PDA

View Full Version : Sign Writing

Ricesnaps
02-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Mr Webmaster, the car looks great!!!

However, I am considering having my new van (when I buy it) covered with my logo and details. This has been debated a lot on this site and generally the opinion seems to be "what a good way to get your gear nicked", but actually, the only time my gear will be in the van will be when i am also driving it, so it won't be left loaded.

What's the opinion on having this then? I mean perminant, non-removable signage. There are two other shows in Ipswich whio both drive vans covered in there details and I always spot them, know what they do and my mates and friends know of them because of the van.

Seems a good way to advertise doesn't it?

A1DL
02-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Ricey, it may not be left unattended, but what about the temptation it provides for thugs to follow you and attack you at 2.00am in the morning in the middle of nowhere?

And for dodgy guests/gatecrashers at a venue - they know exactly which vehicle to hang around and try to nick from when you're loading up.

And from another perspective, if you ever want to get agency work, in lots of cases the signwritten vehicle will preclude you.

Jiggles
02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
This lot might of helped you, if you lived hear berwick upon tweed.

They might send the stickers down to you so you could stick thm on your self if you asked niceley. Fantasyprints (http://www.fantasyprints.co.uk/signs/bus.php)

Oh ye they also do banners, t-shirts, posters, mugs, mouse mats anything you can think of and would probibly do it even "Website Design"

CRAZY K
02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Oh-do agencies ask if you have a signwritten van?

New one on me.

Rice, two negatives come to mind--

1. What happens when you want to sell the van? How do you get the signwriting removed? At high cost I assume?

2. If left outside a gig theres more chance of a break in cos they think you might have left something useful in it--even if you havent :sad:
Still leaves you with a broken window or door :sad:

Why not use magnetics--may look slightly less attractive but still do the advertising job --

To be frank I cant EVER remember buying a service or product from someone who I got to approach because their vehicle was signwritten.

Might be worth knowing if Builders or other Discos pick up business this way--must be more effective than YP though :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Almost forgot--driving home late at night--the Law!!!

Not around very often these late nights but bound to stop you if they have nothing else on!

Overloaded van sir??????????????

CRAZY K

A1DL
02-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh-do agencies ask if you have a signwritten van?

CRAZY K

My Company does, and I know we're not alone in that.

Search on "signwritten" and there's a comprehensive previous thread on the subject from a few months ago

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-08-2006, 09:25 PM
To be frank I cant EVER remember buying a service or product from someone who I got to approach because their vehicle was signwritten.

CRAZY K

I was thinking that as I was reading the thread, and also half the time you are going to be driving about it the dark, so will people actually see it?

Jiggles
02-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I was thinking that as I was reading the thread, and also half the time you are going to be driving about it the dark, so will people actually see it?

Why not use glow in the dark stickers :teeth:

Ricesnaps
02-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Ricey, it may not be left unattended, but what about the temptation it provides for thugs to follow you and attack you at 2.00am in the morning in the middle of nowhere?

And for dodgy guests/gatecrashers at a venue - they know exactly which vehicle to hang around and try to nick from when you're loading up.

And from another perspective, if you ever want to get agency work, in lots of cases the signwritten vehicle will preclude you.
Mmm, now as I see it, When I do a gig now, I use a trailer, which even though it doesn't say "I'm a disco" on the side, makes it perfectly obvious that the noise coming from the venue probably came from that vehicle or trailer or car and in 25 years of doing this I have never ever had anyone attack me or any thugs waiting for me and certainly nothing stolen, so I am doubtful that the problem at venues would be any worse with my name on the side. After all, why don't builers vans get broken in to when there outside a site on a job - in fact, don't most of them leave the vans wide open anyway? In fact as I see it we are probably one of the only trades that seem to have a problem with sign written vehicles - just curious to know why? I mean my mates in Bury who run a theatre hire company and usually have many thousands of pounds worth of gear (at the very least) have all of there transits sign written and you always know its them, the chocolate fountain company we buy from is Essex has all signwritten vehicles (and the gear inside them is likely to be just as valuable as ours). So why don't we do it?

To be honest, I would have thought that the publicity from a van would be great. The guest who doesn't take a card will have no problem knowing what your called. A potential client see's you on the road - what's to stop them having a look at the website. And doesn't it actually get your name out there much more than an advert in a paper would?

Really interested to hear from those of you who DO have signwritten vans

CRAZY K
02-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Good luck with it anyway Rice, I would think you would get better results spending your money on promoting yourself at successful gigs using freebies, giveaways etc. with your Contact number on it.

If I saw a Signwritten Builders Van or a Disco driving down the road WHY would I take any notice of it and write down a phone number or website---AND how do you do that whilst driving anyway? :teeth:

There are hundreds and hundreds of Builders and Discos available in Yellow Pages and on the Internet.

How could anyone judge if you were worth contacting?

See paragraph one.

Personally I reckon you will get more gigs from people remembering your outstanding DJ skills than remembering whats on the side of your van.

I really think the Internet has completely changed the marketing situation in Entertainment---but if you feel good about your Van being signwritten---go for it!

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
02-08-2006, 10:51 PM
It may work more on a subliminal level. ie someone sees the van, your name & logo sinks into their subconcious, sometime later they are looking for a disco and search on the internet or whatever, and come across your advert "Ooh! I've heard of them somewhere before!"

BeerFunk
02-08-2006, 11:07 PM
It may work more on a subliminal level. ie someone sees the van, your name & logo sinks into their subconcious, sometime later they are looking for a disco and search on the internet or whatever, and come across your advert "Ooh! I've heard of them somewhere before!"
Yes, that's right, and not only that - if you have a well presented company van with your logo on it, people are gonna be thinking "they must be at the top of their game, I want the best disco I can get, so I'll book them!".

As for the breaking in, I think you just have to run the risk? It's unlikely anyway.

Ricesnaps
03-08-2006, 07:10 AM
Yes, that's right, and not only that - if you have a well presented company van with your logo on it, people are gonna be thinking "they must be at the top of their game, I want the best disco I can get, so I'll book them!".

As for the breaking in, I think you just have to run the risk? It's unlikely anyway.
You've both hit the nail on the head I think - certainly this is exactly what I was thinking. It works for lots of companies, take the sky vans for example, I always remember them when I see them. I think the comments about it being better to promote yourself through your work is valid, but what are you doing by parking a logo covered van outside a place you are doing a storming gig? the people leave and see you name and number!

So does anyone here actually have a sign written van?

Have a disco
03-08-2006, 09:34 AM
May I suggest you put the we leave no valuables in the vehicle stcker near all doors, sort of thingy when not in use. This acts as a deterant as most of the time then gear I presume will be stored somewhere else when not in use.

Sign written vans are great for advertising the Simpler & Bolder the better even in reverse at the front for those looking in there mirrors and yep in illuminous neon works great

CRAZY K
03-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I see where you are coming from Angela :teeth:

Hope Rice was driving the van well at the time :sad:

Still interested to hear factual feedback on the power of vehicle advertising,
like--"I saw the website /phone details on the side of your van"

We always ask where people found our details--but only IF they book.

After all its easy to get enquiries,

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Still interested to hear factual feedback on the power of vehicle advertising, like--"I saw the website /phone details on the side of your van"Personally, I doubt that you would get that very often at all, because even if they have seen the van, the chances are they would wait until the appropriate time and look up the number: I think it will be one of those things which are immeasurable.

Badger - you mentioned getting it done in reverse, so that it can be read in mirrors...... God I hate that! (one of my little quirks! :) )

BeerFunk
03-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Yes, I think we're all intelligent enough to decipher something which appears back to front!?

NeilP
03-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Some insurance companies will actually charge you more for having your vehicle signwritten, as you are an obvious target for your competitors. Pathetic i know, but there you go!!

CRAZY K
03-08-2006, 03:35 PM
So how do they know if its signwritten?

Do they ask?

Never heard of that before :sad:

CRAZY K

Have a disco
03-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I have they up the premiums by £50 a year incase of damage in an accident