PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on proposed changes to Jobs Offered / Required section

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
We are currently reviewing the jobs offered/required section of the forum, and are considering limiting it's use to members of the forum who have been a member for at least 3 months together with at least 100 posts (similar to how the 'For Sale' section works).

The whole sub-forum would be hidden from view unless and until you meet these criteria (to prevent non-qualifying members circumventing the system via PM)

That way, only established members of the forum with a viewable track-record would be able to post jobs, or apply to cover jobs offered.

However, since it's the membership who use/benefit from this facility, we thought we'd put it to you before we made any changes.

1. Do you think that the above would be a good idea?

2. Any further comments / suggestions on the subject?

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Good idea but even numpties reach 100 posts :p

Charlie Brown
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't think 100 posts is enough.

It's achievable in a day!

Shaun
03-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Good idea but even numpties reach 100 posts :p

Very true. It's not fool-proof but at least it'll allow the members to make an informed decision based on the content of the posts.

If anyone has any ideas they'd like to throw in the pot, please do. :)

I don't think 100 posts is enough.

It's achievable in a day!

It would be 100 posts AND three months membership. If they posted 100 posts in the first month they would still not have access until after the three month "evaluation" period.

funkymook
03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I think it's an excellent idea, like any criteria it's always open to debate where you draw the line, but this sounds sensible and fair.

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 02:36 PM
It seems a shame a genuine business conscious new member has to suffer because of a shady few tbh, I think the job offers section works well as it is. If you go on how many times its successfully gotten jobs covered and not anyway. I'm sure the messy efforts which have recently reared their ugly heads won't happen again in a hurry. They did happen for all to witness afterall.

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
The thinking is, people would have a 'track history' to look at so that you could make a better informed decision about the other member. ie: Charlie - if someone did post 100 times in one day, then nothing for 3 months, then applied for a job / put up a job, the fact that the member had posted 100 times in one day would surely tell you something about them!

:lol:

Yes, you could make it higher, but there are a lot of valued members who spend a lot more time reading than posting, and if it were higher, I think you would be excluding those valued members from participating / benefiting.

Charlie Brown
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
How about 100+ posts & or been a member of the forum (actively reading etc) for 2 months?

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 02:40 PM
What's your thinking there Charlie?

(You appear to have gone from asking for criteria to be increased to now asking for them to be decreased)

Shaun
03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
How about 100+ posts & or been a member of the forum (actively reading etc) for 2 months?

That's pretty similar to what we're already proposing The only difference being three months instead of two.

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I think this thread may benefit from a poll.

Give me a minute and I'll add one. :)

Charlie Brown
03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
D'oh!

I miss read the three month part!

Apologies. :o

Yeah, good idea. :)

Paul James Promotions
03-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Good idea

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
D'oh!

I miss read the three month part!

Apologies. :o

Yeah, good idea. :)
I've amended the OP to make it clearer that it's both together - not an either / or situation.

I've also added a poll. :)

Charlie Brown
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
It would be nice to ask for previous testimonials, pics of rig etc but I guess that would get too messy?

Ecstatic Events
03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Good idea, I'm all for it :)

Steve the DJ
03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I voted "Yes" although I think there could be some further "minimum requirements" added, i.e. anyone posting a job must confirm date, location, start time, finish time, set up time, any extras (e.g. uplighting) etc.

I also think members should be clear about who exactly you are expected to work for should you accept the gig, i.e. dealing direct with the client or working on behalf of the other disco etc.

Nothing riles me more than someone who has taken or wants to take a cut and doesn't have the decency to be honest about it. :Censored:

Larry B Entertainment
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I went for the second option. It would also prevent people from using the forum to only post up jobs and do nothing more.

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 03:54 PM
using the forum to only post up jobs and do nothing more.

Is that a bad thing?

Corabar Steve
03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes. This isn't the job centre

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Yes. This isn't the job centre

Neither is it ebay but a lot of people just pipe up and sell stuff when they need to. Surely gigs offered to members of this forum can be nothing but a positive thing, if done correctly?

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Neither is it ebay but a lot of people just pipe up and sell stuff when they need to. Not unless they're established members of the forum with a track record. (The same restrictions apply to posting up stuff for sale as are being proposed for the jobs offered / required section).
Surely gigs offered to members of this forum can be nothing but a positive thing, if done correctly?Well that's what we're trying to gauge here... how members feel about this.

Are members happy accepting gigs from what are more or less strangers, without a 'track record' on the forum?

From my POV, the only down-side to putting these restrictions in place is that someone who runs a less-than-decent service would have the 'get out of jail free' card that the forum supplies removed.... meaning that they would have no-where to turn and a client could be let down as a result. But, conversely, so long as there is a 'get out of jail free' card available, the bar will remain low.

Corabar Steve
03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
If done correctly being the key.

Not participating in anything else on the forum is not. Apart from anything else, I think it's quite ill mannered.

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 04:17 PM
It's a tricky one for sure, was just saying what I thought :beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Absolutely Mark!

That's what this thread is for - so that we can debate the pros and cons! :thumbsup:

ppentertainments
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I voted "Yes" although I think there could be some further "minimum requirements" added, i.e. anyone posting a job must confirm date, location, start time, finish time, set up time, any extras (e.g. uplighting) etc.

I also think members should be clear about who exactly you are expected to work for should you accept the gig, i.e. dealing direct with the client or working on behalf of the other disco etc.

Nothing riles me more than someone who has taken or wants to take a cut and doesn't have the decency to be honest about it. :Censored:

I agree with this, although personally not fussed of someone has taken a cut (I will add I personally do not take a cut). A criteria should be met to include the above and I think the fee should also be displayed.

However - I also think members should be banned from commenting on the thread other than to let the OP know they are available.

Either that, or could replies only be allowed by PM only as opposed to the open forum ?

DeckstarDeluxe
03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm actually going to go against the grain here. I voted to keep it as it is.

The buck stops with the people involved. In the recent case that happened it wasnt anything the forum did or didnt do that caused the sad events of the weekend but rather the two muppets themselves.

When I've offered jobs out people who I didnt know had no chance. Only regular posters that come across in the right way were given the time of day.

CRAZY K
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Is that a bad thing?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Im in favour as its been obvious some people HAVE been using this forum as a Job Exchange recently.

Now im sure there are benefits for those getting the work and for those giving it--but then you ask well wheres the trade off--what do the rest of the forum get--im not talking money--just what a forum is intended to operate for mainly---I assume sharing of ideas, raising of standards, learning, improving and getting help from others with the odd bit of work moving between members.

Of course you dont need to be MR A EINSTEIN to work out that if people wish to circulate a job all they need do is email all the members on this forum individually (not PM) however that of course INVOLVES A LOT OF WORK.

That clearly is why they dont bother and use the forum.

So its getting the job done on the cheap exploiting the forum :eek:

Now if one of the regular CONTRIBUTORS comes on here regularly with job offers thats absolutely fine--

One final idea--the decision as to WHO can offer jobs on here is left to the discretion of the forum mods who know the score;)

CRAZY K
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
If done correctly being the key.

Not participating in anything else on the forum is not. Apart from anything else, I think it's quite ill mannered.

:agree:

NXDisco
03-11-2010, 05:32 PM
My view is that people like me, who need experience... should be able to see posts that people need roadies. I know it doesnt happen often but its worth a thought.

I'm not one for offering jobs or accepting them - i'm just not silly enough to take jobs on at the moment.

One way to do it is too restrict it to supporters. I'd be more than happy to support MDD for the facility.

JDB Entertainment
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM

I feel a template for all Jobs Offered and also for the Sale Section(slightly off topic) would be a fantastic idea.

All people would need to do then would be to copy the template and fill in all the relevant details.

I have voted "Yes" as well, however should a person who does not post on the forum and looks on the internet and finds this forum on the off chance they need a gig covering short notice due to illness etc. this would cut down the chance/opportunity for them to do so.

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Im in favour as its been obvious some people HAVE been using this forum as a Job Exchange recently.

Now im sure there are benefits for those getting the work and for those giving it--but then you ask well wheres the trade off--what do the rest of the forum get--im not talking money--just what a forum is intended to operate for mainly---I assume sharing of ideas, raising of standards, learning, improving and getting help from others with the odd bit of work moving between members.

Of course you dont need to be MR A EINSTEIN to work out that if people wish to circulate a job all they need do is email all the members on this forum individually (not PM) however that of course INVOLVES A LOT OF WORK.

That clearly is why they dont bother and use the forum.

So its getting the job done on the cheap exploiting the forum :eek:

Now if one of the regular CONTRIBUTORS comes on here regularly with job offers thats absolutely fine--

One final idea--the decision as to WHO can offer jobs on here is left to the discretion of the forum mods who know the score;)

Not sure why you're quoting me there :confused:

DeckstarDeluxe
03-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I have voted "Yes" as well, however should a person who does not post on the forum and looks on the internet and finds this forum on the off chance they need a gig covering short notice due to illness etc. this would cut down the chance/opportunity for them to do so.

How often has that happened though?

andyw
03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
i voted no, although the shameful episode from a few days ago did make me think, but i came to the conclusion that someone new might be able to offer a perfectly good job(they might even join in an effort to find urgent cover), and those of us who are responsible would not just give a job to anyone(member of here or not), who we did not know anything about(unless some like a very respected member could vouch for them). And in cases where people misuse the section (which i think/hope is very rare) then immediately ban them from that section as was done the other day.

Nexus
03-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Whilst democracy rules I sometimes despair at the way this country has changed over the last ten years or so. The previous government and the EU have enforced a whole raft of generally unnecessay regulation in order to solve minor problems.These create more problems which in turn need more regulation.

Rather than a knee jerk reaction maybe a brief pause to consider events is warranted. From what I can see this Forum has run without any problem, until now, through self regulation and good will. Rather than imposing new rules, which will undoubtedly throw up more problems, maybe a rule of expulsion for breaking the Forum rules that already exist would stop this from happening again?

Only a suggestion. I'm just fed up with over regulation. (Time of life I think)

CRAZY K
03-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Not sure why you're quoting me there :confused:

I was confused by the suggestion that the practice of allowing people to make money by using the forum as an Employment Agency without giving anything back by way of contributing on here was ok.

Just my personal view Mark--no offence intended.

Mark Wild
03-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I was confused by the suggestion that the practice of allowing people to make money by using the forum as an Employment Agency without giving anything back by way of contributing on here was ok.

Just my personal view Mark--no offence intended.

None taken at all mate, still not sure why you had to quote what I said to make your own opinion on the OP known though :)

Gary (GDK)
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I think its a good idea...

Esp not allowing them to see it until they get to that level

Granted it does mean that I'm not gonna be able to view it!

Jason
03-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I vote for 100 posts, 3 months.
If the forum has a warning level per member, then the criteria should also be no or only 1 warning level.

From what I've seen, this area of the forum is a clear financial benefit to some members, and members that cannot abide the forum rules should possibly risk loosing access?

Excalibur
04-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Not unless they're established members of the forum with a track record. (The same restrictions apply to posting up stuff for sale as are being proposed for the jobs offered / required section).Well that's what we're trying to gauge here... how members feel about this.

Errrrr, point of order. There is another way of qualifying for the sale/wanted criteria. ;)

Either that, or could replies only be allowed by PM only as opposed to the open forum ?
I think that's a bad idea. We can't see if the job was filled, or how things are progressing.

I'm actually going to go against the grain here. I voted to keep it as it is.

Not that far against the grain mate, I'm pretty much with you on this one.

I feel a template for all Jobs Offered and also for the Sale Section(slightly off topic) would be a fantastic idea.

All people would need to do then would be to copy the template and fill in all the relevant details.

Now that's a good idea.

Nexus posted how he was against knee jerk reactions, and I agree totally with that sentiment. Changes introduced in this way are rarely beneficial. While I applaud the intention to improve and safeguard the system, I think the common sense of members ought to be sufficient. ( Mind you, I've just seen the flaw in that argument. :( :o :o )

Wayno
04-11-2010, 08:49 AM
I feel that some sort of template and light governence is a good idead but nothing along the lines of 3 months/100 posts, as I and many others, frequent more than one forum and are busy running our businesses so don't always have time to contribute fully and sometimes Weeks can go by where I just don't have an opinion on any of the live threads, especially if it's a subject thats been done to death before Obviously I am generalising all forums there!

In my opinion putting such restrictions in place would promote replying for the sake of replying to those that contribute on a less than frequent basis just to match the creteria which would dilute the quality of the forum and/or add to the admin/moderators workload editing/deleting said guff.

I also feel that you may be denying people well paid oppotunities from respectable businesses that don't shape up to the forum/posting creteria, that said those offering work can always approach the membership through the directory so any attempt at governance would be futile as there is a back door way to contact potential interest without any of the rules and regulations you are considering for the forum.

CRAZY K
04-11-2010, 09:36 AM
I also feel that you may be denying people well paid oppotunities from respectable businesses that don't shape up to the forum/posting creteria, that said those offering work can always approach the membership through the directory so any attempt at governance would be futile as there is a back door way to contact potential interest without any of the rules and regulations you are considering for the forum.

First point, if people want to approach each other off forum thats fine, the forum doesnt get involved with the fall out from any disasters--one of which I notice has just happened.

Never mind people making money out of an Employment Exchage --thats not what this forum is here for--unless I missed something--you overlook the fact that this forum has a reputation and its contributors aspire to high standards and even higher if possible--it is open to public scrutiny and often features in google searches which I make.

You wont know this BUT the reason I left the last forum I was on was because a certain :daft: idiot in Birmingham who featured on the BBC program that highlights conmen screwed up a customer who subsequently joined that forum and was involved in some pretty bad mouthing --:eek:

At the same time the :daft: idiot from Birmingham was posting obscenities in all directions on the forum :eek:

The mods were not doing their job, I told them so and left.

It would not happen here--however clearly its all a load of hassle no one needs.

Any association with that kind of thing is clearly not wanted by this contributor because all our "trade and stage names" are easily identified.

No thanks.

DazzyD
04-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I like the idea of the must-complete-the-fields-on-a-template thing. Information is everything when taking/passing on bookings.

I seem to have missed the whole who-ha (sic?) of the last few days so I've no idea what had brought this about. Oh, well!

Excalibur
04-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I like the idea of the must-complete-the-fields-on-a-template thing. Information is everything when taking/passing on bookings.

I seem to have missed the whole who-ha (sic?) of the last few days so I've no idea what had brought this about. Oh, well!

Believe me mate, you're lucky. ;) :( :(

Steve Cheese
05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Well I'm an established DJ for over 20 years and have been a member on this forum for over a year now. Several years on other forums.
I only post if I think I can add some value to a thread. I won't clog up other peoples threads with silly comments, smileys and wisecracks.
I only start a thread if I want to ask a question that I can't find the answer to by searching, or if I have a gig inquiry that I cannot take on myself but think some of you guys would appreciate the chance to quote for it.
So my overall post count is generally low.
If someone else is offering a gig that I am interested in then I will offer my services and discuss. If they think I am suitable then all is good.

I think by banning me from the Jobs Offered / Required section simply because I have low post numbers would be counter productive to your other members as they won't get the chance to follow up on my spare inquiries and will prevent me from helping out others buy covering their gigs.

I didn't see what has prompted this poll but I don't think that I am the type of DJ that you want to target here. Post numbers is not a good barometer of a DJ's experience and integrity.

Steve

DeckstarDeluxe
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
At the same time Steve surely you can understand why this has been suggested though. Its not fool proof no but we really dont want to see a repeat of what happened!

supersound
05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Well I'm an established DJ for over 20 years and have been a member on this forum for over a year now. Several years on other forums.
I only post if I think I can add some value to a thread. I won't clog up other peoples threads with silly comments, smileys and wisecracks.
I only start a thread if I want to ask a question that I can't find the answer to by searching, or if I have a gig inquiry that I cannot take on myself but think some of you guys would appreciate the chance to quote for it.
If someone else is offering a gig that I am interested in then I will offer my services and discuss. If they think I am suitable then all is good.

I think by banning me from the Jobs Offered / Required section simply because I have low post numbers would be counter productive to your other members as they won't get the chance to follow up on my spare inquiries and will prevent me from helping out others buy covering their gigs.

I didn't see what has prompted this poll but I don't think that I am the type of DJ that you want to target here. Post numbers is not a good barometer of a DJ's experience and integrity.

Steve

I Know I have only been here 5 minuites but I agree with Steve,I know what has prompted this debate(! read the 30 page incident)and agree something must be done to prevent the repeat performance.
i really think that common sense should prevail to this as most of us on here have either known,met up or even worked with each other.So theres the insight,people who are new and virginous(for want of a better word)have to prove themselves and their business ethics and working practices.

Paul

CRAZY K
05-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Steve

With all due respect Steve if you were looking regularly without posting ( no criticism) on here you could hardly miss the blatant use by non contributors.

Incidentally you can of course just email people off forum.

Then no one is deprived of anything.;)

That of course involves some serious hard work--:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
How about the section is moderated, so that people below 100 posts and 3 months just need approval to post?

DazzyD
05-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Believe me mate, you're lucky. ;) :( :(

Just caught up on events, Peter. :eek: :eek: :eek:

simon1969
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
It could stamp the type out that sort of thing, but it isn't fool proof and you will get some chancers on here after 300 posts or 3 months.
As someone mentioned earlier it is no reflection on this forum that some people take no pride in what they do or think nothing of letting people down.
This forum already has a reputation of being exclusive or being elitist and you don't want to alienate potential members to the forum with more regulations.
Just boot them off if they there conduct isn't what you expect of your forum members.
Prevention is better than cure I know but if you want this forum to grow IMO this isn't the way to go about it....

andyw
05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
How about the section is moderated, so that people below 100 posts and 3 months just need approval to post?

that sounds like a better idea to me, but it means more work for the moderators. at the end of the day the responsiblilty should fall on the people advertising to vet the people applying and not just take the cheapest, especialy when that person is miles away and couldn't possibly do it themself.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
This forum already has a reputation of being exclusive or being elitist

Really?

I'd like to know where you got that information from.

simon1969
05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Really?

From other dj's on other forums Darren and some dj's in the Greater Manchester / Cheshire area.

Corabar Entertainment
Really?

That leapt off the page at me too!

Wayno

And that ladies and gentlemen is in one sentance how I think a great deal of members use this and many other forums.

I'm not quite sure why one established member is so against like-minded proffessionals offering each other oppotunities, yes there has been an incident recently but that will only reflect badly on those involved and this incident aside there has possibly been 100s of events passed on/sub-contracted without incident.

I would hate for this forum to become another old boys club with the secret handshakes and feel Darrens rather simple solution is the best idea yet; Moderate the posts ensuring all relevant details have been advertised then it is up to the individuals if they wish to get involved or not.

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
From other dj's on other forums Darren and some dj's in the Greater Manchester / Cheshire area.

I know a lot of DJs around the country and people who run other forums and no-one has ever said that about us.

simon1969
05-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I know a lot of DJs around the country and people who run other forums and no-one has ever said that about us.

Not sure what to say about that really but it might be sour grapes only needs one person to say one bad thing and it dominoes.
I'm not sure why your worrying either you have plenty of decent members on here and mostly attract decent people.
I moderate on a non disco related forum and I have booted people off for misuse of it (as in joining finding out the information then leaving or doing things that could bring the forum into disrepute and they are booted off).
Moderating would be a good idea though!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Not sure what to say about that really but it might be sour grapes only needs one person to say one bad thing and it dominoes.

I know who that one member is in Manchester and of course it's sour grapes. People don't read the rules or respect the forum and then throw their toys out of their pram. People sometimes don't realise that forums are run differently and don't like it when you tell them.

And for the record, I'm not worried, but I don't like people quoting things like that without any kind of proof. :)

Corabar Entertainment
05-11-2010, 03:29 PM
How do you see that working Darren? - ie Criteria?

- and do you mean those above 3 months / x number of posts would go through automatically, just others would be moderated? That might work for posting up jobs, but it would leave the status quo on applying for jobs, since they would obviously still be able to view the forum and apply via PM

Not saying good or bad idea, just trying to see how it could work in practice.

TBH, the only reason I believe any restrictions could be beneficial is so that someone who is applying for / posting up jobs can see a 'history' of the other party to glean whether or not they think they would be a suitable party to work with. There's no way anything is fool-proof - nor is it intended to be.... caveat emptor and all that! :)

I am very much on the fence on this one.... I can see so many pros and cons on both sides.

