PDA

View Full Version : PEAVEY IPR1600 Switching Amplier!

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Ive never owned any Peavey gear (as its rubbish!)
but last week i bought one of the new IPR 1600
Peavey Resonant Switching Ampliers ..............
Its Specs are
2 Ohms 800watt per chan RMS
4 Ohms 530watt per chan RMS
8 Ohms 300watt per chan RMS

IT WEIGHS 3.3 KILOGRAMS

ITS GOt 5 YEARS WARRANTY

It sounds very very good!

Im now seriously considering selling
my 6 Chevin Ampliers and replacing them
ALL with these amazing things!

Ive gigged the amplifier 5 times from pub quizzes
to rollerdisco to open mike nights and its behaved wonderfully

DOES ANY ONE ELSE OPERATE THESE AMPLIFIERS?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0051.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0050.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0049.jpg

Here it is crammed into my shallow cased bach up
system which is now even
lighter since i pulled out the Chevin A500.
Im amazed by the Class d Flat cold no heat output stage
(it runs FLAT COLD NO HEAT AT ALL)
and these are for peanuts at £349 Pounds
Im really pleased with these amplifiers

Cheers

Creature
06-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Rubbish is it - ive used peavey amps speakers for 5 years now and not found anything to touch them for what i do

have been looking at buying this amp and i need some new speakers to replace my aging small rig, and a soon as the money allows will be doing so :)

was gonan goto RBl but didnt like teh sound and whn above 70% sounded crap compared to my current setup

Excalibur
06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
If I were going to buy a lightweight amp, I'd be heading to Mansfield. I've seen and heard them, and quite frankly, they offer ludicrously large outputs for their size. Cos I'm a Luddite, I'd get a 2U case, rather than a 1U.

I have half a mind to rebuild a couple of old amps from the shed with these new internals, and if I do, I'll let you all know how it goes.

CRAZY K
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Cheers

Peavey rubbish--- yeah course.

Try this---

http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/464/cat/1/article.cfm

Moving swiftly back to Planet Earth this is the amp that Class D were promising for a long time to Peter and I and as as far as I know they never got their act together--I gave up ringing them towards the end of last year and bought a new Peavey Powered Mixer instead. Love it!!!!!!!!!

I believe the amp is designed to switch OFF when it doesnt need power and switch back ON when it does--dont know how it works precisely but apparently saves on consumption and doesnt produce heat--if thats inaccurate I apologise.

According to the music press it got an award ( in America ) as the best new power amp --weight wise its a knock out--;)

I have been slightly dubious about the actual claimed power output of these type of amps because they are so small---there again look at the ipod:D

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-10-2010, 11:34 PM
Rubbish is it - ive used peavey amps speakers for 5 years now and not found anything to touch them for what i do

have been looking at buying this amp and i need some new speakers to replace my aging small rig, and a soon as the money allows will be doing so :)

was gonan goto RBl but didnt like teh sound and whn above 70% sounded crap compared to my current setup

Get an IPR1600.. youll love the sound /weight n build quality!

cheers

diydisco
07-10-2010, 03:55 AM
i just bought one of these (£199 s/h off ebay, couldnt believe it!) and ive had it two weeks, so far im astounded and when funds permit, i will be replacing my stock with them (and hopefully they bring out the 3000 soon!)

it feels fisher price, because its so light and glows bright blue inside, but it sounds good, delivers the promised wattage (on another forum, the technical guys did some measuring and it performed as promised) and with a 5 year warranty from peavey, how could you go wrong?

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Hiya DIY and welcome to the forum
oddly enough ive just bought ANOTHER one!
i cant wait to see the back of my beloved
Chevins ..They were light ! the Peaveys
are utterly empty!!
Im very pleased with the sound/weight /5years warranty

OH AND ITS A GREEN AMPLIFIER TOO!!!?

cheers

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
09-10-2010, 04:13 PM
I Gigged the SECOND IPR1600 this afternoon!.
Just as good as the first one ,After 2 Hours of VERY loud Rollerdisco it was TOTALLY flat cold.(The Chevins would by now be like a 1 kilowatt fan heater)
so im about ready to dispose of my 6 or 7 Chevins in favour or the new Peavey IPR1600.
Heres this afternoons rig at a Big sports hall
The Chevin was in circuit but turned off and ready to go live in case anything odd occured!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0001-1.jpg
Im unsure about keeping all my Compressor-Limiters too
as the Peaveys have a seemingly good DDT anti clip circuit as standard

CHEERS

CRAZY K
10-10-2010, 10:26 AM
I Gigged the SECOND IPR1600 this afternoon!.
Just as good as the first one ,After 2 Hours of VERY loud Rollerdisco it was TOTALLY flat cold.(The Chevins would by now be like a 1 kilowatt fan heater)
so im about ready to dispose of my 6 or 7 Chevins in favour or the new Peavey IPR1600.
Heres this afternoons rig at a Big sports hall
The Chevin was in circuit but turned off and ready to go live in case anything odd occured!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0001-1.jpg
Im unsure about keeping all my Compressor-Limiters too
as the Peaveys have a seemingly good DDT anti clip circuit as standard

CHEERS

How could anything ODD OCCUR using a Peavey Amp.:confused:

My back up stays in the vehicle.:)

You havent lived Dave;)

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

csg
10-10-2010, 11:49 AM
clever as the IPR1600's are, i would not put them in the same class sound quality wise as the chevins.

I spent some time with a sample ipr1600 a few weeks ago, and was very impressed by its production engineering and its sound quality for its price point. It does not fair so well when compared with high quality competition ( i was comparing with one of my stock Lab Gruppen's) but at that price point ( 10% of the cost of an equivalent Lab Gruppen) thats hardly surprising.

On the compressor front - yes the peavey ddt circuit is known to be a good clip limiter, however you cant replace an outboard comp / limiter for an internal clip limiter - how are you meant to adjust threshold / ratio / release / gain etc etc on an internal clip limiter?

I have to say this - for someone who pro-ports to be an experienced engineer, you do say some funny things sometimes...

Anyhow, good luck with the amp - at that price point i doubt you will find better.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
clever as the IPR1600's are, i would not put them in the same class sound quality wise as the chevins.

I spent some time with a sample ipr1600 a few weeks ago, and was very impressed by its production engineering and its sound quality for its price point. It does not fair so well when compared with high quality competition ( i was comparing with one of my stock Lab Gruppen's) but at that price point ( 10% of the cost of an equivalent Lab Gruppen) thats hardly surprising.

On the compressor front - yes the peavey ddt circuit is known to be a good clip limiter, however you cant replace an outboard comp / limiter for an internal clip limiter - how are you meant to adjust threshold / ratio / release / gain etc etc on an internal clip limiter?

I have to say this - for someone who pro-ports to be an experienced engineer, you do say some funny things sometimes...

Anyhow, good luck with the amp - at that price point i doubt you will find

better.

Hiya CSG
Thanks for posting
Yes the peaveys are AMAZING at the price i strongly agree!

as for the sound to me it sounds as good as my 6 or 7 chevins
and as the chevins are heavy (compared to the Peaveys) theyre on
thier way out of my rigs

As for the Compressors i use them in most of my boxes purely to stop
the Loudspeakers getting fried (theyre set to brick wall totally on overload)
it works well as ive never had a loudspeaker fatality even when out on dry
hire. I NEVER alter any settings on the compressors so it would be great if the amp makers actually put a decent cicuit into there amps that "Compressed" the out puts at overload to stop speaker destruction at overload. however MOST DONT ( some budget amps simply light up the red CLIP leds THEN squirt Clipped DC into your beloved speakers .( ill not name amps that do that as the manufacturers may br here!.
So thats my question re the IPR amps.
If the DDT circuit is good enough i really dont need the expense and weight of all the compressors on my Boxes.
As an aside ive an ageing mountain of MatamP Quasars WHAT AN AMP!!
superb clip circuit thay looks after the amp AND your loudspeakers!
only drawback
THEY DONT MAKE EM ANYMORE as they were much too expensive!
heres an old flyer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/matscan007-1.jpg
Heres a pile of em 20 years plus and still going strong!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/QuasarsAllTested.jpg
HERES A PRICE LIST from 20 years ago
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/MatamPpricelist1988.jpg
Now they WERE amps built to last !
The big ones were nearly a thousand pounds plus VAT!!!
not bed wettingly powerful compared to todays "Claimed" outputs but the speakers were more efficient anyway.

cheers

PS DO ANY OTHER DJS USE COMPRESSOR / LIMITERS?????

csg
10-10-2010, 12:31 PM
nice to see the old Matamps, one of the best of the breed from that time. £1000 in todays money would put them in the same price bracket as todays top of the lime kit like Powersoft of Lab Gruppen - which is fair enough as they did represent the high end of the time.

You can get similar quality, even better today but you do have to pay for the privilege, just as you had to when the Matamps were new.

I think for speaker protection then an external limiter is always going to be a better solution than an internal clip limiter. Whilst clip limiters are very valuable for keeping DC voltage components from destroying loudspeakers ( any DC voltage will cause speaker damage very quickly), the flexibility of an external limiter will be more useful.
I use both together - the amps having adjustable voltage limiters and clip limiters, and then the look ahead limiters in brick wall mode in my Klark Teknik DN9848E processors which are the first line of defence, and acoustically transparent.

In regards to todays kit - proper pro kit has never been so sensitive - my sub bass boxes are good for 106db/1w/1m, my mid highs 102db/1w/1m - both measured.
As for the amps, well it is true that many today are burst rated. This is simply because most professionals take the view that an amplifier should have plenty of headroom, ideally at least 6db higher than its continuous power rating, to allow the unhindered reproduction o musical transients - dynamic range.
There are also amps out there which can provide their full output continuously. My sub / bass amps of choice for instance can deliver a burst of 7800w / 4 ohm / ch, a 10 second burst of 3700w / 4 ohm / ch and a continuous sine wave of 2500w / 4 ohm / ch, all measured on the bench with a scope and sig. function generator.

So, please don't fall in to the trap of thinking that 25 year old kit was better than todays - the best kit today is far far better than it was back then, and there was plenty of rubbish available, both back then and today.

CRAZY K
10-10-2010, 04:09 PM
As for the Compressors i use them in most of my boxes purely to stop
the Loudspeakers getting fried

cheers

PS DO ANY OTHER DJS USE COMPRESSOR / LIMITERS?????

If your using matched Peavey Equipment you wont have a problem.

I have used Pro 15s plus Pro Subs for nearly 6 years now powered by a 500 watts RMS a side Powered Peavey Mixer.

Plent of loud gigs and red lighting experiences never got anywhere near frying speakers.

Plenty of complaints about too much noise though:eek:

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
... PS DO ANY OTHER DJS USE COMPRESSOR / LIMITERS?????

I do and always have... admittedly mine is now part of my LMS but I doubt many DJ's use them.

CRAZY K
10-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I do and always have... admittedly mine is now part of my LMS but I doubt many DJ's use them.

Whats LMS Tony for us simple Entertainers ( not Sound experts) ;)

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Whats LMS Tony for us simple Entertainers ( not Sound experts) ;)

Loudspeaker Management System (posh cross-over)... http://www.behringer.co.uk/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx :)

Excalibur
10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Loudspeaker Management System (posh cross-over)... http://www.behringer.co.uk/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx :)

Errrrrr, Tony. It's a Berry. ;) Berry don't do "Posh ". :p :D :D :D

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Errrrrr, Tony. It's a Berry. ;) Berry don't do "Posh ". :p :D :D :D

Yes I agree most of their stuff is crap but the 'DCX2496' LMS and 'EP' amps are an exception. Both are extremely capable and reliable, but not 'posh' I admit... :)

CRAZY K
10-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Yes I agree most of their stuff is crap but the 'DCX2496' LMS and 'EP' amps are an exception. Both are extremely capable and reliable, but not 'posh' I admit... :)

Thanks Tony;)

csg
10-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Berry do posh now - they own Midas and Klark Teknik, and you dont get much posher than that...