PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive

DJ Frankie
09-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Folks

Im currently re-orgainising my music files and have decided on purchasing another external hard drive.
Now at present I have two, a desktop powered drive and a portable hard drive (Non Powered) which are used for both disco and office bits which I now want to seperate hence the new one.

Now my question is I would like to purchase a 1TB unit to use with the Denon HD2500 when I eventually get it so for those who have one of these units which one is recommended a powered version or non powered? :beer1:

Frankie

Corabar Steve
09-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Powered everything Frankie. HD, hub, whatever. HD2500s like their peripherals to be powered (not essential, but they behave better)

DJ Frankie
09-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Brilliant thanks for the reply Steve, powered it is then.

Larry B Entertainment
09-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I second what Steve has said. I dont have the Denon but I find that powered hardware is more reliable and less likely to drop out.

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I still can't get that Toughdrive working with my 2500...

Twinspin
09-10-2010, 04:31 PM

have you tried formatting the drive to FAT32. Sounds a silly answer but thats one of the reasons why it might not work if you havent already tried it its either that or a problem with power. Have you tried removing usb keyboards and any other stuff connected to the hd2500and just plugging the hardisk in on its own into the usb hub... or either that plugging the hardisk straight into the hd2500 (does the hardisk have its own power adapter? or is it powered from the usb?)

Frankie: A Good external drive to use with the denon would be a western digital mybook or elements. I use a 1TB Maxtor basics with mine and ive never had any trouble. Ive had it for around 3 years now.

the small WD Passport drive seems to work fine if you have a powered hub

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
09-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Maplins have a 1 TB Seagate in at the moment on special @
£59.99. Ive bought a couple and they seem ok for a cheapo product.
The Psu is a box with slide on pin adaptors but at least its a 2 Wire (NO EARTH) power supply so it doesnt cause any buzzing or digital noise.
I personally dont like the "NEW" Connector used for the USB but theyre all going that way now
Cheers

Order Code: A51JK

data sheet
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/A51JK-Datasheet.pdf

Excalibur
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Powered everything Frankie. HD, hub, whatever. HD2500s like their peripherals to be powered (not essential, but they behave better)

I second what Steve has said. I dont have the Denon but I find that powered hardware is more reliable and less likely to drop out.
Powered everything. Cortex won't accept any unpowered HD I've offered it. Numark will accept Toughdrive and Maxtor, but not WD. :confused:

Runs on Numark D2. As Twinspin says, mine is FAT32, don't know if that makes a difference.

Twinspin
09-10-2010, 11:08 PM
You could also try this Darren.

Plug the toughdrive in as you normally do into the hd2500 then press the util button and go to initialization and go to the format option.

BUT dont format it. just look down the list of drives available for formatting and see if the manufacturer and model of your hardisk on the list of drives is there to format.

If it is Then the problem will be is the drive needs formatting to FAT32. If its not it must be a power problem.

e.g. If you plug a hardisk into the denon thats not FAT32 when you go to the source menu to select the usb drive. It will have a cross through it and you wont be able to access it as you probably know.

Give it a try Darren if you havent already see what happens.

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-10-2010, 01:24 PM
You could also try this Darren.

Plug the toughdrive in as you normally do into the hd2500 then press the util button and go to initialization and go to the format option.

BUT dont format it. just look down the list of drives available for formatting and see if the manufacturer and model of your hardisk on the list of drives is there to format.

If it is Then the problem will be is the drive needs formatting to FAT32. If its not it must be a power problem.

e.g. If you plug a hardisk into the denon thats not FAT32 when you go to the source menu to select the usb drive. It will have a cross through it and you wont be able to access it as you probably know.

Give it a try Darren if you havent already see what happens.

Thanks John - I'll give that a go.

CRAZY K
10-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Maplins have a 1 TB Seagate in at the moment on special @
£59.99. Ive bought a couple and they seem ok for a cheapo product.
The Psu is a box with slide on pin adaptors but at least its a 2 Wire (NO EARTH) power supply so it doesnt cause any buzzing or digital noise.
I personally dont like the "NEW" Connector used for the USB but theyre all going that way now
Cheers

Order Code: A51JK

data sheet
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/pdfs/A51JK-Datasheet.pdf

You say cheapo BUT I have had my pair of Seagate 320gb HDs to run with the Cortex for nearly 4 years and not had any problems ---other than self inflicted.;)

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't go near an external hard drive now after having 3 die on me in as many months. I now use USB flash drives, I have a couple of powered 10 port USB hubs with loads of 16gb flash drives... totally reliable, solid state and expandable. :)

Excalibur
10-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't go near an external hard drive now after having 3 die on me in as many months. I now use USB flash drives, I have a couple of powered 10 port USB hubs with loads of 16gb flash drives... totally reliable, solid state and expandable. :)

Hmmmm, fate tempting mode here, but my experiences don't tally with that. One 300Gb drive per player, and a couple of sticks.

Perhaps you're shaking the drives to bits with the vibrations from the PA? :p :D :D :D :D

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Perhaps you're shaking the drives to bits with the vibrations from the PA? :p :D :D :D :D

:lol:... you could have a point there Peter :D

CRAZY K
10-10-2010, 07:45 PM
:eek:

What makes Tony?

Nearly 4 years no problems with Seagates:confused:

I understand the idea of no moving parts reduces breakdowns--how many sticks do you use.

Whats the approx outlay overall roughly for the powered hubs including the back up one and all the sticks including backup?

Tony Scott
10-10-2010, 08:06 PM
:eek:

What makes Tony?

Nearly 4 years no problems with Seagates:confused:

2X Seagate Freeagents and a Maxtor... :(

I understand the idea of no moving parts reduces breakdowns--how many sticks do you use.

Whats the approx outlay overall roughly for the powered hubs including the back up one and all the sticks including backup?

The thing I like about doing it this way is that as I get close to filling up a flash drive I just spend £15 and get a new one...

I've currently got eight 16gb and six 4gb sticks at about £15 each (£200): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sandisk-Cruzer-USB-Flash-drive-16GB-/290486266682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43a254ab3a#ht_500wt_949

The hubs are £15 each:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Ports-480MBps-USB-2-0-HUB-W-Power-Adapter-Laptop-MAC-/200528435120?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item2eb06d17b0#ht_4017wt_962

:)

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
2X Seagate Freeagents and a Maxtor... :(

The thing I like about doing it this way is that as I get close to filling up a flash drive I just spend £15 and get a new one...

I've currently got eight 16gb and six 4gb sticks at about £15 each (£200): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sandisk-Cruzer-USB-Flash-drive-16GB-/290486266682?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43a254ab3a#ht_500wt_949

The hubs are £15 each:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Ports-480MBps-USB-2-0-HUB-W-Power-Adapter-Laptop-MAC-/200528435120?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item2eb06d17b0#ht_4017wt_962

:)

Thanks for the links!
I find this approach interesting,
I started on Laptop in 2000 and im on HDD 7.
2 outgrown
2 squealed for 4 months then seized up
1 just died
1 some idiot (er me actually) plugged the laptop 20 volt supply into it and out came the smoke!!! so im looking for a greener more reliable option.
Many thanks
could we see a pic of the set up
is searching fast?

cheers

PS hard drives hate BASS so best keep them away from bass bins and loudpeakers.

CRAZY K
11-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the links!
I find this approach interesting,
I started on Laptop in 2000 and im on HDD 7.
2 outgrown
2 squealed for 4 months then seized up
1 just died
1 some idiot (er me actually) plugged the laptop 20 volt supply into it and out came the smoke!!! so im looking for a greener more reliable option.
Many thanks
could we see a pic of the set up
is searching fast?

cheers

PS hard drives hate BASS so best keep them away from bass bins and loudpeakers.

This is interesting, outgrown Hard Drive--must be a small HD or a large collection:confused:

Seizing Hard Drives:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yikes:(

Yes we have all plugged the wrong power packs in Dave--HD into Cortex and reverse--I have got away with that so far--no frying tonight or smoke signals.

The memory sticks seem a good Insurance, what we need is a solid state memory stick/ flash drive of about 200gb --;)

Jiggles
11-10-2010, 09:03 AM
The memory sticks seem a good Insurance, what we need is a solid state memory stick/ flash drive of about 200gb --;)

They are just as bad as hard drives in my experience! You can leave them come back and they have magically corrupted them selves. This is after doing the safe eject. I have a flash drive just now that M$ will only format/ see it as 200mb and my mac sees it as its 4GB! :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
11-10-2010, 10:21 AM
SSDs are coming down in price... OK, not huge capacity, but I've seen a couple sub-£100 now. It won't be too long before they are a serious, viable option.

Vectis
11-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Most folks aren't aware that the big drive manufacturers tend to give a 5 year warranty with their HDDs.

I've had a couple of deaths in the last few years, usually external USB drives of the WD variety, and after kicking up a fuss with the retailers they've eventually sent replacement raw HDDs for me to replace.

It can be a tricky process as you'll find the usual "12 months mate" applies to the wrapper but the drive itself in the centre of things does actually have a 5 year manufacturer warranty (but be careful - some are 3) so if removed from the wrapper you can get them to replace it.

But then some of the external caddies I've seen are like Fort Knox to get into without doing some serious damage.

Depends how much you want a 250GB replacement drive I guess :cool:

CRAZY K
11-10-2010, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=Vectis;480950]Most folks aren't aware that the big drive manufacturers tend to give a 5 year warranty with their HDDs.

I've had a couple of deaths in the last few years, usually external USB drives of the WD variety, and after kicking up a fuss with the retailers they've eventually sent replacement raw HDDs for me to replace.

It can be a tricky process as you'll find the usual "12 months mate" applies to the wrapper but the drive itself in the centre of things does actually have a 5 year manufacturer warranty (but be careful - some are 3) so if removed from the wrapper you can get them to replace it.
QUOTE]

A letter citing the Supply of Goods Act 1982 (amended ) should be sufficient
as its the old sale of Goods Act approach--not of satisfactory quality are the magic words and dont forget electrical items dont depend on how much you paid for them--its the test of what is considered reasonable life span--

Vectis
11-10-2010, 02:02 PM
A letter citing the Supply of Goods Act 1982 (amended ) should be sufficient
as its the old sale of Goods Act approach--not of satisfactory quality are the magic words and dont forget electrical items dont depend on how much you paid for them--its the test of what is considered reasonable life span--

Agreed.

If you don't get anywhere with a warranty claim, the SoGA is the way to go :cool:

Most folks don't think it worthwhile for a £50 device though, 2 or 3 years down the line.

I do :p The last 250GB HDD I had replaced came back as a 1GB.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
This is interesting, outgrown Hard Drive--must be a small HD or a large collection:confused:

Seizing Hard Drives:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yikes:(

Yes we have all plugged the wrong power packs in Dave--HD into Cortex and reverse--I have got away with that so far--no frying tonight or smoke signals.

Yeah when i Started with a Laptop in 2000 150Gig seemed a B I G drive!!
cheers

Vectis
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
what we need is a solid state memory stick/ flash drive of about 200gb --;)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1

Yeah when i Started with a Laptop in 2000 150Gig seemed a B I G drive!!
cheers

When I started programming c.1980 I had to beg, steal and borrow to get a 16K RAM pack.

When I started programming for a career in 1986 a 300MB Winchester disk was the size of a washing machine and cost 5 figures :eek: