PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm converted

STEVE HANLEY
24-10-2010, 01:54 AM
The thought of switching over from cd's to digital if I'm honest was a daunting one. Endless hours ripping cd's. Everything crashing.

I needn't have worried. I bought the IDJ2 off Vectis and it was a doddle. A wedding on Friday and one on Saturday (Last night) both went superbly well. Lots of happy people on the dancefloors both evenings.

I took the cd decks and mixer along with the discs obviously just as backup. I'm happy to report they weren't needed. Even Mary soon got into them. Still got a couple of tagging/search issues, but they are nothing in comparasing to hunting for cd's. I'll continue to take cd's as back up for now. However I really would like to think I've played my last ever cd

Just thought I'd share

Cheers Steve:beer1: :beer1:

DeckstarDeluxe
24-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Told you Steve :) Its great having the ability to pull any record from your collection in seconds!

yourdj
24-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Well done steve!!

I was the same when I moved to Serato.

Is the IDJ 2 the one with the ipod? Much simpler and stand alone. Nice one.

STEVE HANLEY
24-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Told you Steve :) Its great having the ability to pull any record from your collection in seconds!

You certainly did Neil. A lady came over tonight and asked for living on a prayer. I had just passed it in the file I was scanning. I clicked on it loaded it in to deck A and said yes it's on next for you.Big smile and thumbs up from her and I was grinning like the cat who'd got the cream:D

Well done steve!!

I was the same when I moved to Serato.

Is the IDJ 2 the one with the ipod? Much simpler and stand alone. Nice one.

It is Toby yes. It will come in handy if someone walks over with an Ipod and says here mate play this.:beer1:

yourdj
24-10-2010, 02:15 AM
You certainly did Neil. A lady came over tonight and asked for living on a prayer. I had just passed it in the file I was scanning. I clicked on it loaded it in to deck A and said yes it's on next for you.Big smile and thumbs up from her and I was grinning like the cat who'd got the cream:D

It is Toby yes. It will come in handy if someone walks over with an Ipod and says here mate play this.:beer1:

Hopefully no PRS inspectors in the room then if that happens ;)

Do you have a spare ipod or two spares even? lots of d2 users carry an iphone as that works too and can be used fir business and onsite music downloads. It nice to work from Itunes. So easy to download stuff and have it there stragiht away. using itch I hardly spend anytime preparing its all ready to go.

Ipod is great as its less tempremental than a laptop could be. Even my mac had a couple of seconds moment tonight for the first time. I immediately had my ipod to hand!!

it would be excellent if the large format ipods were solid state and not made of a hard disk. That would be perfect.

STEVE HANLEY
24-10-2010, 02:22 AM
[Do you have a spare ipod or two spares even? ]

I don't own one Toby no. But now is the time I think to invest in one as extra back up:)

yourdj
24-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I don't own one Toby no. But now is the time I think to invest in one as extra back up:)

Definitely. You never know. Even if you were broken in to that afternoon etc. I would kepp one in the car/van all the time with al the major tracks and one on your person as well as the one you use for playout.

I have one if your interested. I bought it for the mk1 version which I no longer use. I think its 16 gig?

Excalibur
24-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Welcome to the club, Steve. ;) :D :D :D

STEVE HANLEY
24-10-2010, 03:20 AM
Welcome to the club, Steve. ;) :D :D :D

Cheers Peter. Your advice has been well respected. Will give you a ring later today mate. At a sensible hour:D :D

notroubleclubber
24-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I did exactly the same as yourself and went over to laptop. Ive pruned my cds i take to a venue down to 3 cases(used to have 6) so not so much to carry. I always have a cd qued up connected to my mixer just in case and if its a wedding i always have the 1st dance on the laptop (several versions) as well as on cd for backup purposes as well as any "important" tracks requested beforehand.

