PDA

View Full Version : Top Gig

Digitalsounds
01-08-2006, 11:28 PM
We did a wedding on Sunday at a very very nice hotel out in Warmley, Sutton, a 900 year old castle converted in to a hotel with a perm' fully fitted out marquee. 180 Very happy people attnding th wedding and enjoyed good food, good drink and we did a storming disco in the evening even against a friggin soundlimiter that was set to they say 85dB only time it cut out was right a the end of the night when the dance floor was singing away to Queens Don't Stop Me Now to which the sound limiter did. LOL

Bride & Groom very very happy.

Don't you just love it when you get a crowd who dance all night with out stop and even have the time to come up and thank you at the end of the night.

Candybeatdiscos
02-08-2006, 08:36 AM
i hate those bloody soundlimiters

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 09:56 AM
i hate those bloody soundlimiters

Me too, and I refuse to take a gig where there is one in place.

The last place I worked at that had one, I tried to announce the b&g on to the dance floor and it cut the power, leaving me in front of 100 people looking rather foolish (they thought it was my dodgy gear obviously), so never again.

Candybeatdiscos
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
local hotel has one, which doesn't cut power just warns you to lower it a bit - not too bad

CRAZY K
02-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Darren said--Me too, and I refuse to take a gig where there is one in place.

Darren do you always ask in advance if there is one?

Do people always know at the time of booking you?

I have come across several where I have had to work with them but was not
made aware of it--I dont ask at the moment.

Its certainly a question I should ask--although I probably would take the gig and blame the venue when its a problem---over the mike that is during the event very loudly---or as loud as you can without being cut off :teeth:

Must admit I hadnt thought of the first Wedding Dance problem--now thats REALLY embarrasing :sad:

cheers

CRAZY K

BeerFunk
02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I wonder if there's any way round them, like finding the sound levels detector and 'muffling' it? :teeth:

Digitalsounds
02-08-2006, 12:10 PM
one or two hotels deal with have these units as well, but you can say that somewhere in the room there is usually a plug socket or two that arn't included in the cut out system i always try and see if they will let us use them, most of the time there isn't a problem as long as you watch the meter from time to time.

But then again there are the venues that keep to the rules and you cut out 2-3 times a night. imbarassing or what in front of 100 people

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Darren said--Me too, and I refuse to take a gig where there is one in place.

Darren do you always ask in advance if there is one?

Do people always know at the time of booking you?

Must admit I hadnt thought of the first Wedding Dance problem--now thats REALLY embarrasing :sad:

cheers

CRAZY K

It was yes...

And if it's a venue I haven't worked before, then yes I do always ask and if the client doesn't know I will tell them I will find out or let them.

I have actually persuaded a couple of people to change venues too because of this factor!

Have a disco
02-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Have even thrown a towel over one of these D.A.M.N. sensors to dull it down they can be so over sensitive, it works wonders

theoloyla
02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Quite agree. I hate the things but I am afraid that we will see more rather than less in the future as more people complain about noise nuisance.