PDA

View Full Version : Processor Speeds

Dynamic Entertainment
13-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Im having a very blonde moment right now.... ;)

Serato needs a processor thats a minimum of 1.6GHz to run, if i buy a dual core system that has 1.3GHz per core...the total is 2.6GHz...which is more than ample...right...please ;)

Mark Wild
13-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Correct !

Jason
13-11-2010, 07:48 PM
The actual performance will be 2 cores, each running at 2.6Ghz.
Code running on the L1 Cache will be fast, but in most multi-core systems, the bottleneck will be the FSB (Front-Side Bus.. the interface between CPU and memory/DDR)

So, quick answer- Yes, all will be fine.

Better answer, get a system with a nice high FSB and fast ram (that matches/exceeds this speed) to get the best out of it.

Jiggles
13-11-2010, 07:49 PM
No not exactly! Each core is 1.3GHz. The only time it "adds up" is when a program can spread the load across both processors. A lot of programs cant! Think of a Core 2 Duo as having two separate processors but in the one package.

Dynamic Entertainment
13-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Thats what i was wonderin Callum. Im 99 percent sure that SSL doesnt spread the load so to speak and wondered if the processors would just split it as a matter4of course.

Megamix
14-11-2010, 12:29 AM
get a mac :sofa:

Jiggles
14-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Thats what i was wonderin Callum. Im 99 percent sure that SSL doesnt spread the load so to speak and wondered if the processors would just split it as a matter4of course.

No not normally sadly. Sometimes I have seen on my Quad Core Windoz 7 puts a high demanding app on the lowest loaded processor upon opening. Meaning that Windoz could be running on one while SSL on the other. Doesn't happen all the time which is a bummer.

spin mobile disco
14-11-2010, 01:13 AM
If the program can only use 1 core then you may find its a problem. Sadly considering dual and above cores have been available for so long so many programs still do not make use of them. Also some operating systems are not able to use them correctly. Case in point the x series of amd processors had huge problems with xp as the cores where unbalanced in speed. They had to develop a clock program to slow down the fastest processor so it would integrate with the slower one via software patch.