PDA

View Full Version : interesting`

Thames Valley Discos
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I always wondered how you could tell a legal mp3 to a p2p(illegal)MP3.
I found a program that tells you if it is protected , also whether it is an original or not. This always puzzled me as even a P2P must originally have come from a cd.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I always wondered how you could tell a legal mp3 to a p2p(illegal)MP3.
I found a program that tells you if it is protected , also whether it is an original or not. This always puzzled me as even a P2P must originally have come from a cd.

Just look in the properties of the file and it will tell you whether it has a licence and is protected.

An illegal file could have come from a legal download if someone is sharing it too...

Thames Valley Discos
01-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Just look in the properties of the file and it will tell you whether it has a licence and is protected.

An illegal file could have come from a legal download if someone is sharing it too...
I dont mean the "protected" bit, as all the copies from my original CD,s are not protected, this program will tell you if the MP3 track is from an original i.e your cd, or wether it is an illegal copy.
My friend challenged me to see if i could tell wether some of his mp3,s were legal or not.
Scanned my PC, all original, scanned his HDD, and loads of non original(all P2P )stuff. I was just curious because i thought with the digital DJ license, they mention checking your HDD. It just puzzled me how you could tell if the file was from say my cd, or from someone elses via P2P.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I dont mean the "protected" bit, as all the copies from my original CD,s are not protected, this program will tell you if the MP3 track is from an original i.e your cd, or wether it is an illegal copy.
My friend challenged me to see if i could tell wether some of his mp3,s were legal or not.
Scanned my PC, all original, scanned his HDD, and loads of non original(all P2P )stuff. I was just curious because i thought with the digital DJ license, they mention checking your HDD. It just puzzled me how you could tell if the file was from say my cd, or from someone elses via P2P.

To be honest, if and when the new licences come in, they are going to be 'self policing', but you have to have the original media.

Thames Valley Discos
01-08-2006, 09:13 PM
I thought you could sell/lose the original. As long as your MP3 originated from it.

A1DL
01-08-2006, 09:31 PM
am I being dim, but what's a P2P file? is it a compressed file like MP3 or something?? :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
am I being dim, but what's a P2P file? is it a compressed file like MP3 or something?? :confused:

Peer to peer.

File sharing in other words.

Larry B Entertainment
02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I thought you could sell/lose the original. As long as your MP3 originated from it.

I think you still have to keep the original CD's as prove but im not 100% sure.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM

And how is anyone going to tell where the Mp3 came from?

Actually, I think there is still debate going on about that point to be honest.

Candybeatdiscos
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
some one some where needs rto make a decision and quickly - too much hesitation

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 10:13 AM
some one some where needs rto make a decision and quickly - too much hesitation

No.

That is exactly what happened last summer and the PPL thrust an unusable licence on us. Much better to take a little time and get it completely right this time.

This is the whole point of the LWP and our negotiations with the MCPS and PPL - to get it right this time.