PDA

View Full Version : computer question

gharbud
27-09-2010, 04:44 PM
hi all, i am curruntly using a pc to disco with and am looking at a laptop

samsung, intel pentium r t3400 2.16ghz, ram:2.00GB, 32-bit operating system, vista home premium
just wondering if this is good enought to run virtual dj, also is their any difference in the speed that external hardisk drives transfer data, ie when using vdj playing songs from it, when using different usb leads like a gold plated one? thanks graham

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-09-2010, 07:17 PM
That should run VDJ for just music fine.

Excalibur
27-09-2010, 07:25 PM
External USB drives transfer information quite fast enough for most purposes. As far as I'm aware, the only factor influencing speed is the version, not the cables. i see USB3 is beginning to come in. bear in mind, that however fast any part of the system runs, the whole system will only run at the speed of the slowest part.

Edit: Like Darren says, that spec of machine will run VDJ no probs.

Larry B Entertainment
27-09-2010, 11:45 PM
:d

Larry B Entertainment
27-09-2010, 11:46 PM
There back !!!!!!!! Cheers Shaun. Cleared all the user data in Firefox and changed to interface type to wysiwyg and seems ok now :) And posted this in completely the wrong place. Got so excited my smilies work again. Sorry :zip:

Back on topic. That spec will be good but I would downgrade to XP as I have heard and read that XP is a better music platform than Vista and there are less bugs in the audio side.

Alex
28-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Defo agree with you larry........

I was using Vista Premium... and for the last 6 months, I have had nothing but problems.

The last 2 weeks I've been testing my Windows 7 laptop (which is the backup lappy) and I'm far happier with the quality and speed and which is runs - In fact it's pretty much similar to the spec of the OP's desired lappy.

You can get XP online now for about £35 ... legally!!
Or you can go UP a notch and get windows 7 for around £70

Personally... spend the money... get 7 !! And it will be wonderfull :D

Larry B Entertainment
28-09-2010, 08:42 AM
You can get XP online now for about £35 ... legally!!
:D

Only problem is it is dying out :mad: I know updates are still available but I cant see Microshaft putting them out for much longer as it is now a dead product and there will be no more service packs.
Shame because I find XP the most stable and solid even over Windows 7. The people I know that now use Windows 7 both live and in the studio are having lot of issues with it.

James
28-09-2010, 02:35 PM
you'd be amazed how many people/business' still use xp though

Vectis
28-09-2010, 03:12 PM
XP is still in the 'extended support' phase until 2014 (source: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=15&y=13&p1=3223)

No more service packs, but patches and fixes until at least then. So it's good for the current generation of hardware :)

Larry B Entertainment
28-09-2010, 07:51 PM
XP is still in the 'extended support' phase until 2014 (source: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&x=15&y=13&p1=3223)

No more service packs, but patches and fixes until at least then. So it's good for the current generation of hardware :)

Thats good then. All my machines still run with XP.

dj keevers
29-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Alot of the smaller notebooks and mini laptops all come with windows xp installed. I cannot see XP being phased out soon since iit would mean all that new hardware on sale would be using a obselete system. So in the medium term, XP will be with us for a good while