Corabar Steve
24-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice one Steve:HappySteve:

deltic
24-10-2010, 10:11 AM
well done steve:D :D :beer1: :beer1:

STEVE HANLEY
24-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I did exactly the same as yourself and went over to laptop. Ive pruned my cds i take to a venue down to 3 cases(used to have 6) so not so much to carry. I always have a cd qued up connected to my mixer just in case and if its a wedding i always have the 1st dance on the laptop (several versions) as well as on cd for backup purposes as well as any "important" tracks requested beforehand.

The first dance on friday was endless love by Luther vandross and Mariah Carey and last nights was Fly me to the moon by Frank Sinatra. ( The happy couple had even taken dance lessons reheasing it for their big moment) So I had them both cued up on the cd player just in case. I was taking no chances. But as said earlier they weren't needed:D :D

Nice one Steve:HappySteve:

Cheers Steve. Wow what a difference

well done steve:D :D :beer1: :beer1:

Hi Andy. I even had VDJ5 running on the laptop as extra back up:beer1: :beer1:

Vectis
24-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Good lad :) Glad it worked out for you.

I hate the ripping part ... takes weeks to get everything just right :(

Later,

Sent from my iphone somewhere deep in the Tirol. Should've been Andorra but for those pesky French...

Excalibur
24-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Good lad :) Glad it worked out for you.

I hate the ripping part ... takes weeks to get everything just right :(

Later,

Sent from my iphone somewhere deep in the Tirol. Should've been Andorra but for those pesky French...

We know a song about that, don't we? ;) :D :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Hate_the_French

CRAZY K
24-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I took the cd decks and mixer along with the discs obviously just as backup.

I would get some lightweight digital back up Steve, you dont want to be carting tons of CDs around--and decks:eek:

Once you have done a few gigs and your confident in the reliability you will probably leave the backup in your vehicle.;)

StarZSoundS
24-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Your biggest PLUS point...

You will never have the worry of a track jumping half the way through....I hated that when it happened!!

Well done Steve...

How many on the Forum still non digital now.....10%??:confused: :confused:

DJ Frankie
25-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Is it the Numark IDj2 that you are using Steve? if so how does it work, is it purely used for Ipod's.

STEVE HANLEY
25-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Is it the Numark IDj2 that you are using Steve? if so how does it work, is it purely used for Ipod's.

Hi Frankie it is the Numark. It took me less than 2 minutes to get the basics working. Without even consulting the instructions. Basically you obviously already know your way round a set of decks.

It comes with seperate plug in 164 gig HDD. You rip your cd's to your laptop. Then plug the HDD in transfer the files to it. Plug it back in to the Numark and away you go. It must be simple if an idiot like me can do it;) :D

P.S. Then make a call to :Censored: Produb

CRAZY K
25-10-2010, 08:41 AM

You will never have the worry of a track jumping half the way through....I hated that when it happened!!

Well thats probably true, however beware corrupted files.

The alternative digital problems reported on here by members are worse though--freezing and crashing.

Probably before you joined here when we were all getting used to digital.

At least a jumping track keeps going;)

From what Steve says as he has just set up in digital I think he needs to test play every track that will be used on the night even if just to check it starts---

If one side freezes your in :Censored: unless you have instant back up.

Happened only once to me in 4 years--corrupted file--nightmare--hadnt checked it out before the night because it was a random request and very rarely asked for.

STEVE HANLEY
25-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Well thats probably true, however beware corrupted files.

The alternative digital problems reported on here by members are worse though--freezing and crashing.

Probably before you joined here when we were all getting used to digital.

At least a jumping track keeps going;)

From what Steve says as he has just set up in digital I think he needs to test play every track that will be used on the night even if just to check it starts---

If one side freezes your in :Censored: unless you have instant back up.

Happened only once to me in 4 years--corrupted file--nightmare--hadnt checked it out before the night because it was a random request and very rarely asked for.

I can only keep my fingers crossed Alan. Hence the cd back up plus VDJ5 running on the laptop

Shaun
25-10-2010, 10:23 AM
You won't look back, Steve. Enjoy your new digital way of working! :)

CRAZY K
25-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I can only keep my fingers crossed Alan. Hence the cd back up plus VDJ5 running on the laptop

Uncross your fingers Steve, it wont be the play out machine that lets you down normally, its the ripped MP3.

