PDA

View Full Version : Quick question P.A.T.

jwpentgroup
03-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Just had all my equipment P.A.T. checked again, this time for the first time my laptop computer.

One thing i noticed was when the guy was checking it, he only checked the cables & adaptors, nothing actually ever went into the laptop.

Far be it from me to tell a professional electrician how to do his job though, was just curious if this was the case.

Also, i've been handed around 17 documents, each one for each piece of equipment checked, do i have to send all of these the Mobile Disco Dir?

Cheers

Larry B Entertainment
03-08-2006, 10:18 AM
The laptop will be class 2 so therefore not needed to be plugged into the tester because there is no earth bond. But he should have still done a visual inspection of the laptop.

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Also, i've been handed around 17 documents, each one for each piece of equipment checked, do i have to send all of these the Mobile Disco Dir?

Cheers

Did you not get a summary?

jwpentgroup
03-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Not today - think he said i would get something through the post though.

That's cool :)

A1DL
04-08-2006, 08:45 PM
The laptop will be class 2 so therefore not needed to be plugged into the tester because there is no earth bond. But he should have still done a visual inspection of the laptop.

That is incorrect.

Whilst Class II appliances are, by definition, not tested for Earth bonding, they ARE still connected to the PAT Tester to perform Insulation, Continuity and Run tests.

HOWEVER, I would imagine the reasons why the laptop itself was not connected to the PAT tester is that it is supplied from a low voltage (typically 20v) powerpack (ac adapter).

It is this ac adapter that should have been connected to the PAT Tester and tested as a class II appliance.

You are correct in stating that a visual inspection should have been carried out - this is the case on ALL equipment and leads, irrespective of Class, and before connecting to the PAT tester

Hope this clarifies

Tony