PDA

View Full Version : Lexmark printers?

Corabar Entertainment
14-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I've always used Canon all-in-one inkjets, which produce very good results, but Lexmark have some very good offers on at the moment so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and what they thought of the quality.

Penfold42
14-11-2010, 03:10 PM
We have a Lexmark and although not a bad printer it tended to go through cartridges pretty quick. (Black + Colour)
Tended to get exspnsive that way - my fault should have got a mixed on really - you live and learn.
It also, when replaced, needed to be reinstalled everytime. Copier was a good quality.....all in all....not bad 7/10.

IMO. :)

Rowleys
14-11-2010, 03:12 PM
The way it goes lexmark do really cheap printer but the ink it well top money.

Epson have really good printers and cheap ink

Corabar Entertainment
14-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Actually, the ones I'm looking at are really good on ink, and are cited by the review bodies inc. 'Which' as being some of the most cost-effective on consumables (eg B&W 1p per page!)

They are currently offering £150 or £200 cash-back, plus a 5 year warranty on their top of the range all-in-one inkjets, which make them very attractive...... but only if the print/copy/scan quality is up to par.

Epson - no thank you. Not had good experiences with them! (Owned one as a back-up printer and also had experience in mainstream office environments)

Vectis
14-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Not an inkjet user; I have the 724? colour laser and it's a cracking machine. Very well screwed together and very reasonable running costs. Software works a treat on all platforms including OSX (unusually) and isn't full of bloat. Just how a good printer driver should be.

As a business Lexmark user of old, I have no problems with them whatsoever.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I normally go for HP and have to say that the current machine is very fast and I have only changed the carts (4 of them) probably once or twice in the 2 years that I've had it. They do seem to last a while.

I had Lexmark years ago, but it was very basic, so probably not what you're looking at.

Charlie Brown
14-11-2010, 04:07 PM
At work they use HP printers throughout.

Fantastic quality and very reliable.

simonp
14-11-2010, 05:21 PM
I've had the Lexmark X4650 (http://www.lexmark.co.uk/lexmark/product/home/912/0,6970,252735_653293766_1223681936_en,00.html?tabI d=1) for nearly 2 years now Angela, I've had no problems with it - It's also Wi-Fi - The print quality is great and I like the added bonus of the Lexmark Productivity Studio as well.

DazzyD
15-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I've had Lexmark's in the past but found a set of ink carts cost more than the printer. :eek: For example, Argos were selling a printer for £29.99 but a set of carts was about £36! Something not quite right there!

These days I have an HP MFP which is really good and the print-per-page costs are reasonable. I also have an older compact Canon printer which I can take to client meetings to print info there and then.

I'm now looking at a Samsung colour laser which I'm hoping to order after Christmas - when I have spendable funds again!

Larry B Entertainment
15-11-2010, 01:17 PM
I always find the cheaper the printer, the more expensive the ink is. I have had cheap Lexmarks but found it was cheaper to buy a new printer everytime rather than buying 2 cartridges that woulod work out £10 more expensive.

Corabar Entertainment
15-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Hello... is anybody listening?......
Actually, the ones I'm looking at are really good on ink, and are cited by the review bodies inc. 'Which' as being some of the most cost-effective on consumables (eg B&W 1p per page!)
Anyway, thanks to those who have passed on info about the print / copy / scan quality, which is what I was after.

notroubleclubber
16-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Ive got an epson bx300f. can be bought for around 60quid now and prints,scans and faxs as well as photocopys without needing the pc on. Ive had it for a year and to change the inks twice in a normal family enviroment.
I use cheaper inks from ebay at about £6 for the set and they are fine.

Dynamic Entertainment
16-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Angela. Which one were you looking at?

Corabar Entertainment
16-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Probably this one: Lexmark Platinum Pro905 (http://www.lexmark.co.uk/lexmark/product/home/26/0,6970,252735_653293766_1356701722_en,00.html)

Jiggles
16-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Had one Lexmark, never again. Just ate ink! Then the ink at £35 a pop. Was cheaper getting a new printer each time.

abracadabradisco
19-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I had a Cannon before buying the Epsom that I have used for 2 years now .
The cannon was ok but the Epsom from Tesco at £34 is better and ink lasts a long time depending on quality of print. I buy replacement, 3 colour and black, cartridges for £4.99 and have no problems at all.
I must admit in high quality print it is not fast.

Larry B Entertainment
19-11-2010, 09:32 AM
I must admit in high quality print it is not fast.

You will find this is the case with most printers.

andyw
19-11-2010, 11:06 AM
we had a lexmark and had no problems with it at all in reality, when the ink ran out i priced around and found it was cheaper to buy a new printer, i then found a very good deal on an hp printer so bought that one, i now think the quality of the printing on the hp is more crisp and clean(if that makes sense) on the hp then it was on the lexmark, but the printer you are looking at is far superior to the one i had

Corabar Steve
19-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I had a Cannon before buying the Epsom
I thought that was a racecourse, do they make printers too?

Eitherway, they're not Lexmarks

Twinspin
20-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Ive had one of the older Lexmark models with one of my first PC's The price of the ink cartridges for them was really expensive.

So expensive it wouldnt cost much more to replace the printer if not the same price by the time you replace all cartridges in it.

I use Epson for my printers. Ive got an R300 photojet my printer now must be 6/7 years old roughly and its still going strong. Id also have a look at one of the latest Epson printers as well and check out the replacement cartridge costs. Epson were cheaper but im not sure if thats still the case.

Corabar Entertainment
20-11-2010, 12:34 AM

They are currently offering £150 or £200 cash-back, plus a 5 year warranty on their top of the range all-in-one inkjets, which make them very attractive...... but only if the print/copy/scan quality is up to par.

Epson - no thank you. Not had good experiences with them! (Owned one as a back-up printer and also had experience in mainstream office environments)
... but thanks anyway, John.

As I've said, what I'm really looking for is info about the QUALITY of the printing / scanning / copying, so if anyone has any info / comparisons to others on that, please keep info coming

:thanks:

Booche
20-11-2010, 12:56 AM
When i was at a well known PC superstore (well less of the super) lol

I used to deal with alot of printers and i must say i still own the Epson R300 aswell (after 7years) and its still going strong and cheap as anything to replace ink.

But anyway the lexmarks used to be really good quality print outs but again it was down to the cost of ink/toners depending on which model you wanted etc

The model i was really impressed with was a Kodak :eek: the inks were cheap but they were a all in one so if you used alot of a certain color it worked out expensive :( but really top quality print outs for photos and the likes (forgot the exact model though).

Best advice would be if your using it for Business (invoices/letters/booking forms etc) why not look at going down the rental side of things (of a toner printer) from the well known superstore i worked at as i know on a rental aggreement it work out cheaper AND after 2years you can change so you will always be up to date with the models. Plus it will work out cheaper VAT side.

If its for the likes of personnal use and the odd business thing then i cannot reccomend the Epson r300 more lol (i know you didn't want to see/hear this) but i use it for all my design artwork, letters, business cards, posters etc etc etc and it also has the disc printing facility on it.

Sorry if i've gone off topic or printer.

Cheers Dave :)