New downloads from I tunes etc should never be a problem--waits for someone who has had one!!!!!

I would say once a track has played perfectly its unlikely to be a problem in future UNLESS you do something silly.

Glad your liking it--we all are;)

STEVE HANLEY
25-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Uncross your fingers Steve, it wont be the play out machine that lets you down normally, its the ripped MP3.

New downloads from I tunes etc should never be a problem--waits for someone who has had one!!!!!

I would say once a track has played perfectly its unlikely to be a problem in future UNLESS you do something silly.

Glad your liking it--we all are;)

OK Alan Query No 1

I ripped the Floorfillers club classics and Anthems triple cd's. Loaded it on to the HDD. The unit recognises all 6 cd's but it won't load??????????

notroubleclubber
25-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Any new tracks i add to my playout laptop are tested via my ipod during my day job - ipod plugged into my car stereo.I do about 200 miles on average a day so gives me plenty of time.

CRAZY K
25-10-2010, 05:31 PM
OK Alan Query No 1

I ripped the Floorfillers club classics and Anthems triple cd's. Loaded it on to the HDD. The unit recognises all 6 cd's but it won't load??????????

Not my speciality unfortunately Steve.

Generally if you rip everything the same way without fail and on the same program with the same settings it should work.:confused: :confused: :confused:

10,000 other tracks cant be wrong;)

Course I use a Cortex so thats different to you.

HOWEVER Cortex only reads MP3 not WMA or WAV files so what formats does your play out read off the HD?

Thats one for Martin;)

I have ripped in WMA and found Cortex will recognise but wont play---maybe you have ripped in a format the playout doesnt know--thats my best shot im afraid.

Try playing the tracks with your laptop with WMA to establish they are not corrupted. :confused

Or maybe put them on a memory stick and see if that works.

Over to Martin ---:D :D :D

STEVE HANLEY
25-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Horses for courses Alan as I continue to learn about this digital malarky:D ;)

Excalibur
25-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Not my speciality unfortunately Steve.

Generally if you rip everything the same way without fail and on the same program with the same settings it should work.:confused: :confused: :confused:

10,000 other tracks cant be wrong;)

Course I use a Cortex so thats different to you.

HOWEVER Cortex only reads MP3 not WMA or WAV files so what formats does your play out read off the HD?

Thats one for Martin;)

I have ripped in WMA and found Cortex will recognise but wont play---maybe you have ripped in a format the playout doesnt know--thats my best shot im afraid.

Try playing the tracks with your laptop with WMA to establish they are not corrupted. :confused

Or maybe put them on a memory stick and see if that works.

Over to Martin ---:D :D :D
Errrr, sorry Alan, Cortex reads WAV no problem. ;)

ppentertainments
25-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Course I use a Cortex so thats a lot more superior to you.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve, what program you using to rip them ???

Excalibur
25-10-2010, 06:25 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Steve, what program you using to rip them ???

I wonder if he's not done them at 44.1?

CRAZY K
25-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Errrr, sorry Alan, Cortex reads WAV no problem. ;)

Live and learn eh--No problem, Ive not tried --not a lot of point I guess.;)

MP3s seem to play ok;)

Mayhem 1
27-10-2010, 08:02 AM

How many on the Forum still non digital now.....10%??:confused: :confused:

Me as it goes!!!!!!!!

Going over to lap top has been on my mind for a while now but I am quietly terrified!!!..........

Problems with the lap top freezing and other related problems but there is always the cd back up I suppose.

So come on chaps tell me I need to go digital and lets see the numbers of you that would swear by lap top playout.

Ajaysdisco
27-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Me as it goes!!!!!!!!

Going over to lap top has been on my mind for a while now but I am quietly terrified!!!..........

Problems with the lap top freezing and other related problems but there is always the cd back up I suppose.

So come on chaps tell me I need to go digital and lets see the numbers of you that would swear by lap top playout.

Your not the only one, I still use CD’s, but I use it alongside a laptop so I get the best of both worlds. I don’t know why I just prefer to buy a CD rather than a MP3, at least I can hold a CD!! :o
As with all things there are good and bad points about going digital.
If you get a good laptop and strip off all the unwanted programmes you shouldn’t have too many problems. The biggest problem you will have is converting all your CD’s, which will take ages plus there is another licence you will need to worry about! ;) :)

Mayhem 1
27-10-2010, 08:30 AM
As with all things there are good and bad points about going digital.

If you get a good laptop and strip off all the unwanted programmes you shouldn’t have too many problems.

The biggest problem you will have is converting all your CD’s, which will take ages plus there is another licence you will need to worry about! ;) :)

Hiya Buddy longtime no speak hope you are ok.

I think I would enjoy doing the ripping mate it would be very therapeutic plus I would only have the tracks I would need.

The obvious choice mate would be to have the CD back up but have the Lap top as my main playout system.

Decisions, decisions..

Is there any member who has so much faith that they only take out just a laptop system with no cd back up ??

If you do I take my hat off to you - Very brave.............

STEVE HANLEY
27-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi Garry

I took out VDJ5 with me to run alongside the cd's but IMO a seperate music controller with all you music stored on it seemed to be best option for me. That way I've got the IDJ2 as main playout cd decks and mixer as back up and VDJ5 as a third extra back up.

PS Rip all your cd's not just pick and choose tracks off them. It will take a lifetime doing it that way

Mayhem 1
27-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks for that Stevie mate.

The only problem is having doubles of tracks mate

STEVE HANLEY
27-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Duplicate tracks I don't see as a problem apart from it filling your hardrive up a lot quicker.Lol. As I said in the opening post. I was daunted by it but after going out with Chris from PP Ents a few times. The benefits of digital over cd were without campare IMO.

So I just needed the fianal push to go for it. I trialed VDJ loved it so decided to buy the IDJ2 off Vectis. As I said earlier. Hopefully I've played my last cd

Les Brock
27-10-2010, 09:12 AM
This will solve your duplicate music problems

http://www.lcibrossolutions.com/dmff

Mayhem 1
27-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Many thanks for the info buddy.

I just need that "Push" to commit myself. it will be so much easier for me

CRAZY K
27-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Hiya Buddy longtime no speak hope you are ok.

I think I would enjoy doing the ripping mate it would be very therapeutic plus I would only have the tracks I would need.

The obvious choice mate would be to have the CD back up but have the Lap top as my main playout system.

Decisions, decisions..

Is there any member who has so much faith that they only take out just a laptop system with no cd back up ??

Hi Gary, I take a Cortex and a Hard Drive leaving the spares in the vehicle or sometimes behind the equipment.;)

I do have a Mini Disc player at every gig but you could slide an Ipod in your top pocket with some suitable playlists on it and use that whilst getting the back up set up.

Its all a matter of confidence in your kit.;)

Lap top---personal opinion --- nah!

Excalibur
27-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Me as it goes!!!!!!!!

Not me mate. ;) My laptop is an integral part of my rig, but it's only the first reserve playout system for me. Numark and Cortex front line.

Your not the only one, I still use CD’s, but I use it alongside a laptop so I get the best of both worlds. I don’t know why I just prefer to buy a CD rather than a MP3, at least I can hold a CD!! :o

And now I get really cheesed if I have to buy a CD and convert it. ;)

There was once. Justin. Now he has an SD1 as backup, not CD's.

Thanks for that Stevie mate.

The only problem is having doubles of tracks matePanto time again: Oh no it isn't. Media Monkey does it all, if you spend the vast sum of circa £15.

STEVE HANLEY
27-10-2010, 09:45 PM

Panto time again: Oh no it isn't. Media Monkey does it all, if you spend the vast sum of circa £15.]

HI Garry

Got to agree with Peter Media Monkey is well worth downloading (Even the free one) But the one Peter is refering to has a few more bells and whistles. Another form of back up as well through a lappy:D :D