PDA

View Full Version : Laptop hum-Any Ideas?

scoopd
03-10-2010, 05:21 PM
It may be a coincidence but i put my laptop(Acer) in a few months ago to get a new jack socket fitted as it had become loose.Since around that time I have been getting loud digital interference therough my internal and external sound cards.The only way I can describe it is "sounding like a digital scanning noise when you move the mouse pad etc."

Just wondering if it's possible it's not been re earthed properly or what the problem could be?

When you run on battery the hum/digal noise disapperars.

Any ideas woule be greatfully received

Vectis
03-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Splash a couple of quid on a Ground Loop Isolator and all will be well.

Craplins do an overpriced one; fleabay if you can wait a few days.

Tony Scott
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
It may be a coincidence but i put my laptop(Acer) in a few months ago to get a new jack socket fitted as it had become loose.Since around that time I have been getting loud digital interference therough my internal and external sound cards.The only way I can describe it is "sounding like a digital scanning noise when you move the mouse pad etc."

Just wondering if it's possible it's not been re earthed properly or what the problem could be?

When you run on battery the hum/digal noise disapperars.

Any ideas woule be greatfully received

Sounds like a ground loop isolator is required? have you considered that? http://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=B070 :)

have you recently got a new power supply for the lappy?

scoopd
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Cheers guys. I'm sure I have one somewhere but had stopped using as had no need for it(then!) but I do now.

Thanks again

Shakermaker Promotions
03-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I purchased one of them on the recommendation from someone on here and it's great. Does the job so no more humming!

DazzyD
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Scoop.

Getting noise interference with Acer laptops is not an uncommon problem. I've had 3 Acers now and they have all suffered from the same problem. The latest, an Aspire 5920, is a stunning piece of kit but required an external soundcard to fix the problem. Recently this went wrong (see my posts here: linky (http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28747). Dad ordered a couple of ground loop isolators from the net for not much cash and this has fixed the problem. They are amazing bit of kit and I'd recommend to them to everyone!

gharbud
24-10-2010, 04:53 PM
if your laptop charger has an earth in the plug cut it out, as you said you dont get it when you run it just on battery, when you have it charging its the earth which is your ground loop problem hense the name, i had the same problem with my sony laptop, just cut the plug off the charger and cut the earh out problem solved

Vectis
24-10-2010, 05:01 PM
if your laptop charger has an earth in the plug cut it out, as you said you dont get it when you run it just on battery, when you have it charging its the earth which is your ground loop problem hense the name, i had the same problem with my sony laptop, just cut the plug off the charger and cut the earh out problem solved

Yeah, that's a sensible suggestion..... NOT!

If the brakes on your car were squeaking, would you disable ABS?

:muppet:

Corabar Entertainment
24-10-2010, 05:10 PM
...not to mention an immediate PAT fail

(Getting fed up with this old chestnut rearing it's head over and over! :bang: )

Please don't mention this suggestion again on this forum. Thank you!

Charlie Brown
24-10-2010, 06:05 PM

(Getting fed up with this old chestnut rearing it's head over and over! :bang: )

:sofa:

:lol:

Corabar Entertainment
24-10-2010, 06:10 PM
;)

SPDJ
03-11-2010, 11:30 AM
This maybe something you would like to consider, too much stress on your graphics card perhaps?

I had this exact problem on a pc once. It was quite a few years ago in the days of windows XP, but the problem was the same as you describe, a buzzing noise when the mouse is moved about.

The way I got round it was (and i can not remember exactly what I pointed and clicked on etc) to basically lower the level of graphics by changing the settings of the graphics card in windows

I think changing the buffer settings and resolution worked. Obviously you do not need so much graphics performance to run audio programmes and if you don't use your laptop for any high end graphics stuff then this could be an avenue to go down before addressing the issue at an electrical level.

Tom Lovick
03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Splash a couple of quid on a Ground Loop Isolator and all will be well.

Craplins do an overpriced one; fleabay if you can wait a few days.

Yep a ground loop isolator is what is needed. Got 2 from maplins for about 7 quid each.

You have to be an idiot if you do this!!! :muppet: :daft:

PAT tester: Mate whats up with this laptop transformer?
Gharbud: Oh yeah, I did that cause i was feeling a bit cheap and couldn't buy a ground loop isolator.
PAT tester: What?!?! Thats mad!!

Digital Jack
04-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Are you taking the audio via the headphone socket ????
If so , why ?
Surely the audio from the headphone socket isn't sonically suitable for pa use.
How many of you laptop folks use headphone out sockets for your audio out ?

Corabar Entertainment
04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Post preceding this one has been deleted.

Which part of that is difficult to understand?