PDA

View Full Version : Mic Inputs on controllers

welby
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Hi all,

Been looking at downsizing and using one of the many midi contollers out there.

I was wondering if anyone knows of midi controllers that offer mic inputs.

I know the American Audio VMS 4 does, but I don't know of any others.

Any help and guidance most welcome.

Thank you

thomas
01-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Numark Omni does. However, it is only a 1/4 Jack input. I use another tiny mixer instead so I can plug in my backup gear to it.

welby
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Numark Omni does. However, it is only a 1/4 Jack input. I use another tiny mixer instead so I can plug in my backup gear to it.

Ahh thanks for the info - just out of curiosity what mixer do you use?

Dynamic Entertainment
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
A&H Xone:4D has XLR mic input...

simonp
01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Hi all,

Thank you

It really depends on what DJ Software you are going to use first and foremost, then you can choose a controller that will be more specific for the software, for instance Numark are in bed with Serato and have tailored a lot of the new products to Serato, Hercules do a lot with VDJ in mind etc etc. You'll find most of the controllers have mic input(s). If you are shopping online most of the bigger online stores give you multiple views and close ups of the products as well as listing all the technical specs.
Do look closely at the mic input to see whether it has it's own EQ as many don't (but that depends if you are that bothered about a mic EQ - I am as I adjust differently to different venues). But that's only really applicable if you're going to use the controller totally dedicated and not use another external mixer.

TONYTIGER
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi all,

Thank you

I am told that the American Audio VMS 4 has bug, fault , call it what you like but the mic channel does not work properly,and that,s from one of there stockists.

Same as the DP2 from them.

thomas
01-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Ahh thanks for the info - just out of curiosity what mixer do you use?

The Soundcraft Spirit Notepad. Nice and small and has 4 mic inputs and two stereo.

welby
01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I am looking to use it with VDJ software and I have noticed that there are midi mappings for "serato" controllers in the VDJ software repository.

The VMS4 mic bug, I am aware of so that is a worry.

I would like to use the controller standalone - no mixer - unless I am forced to use a small mixer with an added bonus of FX effects for karaoke. I think this is likely as I usually use 2 mic inputs.

The hercules RMX only has one mic input.

welby
01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
A&H Xone:4D has XLR mic input...

Thanks, nice unit, but well out of my league at the moment.

Dynamic Entertainment
01-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Yeah it is. I know a few people who use it :)

DJ James Lake
01-11-2010, 11:52 PM

I am selling a Allen & Heath Xone 3d for £800 at the moment that will do everything you want

DaveyG1980
02-11-2010, 07:07 AM
what about the allen heath dx?

I'm looking at getting it as it lighter than carrying a coffin case of 2 cdjs and mixer. due to back problems.

Can you map serato with the 3D?

welby
02-11-2010, 09:14 AM

I'm looking at getting it as it lighter than carrying a coffin case of 2 cdjs and mixer. due to back problems.

Hi Dave, I know the feeling!

BTW love the website - just to let you know you have a TYPO error on the Welcome to my host part - Top should be to.

DJ James Lake
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM

Yes you can as serato supports midi mapping (nearly every dj program on the market does). I have personally used the 3d with Traktor and VDJ Pro.

Its actually brilliant for VDj as you can map the crossfader for video crossfades.

The 3d has two seperate midi sections either side of the mixer part which is basically an Xone 92.

supersound
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
The Denon MC6000 has good reviews and 2 mike sockets(xlr)and echo too.Hsa 2 sliders and 2 jog wheels and even has rack ears unlike the VMS4,however it retails between £600 - £700

Paul

welby
02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes you can as serato supports midi mapping (nearly every dj program on the market does). I have personally used the 3d with Traktor and VDJ Pro.

Its actually brilliant for VDj as you can map the crossfader for video crossfades.

The 3d has two seperate midi sections either side of the mixer part which is basically an Xone 92.

Hi James,

what are you planning on replacing it with? a 4D?

welby
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
The Denon MC6000 has good reviews and 2 mike sockets(xlr)and echo too.Hsa 2 sliders and 2 jog wheels and even has rack ears unlike the VMS4,however it retails between £600 - £700

Paul

Due on sale in the uk from December 15 - nice bit of kit.

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Due on sale in the uk from December 15 - nice bit of kit.

Where's that info from?

Denon forums say middle of December at the earliest but not an exact date.

yourdj
03-11-2010, 07:44 AM
It really depends on what DJ Software you are going to use first and foremost,

look closely at the mic input to see whether it has it's own EQ as many don't (but that depends if you are that bothered about a mic EQ

a few have the mic eq on the software like on Itch.

I am told that the American Audio VMS 4 has bug, fault , call it what you like but the mic channel does not work properly,and that,s from one of there stockists.

i was chatting with them on BPM and they agreed. Dont go there. Its plasticy too.
This is my main grudge with cheaper Numark and AA stuff. It just feels a bit rubbish and they are always discontinuing things.

I am looking to use it with VDJ software

Denon MC6000 would be the best bet. its a nice piece of kit.
for a lower budget any controller can do VDJ. Loads out there now.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?as_q=vdj+controller&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgtype=&imgsz=&imgw=&imgh=&imgar=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=off&as_st=y&biw=1281&bih=702

I personally like the Vestax stuff. there is another post on this. :)

give this one a try the software is excellent :D

http://www.xboxpulse.com/pulse/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dj-hero-controller-1.jpg

supersound
03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Allen and Heath do one too,looks tasty and the sound quality will be good I guess.

http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/us/news_story.asp?view=228

Paul

welby
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Where's that info from?

