PDA

View Full Version : Moving kit in the rain

paull
31-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Has anyone any tips or warnings regarding moving kit in the rain?

My amps and CD mixer are all flight cased, but what about my speakers and lights?

How do you get your gear on site in a downpoor like we had over the weekend?

Thanks

Shaun
31-07-2006, 11:31 AM
I used to use one of those pvc car roof covers for putting over my speakers in the rain.

I now have everything flight-cased and custom made leather trasportation covers for the speakers.

paull
31-07-2006, 11:37 AM
What about lights, how do people move these as they have lots of vents to let in the air for cooloing, but also water when it rains

lightspeed
31-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Everything aside my speakers are flightcased, but i don't really tihnk that a drop of rain on the top of the cabinet would do much harm?

I've always been lucky enough so that i can reverse the van pretty much right up to a fire exit or something.

- Chris

Shaun
31-07-2006, 11:55 AM
What about lights, how do people move these as they have lots of vents to let in the air for cooloing, but also water when it rains

I have all my lights flight-cased as well.

Carry a good thick towel in your vehicle in case it rains. Covering the light with the towel will help protect it from the elements.

soundlad
31-07-2006, 12:02 PM
what i would do is ddge the spots LEG IT!!

lightspeed
31-07-2006, 12:09 PM
what i would do is ddge the spots LEG IT!!

:teeth:

gillo
31-07-2006, 08:28 PM
i had a mate who owns a bouncy castle company to make water proof covers protect all of my equipnment i have found it preety useful as the material is very thik and and durable and can be made to match any type of equipment any shape and size :D

A1DL
31-07-2006, 08:35 PM
you should have all your kit flightcased (or in the case of loudspeakers, have flightcasing or padded protective covers) for general protection, not just against the weather.

DJs who transport LX without cases, or in tatty cardboard boxes, will end up with tatty, rusty kit, broken mirrors, and get through lots of lamps.

If you have suitable transport, the SP2 roadtrunks from Flightcase Warehouse make great cost effective transport for LX, saves casing individual effects separately and you can wheel in one or two trunks come rain or shine!

Alex - Cream Ents
31-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I would agree, flight casing is always the best solution - if it's financially viable. However under normal circumstances a quick dart from venue to car will not damage the lighting unless its a real downpour! In which case I would say improvisation would be the key - towel / coat to wrap!

Thames Valley Discos
31-07-2006, 08:55 PM
all my kit isa in wheeled flight cases, so if it rains i jump inside them!

Candybeatdiscos
31-07-2006, 10:39 PM
mixer is flightcased, amp as well, the speakers are ok, dont really need padding etc, as for the LX, i find that putting them in 12" record cases do the trick :)

soundtracker
01-08-2006, 08:17 AM
all my kit isa in wheeled flight cases, so if it rains i jump inside them!
Can you tell me where you got the flight-cases for your mood panels from? :teeth:

DJ Plattinum
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
lol well i got back form greace and had a gig last weekend .The gig was a promotions party for the bar i work at and was on a pent house balcony .i took my usal gear witch consists of 2 15"warfdale pro speakers running on a 400w amp ,to technics SL1200s a denon dnx100 and two numark axis 9 cd palyers .i set up all this gear when it was nice and sunny and thought their would be no problem but half way through the gig it started to rain i carried on djing and every thing kept running wailst rain was pouring down -i would have stopped but the boss said carry on hell pay for any damages !! so i did wilst a small gasebo was put over me and the gear and i couvered the speakers with bin bags . the lighting stet up although was sum what different .the lights were on two seprate t bars ,1had two projectors the other two scanners .once the rain started i turned these off and through a bin bag over each gaffa taping it up and obviously removed the power cords.once the rain had stopped i simply took the bags off and turned them on without a problem .needless to say once the rain had stopped it was an amzing night and played till about 1.30 when the 3rd police visit shut us down .so in answer to your question bin bags!! my solution although i have seen proper couvers for same gear available.

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't have thought that would have been overly safe- playing in the rain, bags or not!

theoloyla
04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah I wouldnt do it.

CRAZY K
04-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Forget PAT --guess who might easily end up down at the Mortuary!

Not the bar staff, not the bar owner---yup---its YOU!

CRAZY K

BeerFunk
04-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Still, he lived to tell the tale ;)