PDA

View Full Version : why....why......WHY!!!...?

funkymike
30-07-2006, 03:28 AM
I really dont understand this

done a wedding disco tonigh in a conference center near maidenhead, in a nice little village, so far so good.

Now forget all the ethical stuff, and the do's and donts

Park behind the smelly kitchen area, as no direct access where the party is, up a flight of stairs, through a steel chain link fly screen (done wonders for my hair and all equipemnt got tangles up in it) down a corridor, through a heavery fire door, which iam not aloud to wedge open, through a court yard to another fire heavey duty door, down a corridor through another bloody heavy door. ahhh ah the hall iam playing in.

Link together parky floor, iam put on one side at a angle in the middle of no where, oh yer, no power point, need a long ex lead to run to the kitchens. 12 trips later all my equipment in, no hang on have to take bass speakers back, no bass wanted as its also a hotel, and no smoke machine or bubbles ( the b & g wanted bubbles). Set up...at last, told by venue manager finish bag on 12, but turn down at 11. not a min past 12, not even a second.

noise levels must I repeat must be kept down... oh hum yer what ever matron!

No smoking in the room, no drink on or nr the dance area, no boystrus behaviour, no explicited music or any kind and deff no who the **** is Alice, bar shuts at 11.30 no ifs or butts. even though the disco is facing the glass fontage, light must not go outside to upset the residents or coy carp!!

No cigerattes for sale in the whole building( was offered lots of money for mine as i couldnt smoke) but only smoking outside in the correct area the otherside of the landscape garden about 100 meter away from the disco...great, no fags for me tonight then, oh yes no drinking by staff that included me, ok so I buy a coke, half pint for 2 pound!!!!!!!

Apart from that a great night, and then pack all my stuff up, still took 12 trips and a hour, didnt leave a business card this time.

But why on earth advertise a place with so many restictions...why why Why??

Your thoughts.....

Ps Had to take PLi and pat test cert, thankgod I had that bit right, because they would have asked me to leave.

Shaun
30-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Those types of gigs are always tough. As long as the client is happy then it's a good result.

I have a few venues that I refuse to play in due to similar type circumstances. In the end it's just not worth the hassle.

Corabar Steve
30-07-2006, 03:34 AM
Ps Had to take PLi and pat test cert, thankgod I had that bit right, because they would have asked me to leave.
Which by the sound of things, would've been no bad thing

Creature
30-07-2006, 10:16 AM
in other words they want the money but ya not allowed to enjoy yourselves :)

ian8limelight
30-07-2006, 10:42 AM
It sounds as though you won tonight's Star Prize !!

It sounded a nightmare venue and, maybe, we should consider starting a thread with good and bad venues on it (and constructive feedback with each - in this case, one of the major items would be the amount of lugging that had to be done) so others can refer to it ?

Corabar Steve
30-07-2006, 10:45 AM
It sounds as though you won tonight's Star Prize !!

It sounded a nightmare venue and, maybe, we should consider starting a thread with good and bad venues on it (and constructive feedback with each - in this case, one of the major items would be the amount of lugging that had to be done) so others can refer to it ?
Not a bad idea Ian, let's get the legal team on the pros & cons of it first though

Have a disco
30-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Are they not in breach of H & S with that fly screen, and a fire exit closer to loading your stuff would have made more sense

BeerFunk
30-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I know I don't do it often enough, but it's a good idea to check out a venue first (if possible before taking the booking - but that might not be feasible)

funkymike
30-07-2006, 01:45 PM
in other words they want the money but ya not allowed to enjoy yourselves :)

YEP!

Thames Valley Discos
30-07-2006, 01:59 PM
My gig last night. I had the manager come up three times from 10.30 asking to turn music down. Then at 11.15 i was told, if i go past 11.30, i,ll be thrown out. I pointed out to him that i was employed by the bride and groom, not the hotel. I said, if you have an issue please take it up with your client(bride and groom) and not me!
At 11.25 i announced that due to the management this would be the last record, sorry folks, this is the wishes of the Hotel!!!.
The manager was no where to be seen. T****R
Why do these Hotels do this. Its obvious a disco will be loud, and cant always finish on the minute they want. If you dont want loud music upsetting your guests, then dont do wedding functions!!!

funkymike
30-07-2006, 02:31 PM
totaly agree Paul, sounds like you where in the same place last night

Thames Valley Discos
30-07-2006, 02:49 PM
totaly agree Paul, sounds like you where in the same place last night
yeah, i was the guy in room 414, who couldn,t sllep because it was noisy, and those flashing lights were annoying me :)
the room cost me £100, the brides wedding function generated £6000 for the hotel... who would you listen too :) :)

Have a disco
30-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh lets think???? nah lets play politically correct and keep the guy in room 414 happy and put the hotel out of business just for the sake of £6000 we dont need the cash

Would anyone like to reccommend the Hotel Inspector to visit these premises great TV show buy the way