Jonathan Ford
05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
How about some kind of obligatory feedback system? The last post in a jobs thread would be the person "offering" giving feedback (probably just a simple positive or negative) on the person accepting.

Corabar Entertainment
05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
How could it be made obligatory?

DeckstarDeluxe
05-11-2010, 05:00 PM
This is half the reason I voted no change because I cant see a way for it work for everyone.

If it was moderated would that have stopped what happeaned?

Corabar Entertainment
05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure why you keep taking it back to 'what happened', Neil. Nothing can truly stop that, and nothing will ever work for everyone (including the current procedures)

The occurrence may have prompted the debate, but that's it - AFAI am concerned.

andyw
05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
thinking of the moderating idea, do you think that some members(those that are a sandwich short of a picknic or are desperate to run before they can walk), think that if a moderator allows a reply from a newer member, that will be enough vetting for them to except the offer, and when things go bad try to blame the moderator or the forum for allowing the reply.

Corabar Entertainment
05-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Good point, Andy! :eek: :eek:

StarZSoundS
05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
It seems that the ones that always go Pete Tong are the low value ones .....so why not limit it to say £175 or over....;) ;)

What was it tonight ???.....2 for £140 in Northampton...who's going to work for that....thats just dragging us all down....:mad: :mad:

Can the Public see the Jobs Pages???I'd deffo move that out of their view!!??

Corabar Entertainment
06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Here we go again Martin!

PLEASE stop turning threads in to a pricing debate!

This is NOT a debate about pricing, and I don't want it turned in to one. It's completely irrelevant to the subject at hand.

StarZSoundS
06-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Here we go again Martin!

PLEASE stop turning threads in to a pricing debate!

This is NOT a debate about pricing, and I don't want it turned in to one. It's completely irrelevant to the subject at hand.

Missed the point completely Angela.... but never mind.:devil: :devil:

I'm sure there is a lot of jobs swapped (etc) that are of an acceptable value.All of the squabbles have been over the lesser priced ones.With a lower limit this would eradicate the problem....Don't bother putting it on if its a joke price!!;)

I don't think we want the Forum dragged through another episode like we had the other day....Words fail me if that was in the Public View!!

The £175 was pulled totally out of the air by the way!! :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
06-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Didn't miss the point at all, Martin. :mad:

But just for a minute think about what you're saying: Your idea of putting a pricing limit on it would preclude someone just passing on an enquiry they had received that they couldn't cover where they hadn't even discussed price with the client.

It would also preclude someone looking for a roadie to help out.

It would also preclude.......

....Oh heck, I could do that all night - I'm sure you get the idea. So, please leave anything to do with pricing OUT of this debate, and also stop commenting on other members pricing. Thanks.

Charlie Brown
06-11-2010, 12:23 AM
I stopped reading this thread ages ago as I knew it would end up like this.

If a mod could let us know the final outcome at the end that would be grand. :)

StarZSoundS
06-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Didn't miss the point at all, Martin. :mad:

But just for a minute think about what you're saying: Your idea of putting a pricing limit on it would preclude someone just passing on an enquiry they had received that they couldn't cover where they hadn't even discussed price with the client.

It would also preclude someone looking for a roadie to help out.

It would also preclude.......

....Oh heck, I could do that all night - I'm sure you get the idea. So, please leave anything to do with pricing OUT of this debate, and also stop commenting on other members pricing. Thanks.

Ok ...take your point on the preclusions!!:rose: :rose:

Shaun
06-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I initially brought up the discussion about placing restrictions in the jobs section, but I've had a u-turn in my opinions.

After reading all the replies it's slowly become obvious to me that there's never going to be a 'fix all solution'. When you think of it there's nobody better placed to moderate and vett the replies than the person posting the enquiry in the first place. We already have an existing 'Code of Conduct' that states if anyone lets someone down by not showing up then they are removed from the forum and database. We strive to promote best practice here so perhaps we should just be more hardline in permanently removing the offender if we ever get a repeat performance of the last few days.

Jonathan Ford
06-11-2010, 09:42 AM
How could it be made obligatory?

I suppose it would have to be a one strike and you're out, type deal. Fail to comply, and you get put into a group to whom the Jobs Offered/Required section is invisible.

simon1969
06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
I initially brought up the discussion about placing restrictions in the jobs section, but I've had a u-turn in my opinions.

After reading all the replies it's slowly become obvious to me that there's never going to be a 'fix all solution'. When you think of it there's nobody better placed to moderate and vett the replies than the person posting the enquiry in the first place. We already have an existing 'Code of Conduct' that states if anyone lets someone down by not showing up then they are removed from the forum and database. We strive to promote best practice here so perhaps we should just be more hardline in permanently removing the offender if we ever get a repeat performance of the last few days.

I agree that's what you should do, also understand why this has been brought up, and i'm sure this has happened on other forum's too.
The for sale rule is a good one, and I think you have covered all bases with your rules it's moderated well and people are generally are o.k on here.

Steve Cheese
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Can someone post a link to the 'what happened' thread so I can have a look.

Or has it been deleted?

andyw
06-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Can someone post a link to the 'what happened' thread so I can have a look.

Or has it been deleted?

how long have you got
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29306&highlight=october

Excalibur
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM

I suppose it would have to be a one strike and you're out, type deal. Fail to comply, and you get put into a group to whom the Jobs Offered/Required section is invisible.

Two very sensible posts there, pretty much encompassing my views. ;)

I think Martin had a point about price, if folk are offering £500 gigs about, there's going to be no shortage of eager Professionals offering to do them. £100 and below, and it's more in the realm of lesser mortals, possibly with lower standards. That's about as tactfully as I can put it. I don't think however, that putting a price threshold in place will help matters. Sadly, though the system, as we have seen, has its failings, I have no suggestions which might help matters. :( :o :o Sorry.

DazzyD
06-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I stopped reading this thread ages ago as I knew it would end up like this.

If a mod could let us know the final outcome at the end that would be grand. :)

Probably the best suggestion I've read so far!

Then why not just take the hardline and boot the two :muppet: now who caused this fiasco in the first place? People who value their association with the forum will then think twice about any potential no-show in the future.

how long have you got
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29306&highlight=october

Took me three days to get through it all! :eek:

andyw
06-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Took me three days to get through it all! :eek:

bet you wished you never bothered:)

Shaun
08-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Anymore thoughts on this?

soundtracker
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Yes, get it done before our latest "agent" starts peddling his wares!

Corabar Entertainment
08-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Yes, get it done before our latest "agent" starts peddling his wares!

But if members choose to apply for any jobs that they post up, and gain extra work out of it, is that such a bad thing?

(Annoying that people 'use' us like that - yes, but if members benefit.......)

Steve the DJ
09-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Anymore thoughts on this?

Yes, I understand where Steve (Cheese) is coming from as I know him, he is local, a great party DJ and one of the good guys, someone you could trust, but this is the whole crux of the issue in that quite often you have no idea about the integrity of the person offering the work if they are new.

At the very least, making someone get involved in the forum first helps you get a feel for what they are about whether they are offering or accepting work. It isn't fool proof but it is a start.

The other thing I had in mind relates to my own business. As many know I am aiming to retire from DJing at the end of 2011 (or sooner if possible), so First Dance DJs is set to become a proper agency from the beginning of next year.

My intention is to buy an advertising package and recruit DJs and offer work through my own forum section. Perhaps this should be a requirement if you are an official agency/multi op rather than offering to pass on the odd job here and there to help customers out?

welby
19-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I think it's a good idea - but why not have a seperate section for agencies wanting/supplying DJ's - so we fully understand what's on offer.

Vectis
24-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Other (non-disco) forums I've used, also vbulletin based - main top-of-my-head example being the one with 'A', 'V' and 'forums' in its name, have the ability to place 'trading bans' on members whilst allowing them to remain fully active in all other respects.

Just throwing this on the table for consideration.
:beer1:

DJ Paulie
27-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Any plans to make a Eire jobs section ? I know it might be empty most of the time, but might get used if was available ?

djdj
27-10-2011, 11:09 AM
:cool:
I think it's a good idea - but why not have a seperate section for agencies wanting/supplying DJ's - so we fully understand what's on offer.

Good Idea

Shaun
17-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Any plans to make a Eire jobs section ? I know it might be empty most of the time, but might get used if was available ?

Added. :beer1:

DJ Paulie
17-11-2011, 03:12 PM
:thumbsup: