PDA

View Full Version : Have broke my iTunes!!!

Spirits High
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I've just moved my iTunes music folder onto an exteranl HD and now it wont play :(

I've edited the preferences so the iTunes media library now points to the right place but it hasn't "imported it" if you know what I mean.

Any ideas?

DeckstarDeluxe
11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Bit odd being doing this for ages.

Have you cleared the music library and then re added the hd source?

Vectis
11-09-2010, 02:14 PM
My itunes stuff is on a NAS at home and quite often it loses sight of the files after a power cut for instance.

On a Mac, I just completely exit iTunes, then restart with the option key held down and it 'automagically' finds the files again.

Not sure what the equivalent is on Windoze but might be worth googling and giving a try.

yourdj
11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
on mac you can sometimes loose everything as the playlist and music data is in music. not sure if that helps? All i have done in the past is add a backed up playlist and it works again.

Spirits High
11-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Think I've sussed it.

Although the folder was pointing to the right place I've gone into "File" "add Folder" and it's updating at the minute so hopefully that's it. I'll let you know ;)

notroubleclubber
12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Spirts - The problem with what you just done is you will probably find you have a duplicate of every file and one with a ! next to it. You can delete the duplicates by going into the file menu and selecting find duplicates and delete the ones with ! or just do what i did and delete your music list and reinstall with ADD FOLDER which you can point to your external drive. Might take a little while depending on the size of your collection.

Spirits High
12-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Seems to be all sorted now. All the music is back but I've lost my playlists which isn't a real drama as they're on my ipod anyway ;)

Megamix
12-09-2010, 09:17 AM
For anyone using a mac I can heartily recommend 'Powertunes' by Brian Webster (FatCat Software) for iTunes organisation.

sleah
13-09-2010, 10:57 AM
You don't need to break iTunes yourself, Apple are quite happy to do it for you.
I'm sick to death of the unreliability of iTunes recently, it takes ages to load, sometimes looses my library (as described above), can be 'sicky' at responding and video is appaulingly bad at playback. Using QuickTime is marginally better... and this is on a reasonably decent spec PC with plenty of memory and hard disk space.
Oh, and Apple bleat about how good AAC is, but can't even get two tracks with the same level. There's a MASSIVE variation in level accross my iTunes library:( Idiots!
MP3 from Amazon from now on... :D

rob1963
13-09-2010, 11:33 AM
You don't need to break iTunes yourself, Apple are quite happy to do it for you.
I'm sick to death of the unreliability of iTunes recently, it takes ages to load, sometimes looses my library (as described above), can be 'sicky' at responding

How strange, because I've never had any of these problems, and I use itunes all the time.

:shrug:

sleah
13-09-2010, 11:37 AM
How strange, because I've never had any of these problems, and I use itunes all the time.

:shrug:

Just to clarify, I'm on Winders 7.....
The Godly Apple programmers probably haven't figured Vista yet, never mind Win7;) :D :D :D

rob1963
13-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Just to clarify, I'm on Winders 7.....
The Godly Apple programmers probably haven't figured Vista yet, never mind Win7;) :D :D :D

Hooray for XP!

:D

Vectis
13-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Hooray for XP!

:D

Hussah! for OSX :)

Megamix
13-09-2010, 12:32 PM
The Godly Apple programmers probably haven't figured Vista

Has anyone? - That’s why i went to a mac - but then we don't want every member of the great unwashed using it :whistle:

sleah
13-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I do like a good:

I'm a PC and just get one with it without resorting to slagging off other types of Personal Computer. I'm the ultimate clone. Baaaaahhhhh.

I'm a Mac and have no self awareness, hence I claim I'm perfect, because I'm completely unaware when I go wrong, due to being numb from the neck up.

I'm a personal computer. What's Windows? What's Macintosh? I'm controlled by software that is free written by spotty geeks who wear anoraks and glasses and never leave their bedrooms, who don't really get the fuss about using a mouse and colourful pictures when a string of meaningless black & white text will do everything I ever wanted.

:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: