PDA

View Full Version : RAM upgrade

Spirits High
07-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi folks!

I'm looking at switching to a Mac before the end of the tax year ;) but in the meantime want to get my current Pc performing better.

I've researched what the maximum is I can put in for my Pc (Dell inspiron 531) which is 4gb, pretty sure where I'll be getting it from (thanks Martin) but the question is how do I fit it? I've never looked inside a Pc tower before let alone fitted something in there :D So I'm asking is it as simple as one in one out?

Thanks in advance

Megamix
07-10-2010, 09:04 AM
its very simple - ground yourself first (static) and they just slot in - just ensure they are seated firmly - they should have small retaining clips.

http://www.ehow.com/how_895_install-ram.html - plus there are lots of instructional videos online which I find invaluable for actually seeing in action repair and upgrades of anything

PS - If you buy a mac don't buy their RAM its outrageously priced - go minimum spec RAM and add extra from Crucial like I did - save loads and its very easy to fit.

Booche
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
If you need it fitting Paul pop it down mate and ill sort it for you FREE :)

Otherwise make sure you have got it the right way round as there is only one way it will fit then gently push it into the spare slot making sure the clips at either end clip onto the memory, once rebooted go into the bios to make sure its been registered.

Cheers Dave :)

Vectis
07-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Use the system scanner tool at Crucial... it'll tell you exactly what's in there now and how many spare slots, then give you a bunch of choices - matched pairs to go with the existing ram or replacements for maximum capacity.

Don't forget though that 32-bit Windoze can't really see beyond 3GB without a lot of faff, but if you have 'shared graphics' these might be able to use part or all of the footprint between 3GB and 4GB.

Any more than 4 is a waste on a 32 bit windoze machine as it'll never get used.

Steve the DJ
07-10-2010, 09:26 AM
RAM is very simple to install and to get the right components I highly recommend using the Crucial System Scanner (http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx) which will check your machine and give you a range of upgrade options that are guaranteed to work with your motherboard. The prices include VAT and delivery.

Edit: Vectis just beat me to it... :)

Booche
07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Just to add i use a little appz called EVEREST which tells you everything about you pc, from memory useage to battery life, its a excellent little program ive always used and always will

Link: http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads

Larry B Entertainment
07-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Just to add i use a little appz called EVEREST which tells you everything about you pc, from memory useage to battery life, its a excellent little program ive always used and always will

Link: http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads

or Belarc Advisor. It also gives a system rundown in terms of system spec and performance

Spirits High
07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all the tips ;)

Checked it with the scanner currently have 2x 512 so now have another 2gb on the way! Managed to find out it's a 32bit system aswell.

Dave expect a call when it gets here as fitting sounds ok but registering on BIOS :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Steve the DJ
07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
or Belarc Advisor. It also gives a system rundown in terms of system spec and performance

As does my favourite, Speccy (http://www.piriform.com/speccy).

...fitting sounds ok but registering on BIOS :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Won't be necessary, the system will pick up the new memory automatically.

Booche
07-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the tips ;)

Checked it with the scanner currently have 2x 512 so now have another 2gb on the way! Managed to find out it's a 32bit system aswell.

Dave expect a call when it gets here as fitting sounds ok but registering on BIOS :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

lol its fairly easy mate but no worries if you need a hand feel free to call :)

Won't be necessary, the system will pick up the new memory automatically.

It does if its been put in properley, i always check bios to make sure as it saves booting windows up all the time just to check.

Cheers dave :)

dj keevers
07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
why does that word BIOS scare so many people, always makes me smile when i see or hear peoples reaction. There are not many words in English that can make so many individuals panic

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-10-2010, 11:55 AM
why does that word BIOS scare so many people, always makes me smile when i see or hear peoples reaction. There are not many words in English that can make so many individuals panic

Who's scared of it on here then? :confused:

Tom
07-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Who's scared of it on here then? :confused:

Would it be that what ever you touch, even adjusting one thing could ruin everything? lol.

Just need to understand what you are tweaking before touching stuff.

