of the night. I have found that you need to cram as much in as possible for most gigs to please all.

Obviously R'n'B has killed alot of club mixing as its just too mundane to mix it in and they all have the radio edit start points????

When Im club or pub DJing I will try to get away with playing full length mixes but even here most just want to here the edits afraid I wish I was using vinyl sometimes as CD jocking in clubs has become so staid

But full length mixes do have there place I will still mix in where I can. Clubs are no where the same as they use to be. Alot have gone commercial and this is getting annoying

Denty
26-07-2006, 09:39 AM
thanks for all this chaps-the point about cramming many tunes at a wedding is a good one and on reflection was what i used to do, given the usual wide age and tastes you often get. best i get my headphones out and get practising. lets see: max bygraves into zz top into kylie (yes please) into ..................