PDA

View Full Version : Unifying all disco sites

Have a disco
29-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Would it make sense to approach the MU as that we may have our own section within the Musicians Union for all other musical industries like Karaokes, Disco's and DJ's sites like NADJ, SEDA, and many others out there including us to be able to join up. This could help with helping keep PLI & Pat costs down as well as give us a bigger voice. It may well help get things done a little quicker as well.

We are all fighting in a fragmented formation towards many a common goal like LWP but we all have our own voice or opinions. It might help stop the were better than them fights If were all under the same group banner we basically will all be the same, none of us better than the other, just a different part of the same group.

It may not stop site rivalry but at least it will strengthen us all as a unit. Its about time the MU accepted all of us as musicians or players of it

soundtracker
29-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't want anything to do with a union that is stitching us up over digital licensing. DJs signing up with the MU ? bit like selling your soul to the devil!

theoloyla
29-07-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't want anything to do with a union that is stitching us up over digital licensing. DJs signing up with the MU ? bit like selling your soul to the devil!
Thats a bit severe - and short sighted. It is the record industry who control PPL and MCPS.

soundtracker
29-07-2006, 05:47 PM
and MU have a major say in PPL and have just stitched us up big style over digital licensing!

Have a disco
30-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Hence the reason we need to be a part of them with a voice rather than working outside of them without one. They had no idea of our needs and only thought of their artistees needs.

We are musicians/entertainers as well we could be in the entertainers union but we wouldn't get accepted there because were not actors as such. But we are more in the vein of the MU because they have bands and DJ's within their ranks already.

Yes the screwed up royally, but as they are learning the hard way we are to undo all their work to get a proper licence that benefits us not them. We are their voice for they're new arttists, infact every single artist registered within the UK.

If we refuse to play an artists song as one then they dont have no royalties for their artists we have the final say, and that artist is no more. We could boycott every song available and what could they do absolutley nothing they need us more than they ever could think to promote their material. A nations DJ's on strike would cripple the nation. as there would be no sales......

As the NADJ benefits Officer you seem to forget that we as one unit would have clout, rather than working as fragmented force pulling in different directions MDA in one, NADJ in another, and other sites bickering whom is the best site

I agree with theo that is a very short sited comment. But I understand your resentment. But we must together, get it right this time. Without being put over a barrel, LWP are working with all our views in mind and the newer DJ Licence had better have more clout and use for us DJ's (no DJ getting one if he has no pli and pat certs incorporated would be great) in making us a more profession business....

DJ's in other countries are given more respect than ours

soundtracker
30-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Tra la la - welcome to Badgerland- you're not listening- the LWP weren't allowed to talk with PPL because the MU Blocked it- they don't want us! Oh yes they'll take your money, but represent your views your joking! By the way I am speaking as a working DJ nothing to do with my NADJ role. As for uniting all of the various organisations, if you read back you'll see I've been advocating this since day one! But MU is for musicians- we are persona non grata, the people that take away their jobs- remember the old campaign "Keep music live" - true colours- nothings changed.

Have a disco
30-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Not Badgerland!! l am just asking would it make sense to make peace with these guys and get our own section we do promote all of their members, we are sorry that kool & the gang or lots of their older members are not touring anymore, but at least we keep their cd sales up for them etc etc

soundtracker
30-07-2006, 01:19 PM
If they wanted peace, would they refuse to get invoved with discussions?
Also, I just don't buy the argument that people go out and buy Abba Gold, coz I played Dancing Queen last night!

Have a disco
30-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Its not just at disco's, radio stations, bars & clubs. these all advertise for there artists but the No 1 link everytime is us the DJ's, whom advertise there superstars or wannabes on a daily basis buy playing there music. The MU would not exsist if it wasn't for us. Its time they accepted us as artists as well (look at the artist names up on there books. Faithless, Steve Walsh, Fergie just to name a few) all of them DJ's

Just how do you think people decide to buy music. Psychic abilities? Not in a major sense but via the above and then they make an Informed decision, as well as at there concerts or word of mouth, remember the Beatles started at a club called the cavern club the rest is history, we still keep plugging them even though they are disbanded.

You know them so well, why dont you invite them to join our forum and voice there opinions. We dont know til we try. Sitting around on our laurels has got us no where as past experience has proven. Lets not be seen as dragging our heels on this issue

theoloyla
31-07-2006, 11:26 AM
In the early 80's I negotiated a deal with britains second largest union the GMB for dj's to join but it was the age of Thatcherism and the DJF decided to join up to an organization of small businesses called the Alliance. This didnt really do much except spout hot air.
In the 70's I managed to become an Equity member. Equity is the actors union and merged with the Variety Artistes Federation. I was accepted because I worked as a compere, did the odd impression or told the occasional joke. Equity would not accept that dj's had any artistic talent! A few other dj's did likewise but not enough to make any impact. I didnt find my Equity card useful and eventually I let it lapse.
In the 90's I had one more go and negotiated with BETA (The Broadcasting and Entertainment Trades Alliance). The represent cameramen in film and TV, lighting technicians, carpenters, voice over artistes, bingo callers, film extras etc. They were very enthusiastic and for a while it looked as though we might gather sufficient momentum to get a power base but in the event it lost steam. I lost faith when my own association SEDA refused en bloc to join "in case they were called out on strike". Stupid emotive arguments won over reason.
Any one of these unions could be courted again but like Soundtracker I dont really see the MU with its history of anti discoism being the right vehicle.
In the end it doesnt matter what organization dj's belong to but there has to be an irresistable reason for them to join in large numbers if they are to have any power.