Spirits High
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
All credit to Crucial the RAM has just arrived.......now time to fit it :eek:

If I'm not back in about 3hrs Dave give me a ring :D

Jiggles
08-10-2010, 02:44 PM
If you mess up the most easiest thing to upgrade in a PC you should be banned from a computer! xD

Booche
08-10-2010, 04:51 PM
If you mess up the most easiest thing to upgrade in a PC you should be banned from a computer! xD

:eek::eek::eek: Wont say what happened :zip:

But its now BACK up and running properley now ;) :sofa:

Corabar Entertainment
08-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Please do say what happened, as I've got a PC here that would benefit from the same treatment, but not having ever even opened the cover of a PC before, I would like to know the pitfalls before I do! :eek:

Jiggles
08-10-2010, 05:21 PM
How on earth can you mess up a ram switch! o.O Its a simple take the old ones out push the new ones in and turn on. lol

Spirits High
08-10-2010, 05:55 PM
:eek::eek::eek: Wont say what happened :zip:

But its now BACK up and running properley now ;) :sofa:

Please do say what happened, as I've got a PC here that would benefit from the same treatment, but not having ever even opened the cover of a PC before, I would like to know the pitfalls before I do! :eek:

Yes, things did go a little bit pear shaped but nothing to do with the RAM upgrade. That in itself was very simple, just take the side off find things that match it and funnily enopugh there were 2 empty slots next to it where they just push in. Angela, don't worry if I can do it it really is simple as I'd never taken the side off a PC tower before 3 pm this afternoon :D

How on earth can you mess up a ram switch! o.O Its a simple take the old ones out push the new ones in and turn on. lol

You are indeed correct, the problem however was that when the side came off there was more dirt and dust inside than the average "How clean is your house" special episode :D :D

So of course I had to give it a clean and went onto remove the dust and 2 dead flies :eek: But there was this big silver bit which I now know was the heat sink for the CPU which was rather grotty to say the laeast as was it's fan. So I removed the fan, cleaned that took off the silver gizmo which had become stuck to the CPU so when I refitted it it didn't lock into place and therefore wouldn't boot up :(

I called Dave and he'd tried telephone support but was as confused as I was because as far as he knew I shouldn't be able to see the shiny gold bits on the CPU.....

Anyway I went over to Daves and he sussed that the CPU had become attached to the heatsink and therefore couldn't be locked into place and remieded it (Thanks Dave)

So really the RAM change is a as easy as everyone one said but the cleaning up part was my downfall :D :D

To show you how dirty it was inside I've attached a pic of the heatsink before cleaning :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
08-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Paul... good to know :thumbsup:

(Although I have a feeling that yours will look clean by comparison when I get around to opening up the one I have here! :eek: )

Jiggles
08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Paul please dont tell me your removed the heatsink then just replaced it back on with out cleaning off the old thermal paste from both the heatsink and CPU then put new paste back on? If you haven't its good bye CPU! It will just burn its self out.

Spirits High
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Paul please dont tell me your removed the heatsink then just replaced it back on with out cleaning off the old thermal paste from both the heatsink and CPU then put new paste back on? If you haven't its good bye CPU! It will just burn its self out.

No I won't tell you that :D

Like I said the CPU was stuck fast attached to the heatsink, Dave prised it away cleaned both bits up then refitted it so it sat correctly in place locked in by a lever then he put some toothpaste looking stuff on it and put it all back together.

It's been on now for the last hour or so, everythings working fine and it's the quietest it's ever been ;)

Jiggles
08-10-2010, 06:47 PM
No I won't tell you that :D

Like I said the CPU was stuck fast attached to the heatsink, Dave prised it away cleaned both bits up then refitted it so it sat correctly in place locked in by a lever then he put some toothpaste looking stuff on it and put it all back together.

It's been on now for the last hour or so, everythings working fine and it's the quietest it's ever been ;)

Good good. xD Nothing worse than someone reusing the thermal paste! :daft: Yeh after a few years it acts like glue! Fun stuff too when you get it on your fingers.

Booche
11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Only just caught up with this one again lol

The thermal paste/heatsync cream was past cream it was more like pebbles lol

But lucky enough i keep a couple of spare tubes ;)

Just glad i managed to straighten out all the procressor pins that had been unfortunatly bent :eek:

Glad its ok Paul and if you need any more help feel free to ring..........

PC WORLD :P

Jiggles
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Glad its ok Paul and if you need any more help feel free to ring..........

PC WORLD :P

If he did that he would be off to buy a new one. :D Then again they would put new parts into the PC needed or not so it would be like a new one anyway...