Denon forums say middle of December at the earliest but not an exact date.

try here:

http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/DENON/Computer_DJ/DNMC6000/GoogleBase/

It's now changed to the 16th December :daft:

Denon DN-MC6000 Twin Midi Controller £ 679.00
Availability: Coming soon
Delivery: 25 to 30 days
Expected delivery: Thursday December 16 2010 <=========

www.djkit.com are still saying October 2010 -:D :eek: :D :Censored:

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 06:11 PM
try here:

http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/DENON/Computer_DJ/DNMC6000/GoogleBase/

It's now changed to the 16th December :daft:

Denon DN-MC6000 Twin Midi Controller £ 679.00
Availability: Coming soon
Delivery: 25 to 30 days
Expected delivery: Thursday December 16 2010 <=========

www.djkit.com are still saying October 2010 -:D :eek: :D :Censored:

Cheers mate, although that's a bummer I needed it sooner :(

simonp
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
a few have the mic eq on the software like on Itch.

Really Toby, Honestly wasn't aware of that. Where abouts in Itch will I find the seperate EQ for the mic - I can't find it anyware mate :confused: :confused:

Denon MC6000 would be the best bet. its a nice piece of kit.

This is a nice piece of gear, really well made with a lovely feel to it - I had a play with one at the last SEDA meeting and was impressed - It has made my decision whether to purchase this or the Kontrol S4 much harder.

My issue is much like Marks in that I want it sooner so if I go for the MC6000 I also have to wait for the Traktor S4 software to become available as a seperate entity to the Kontrol S4, which I don't believe will be before the new year. :(

welby
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
My issue is much like Marks in that I want it sooner so if I go for the MC6000 I also have to wait for the Traktor S4 software to become available as a seperate entity to the Kontrol S4, which I don't believe will be before the new year. :(

Why wait the new VDJ 7 supports up to 99 decks! :daft:

welby
20-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Citronic Mp-x10 Dual Media/midi Mp3 Player With Mixer
is looking interesting.....

http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/htfrimages/BMR386473.jpg

Denon DN-MC6000 should be available in the uk today - hmmm we will see.

Availability: Out of Stock
Delivery: 2 to 3 days
Expected delivery: Thursday December 23 2010

If anyone has any stock of the Denon, please let me know.

simonp
20-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Why wait the new VDJ 7 supports up to 99 decks! :daft:

Because I don't like Virtual DJ :p

MikeW
20-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Citronic Mp-x10 Dual Media/midi Mp3 Player With Mixer
is looking interesting.....http://www.hardtofindrecordsrecordstore.com/htfrimages/BMR386473.jpg

Denon DN-MC6000 should be available in the uk today - hmmm we will see.

Availability: Out of Stock
Delivery: 2 to 3 days
Expected delivery: Thursday December 23 2010

If anyone has any stock of the Denon, please let me know.

I agree, getting good reviews.

yourdj
20-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree, getting good reviews.

It looks good but it is citronic :p

Unless i have a very good play I would never buy a less repected brand.
even the numark stuff felt plasticy in person compared to the allen heath/numark etc.

Same with the ADJ stuff.

I have to say Vestax has really impressed me as the gear is solid and works (although in the simple side) for my purposes.

MikeW
20-12-2010, 04:16 PM
It looks good but it is citronic :p

Unless i have a very good play I would never buy a less repected brand.
even the numark stuff felt plasticy in person compared to the allen heath/numark etc.

Same with the ADJ stuff.

I have to say Vestax has really impressed me as the gear is solid and works (although in the simple side) for my purposes.

I have used Citronic mixers for years, always seemed ok. Saying that, I have never used Denon or Numark so wouldn't really know.
Still thinking about changing to the new Citronic MPX10 mixer, or would you wait and go for the Denon MC6000?:confused:

welby
21-12-2010, 10:43 AM
One thing to be aware of with the Citronic MPX-10

is the file limit if you run the unit as a self contained player

Max. number of Folders 999 (max.255 files per folder)
Max. number of files max. 999

Obviously this would not affect you if you're using it in conjunction with software such as VDJ or Scratch :)

MikeW
21-12-2010, 10:52 AM
One thing to be aware of with the Citronic MPX-10

is the file limit if you run the unit as a self contained player

Obviously this would not affect you if you're using it in conjunction with software such as VDJ or Scratch :)

Could you expand on that please, :daft:

welby
21-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Could you expand on that please, :daft:

Mike,

you can run the unit as a self contained "mp3 player" (NO COMPUTER ATTACHED) such as a Cortex so you are under the control of the units limitations in terms of folders/numbers of files.

OR

you can run the unit in "midi mode" whereby you control the unit via a computer and dj software. You can then plug into your laptop a Hard Disk containing as many folders and songs as you like (according to your ProDub licence).

Hope that makes sense?

Citronic have the user manual online for download, but the database software link is not working - shame as I would have like to test this as making a working database on any of these systems is a pain in the rear!

USER MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK (http://citronic.co.uk/product/170.700UK)

MikeW
21-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Mike,

you can run the unit as a self contained "mp3 player" (NO COMPUTER ATTACHED) such as a Cortex so you are under the control of the units limitations in terms of folders/numbers of files.

OR

you can run the unit in "midi mode" whereby you control the unit via a computer and dj software. You can then plug into your laptop a Hard Disk containing as many folders and songs as you like (according to your ProDub licence).

Hope that makes sense?

Citronic have the user manual online for download, but the database software link is not working - shame as I would have like to test this as making a working database on any of these systems is a pain in the rear!

USER MANUAL DOWNLOAD LINK (http://citronic.co.uk/product/170.700UK)

Thanks for taking the time to answer that, much appreciated.

welby
21-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Just went on Thomman and the Denon is not due in stock until

Availability of this item:shipment due to arrive on 10.01.2011