PDA

View Full Version : More than 2 decks???

STEVE HANLEY
21-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Inspired by Mike W's thread about the new version of VDJ. Does anyone else dj on more than 2 decks?

I Know Carl Cox was one the first to DJ on four 1210's and Xpress 2 do it on six, but there's 3 of them and they have 2 decks each.

Just can't see the point myself:confused: :confused:

Rowleys
21-11-2010, 05:12 PM
well... i use 4 decks. 2 music and 4 for karaoke on vdj

DeckstarDeluxe
21-11-2010, 05:14 PM
well... i use 4 decks. 2 music and 4 for karaoke on vdj
WHOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

The only time I've felt the need for more than two decks is when I wanted to drop in the odd word or line from an accepella over two tracks being mixed which to be fair isnt that often.

Ecstatic Events
21-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Not in a mobile environment, but very much so for club work and personal use. Traktor Pro with a Xone:4D (or any midi controller) enables you to loop intro's/breaks/basslines/acapellas over 4 decks and essentially make new tracks/remixes LIVE, endless fun. Although it can get a little hectic at times!! Not sure I'd use a silly amount of decks that Virtual DJ offer mind you :)

BeerFunk
21-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Not for mobile use, no. Technically, I could include the backup which would make 4 decks, but that doesn't really count.

DJ James Lake
21-11-2010, 06:03 PM
I musty say I use 3 decks quite often, handy for weddings and birthdays where you can leave the 1st dance or happy birthday song cue'd ready for use at the right time.

I've lost count of how many times at birthdays they plan to bring the cake out at the end of song and it doesnt come on time so really useful to have a third deck

yourdj
21-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Would be useful with three decks. I often loop and out of a song into a new one and have to stop it before the end to cue a new track. A tad annoying.

supersound
21-11-2010, 06:18 PM
:jumping: I think the last time steve used 4 decks was on a ferry

WWDJ
21-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Two decks in Traktor Pro (I only have an Audio 4 DJ) and trigger samples etc on my HD2500, so yes!

STEVE HANLEY
21-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I musty say I use 3 decks quite often, handy for weddings and birthdays where you can leave the 1st dance or happy birthday song cue'd ready for use at the right time.

I've lost count of how many times at birthdays they plan to bring the cake out at the end of song and it doesnt come on time so really useful to have a third deck

Yeah agree with that one. Especially when you're told can you play such and such a track when the star(s) of the show come through the doors. So you cue it up and there's no sign of them for another 20 minutes

:jumping: I think the last time steve used 4 decks was on a ferry

Yes and I kept getting seasick. Hence the reason why I never joined The Royal Marines:D :D

spin mobile disco
21-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Use 4 here. Mainly for backup but also handy for those times you need a track or 2 to just be there with no delay or warning.

Dynamic Entertainment
21-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Mobile work...nope 2 is enough.

Club work, im usually flitting between 2 and 4 using 2 CDJs (running Serato) and 1210's...but thave been known to fire up seratos MIDI and run 6 decks (2x 1210s, 2x CDJs & 2x Serato MIDI enabled)

NKR
21-11-2010, 08:20 PM
2 digital and 2 CD decks always live. Allows me to have back up cued in one CD deck in case of failure of digital system. Also allows me to keep my options open.

Excalibur
22-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Inspired by Mike W's thread about the new version of VDJ. Does anyone else dj on more than 2 decks?

I Know Carl Cox was one the first to DJ on four 1210's and Xpress 2 do it on six, but there's 3 of them and they have 2 decks each.

Always four. As has been said, if you have a special track, it can be left cued up on one.

Creature
22-11-2010, 06:54 AM
tecnically i do - my trusty denon for me cds and me cortex for those legal mp3s that i have purchased.

couldnt imagine working with just 2 decks anymore

Steve the DJ
22-11-2010, 07:53 AM
2 digital and 2 CD decks always live. Allows me to have back up cued in one CD deck in case of failure of digital system. Also allows me to keep my options open.

Same here.

If OtsAV ever got a third deck I would probably drop the CD players though.

Adam_F
22-11-2010, 01:16 PM
In my current club res I'm using their 2 CDJ 1000s with my 2000s, and find I'm using them all (well won't be this week after some :Censored: spilt a bottle of Smirnoff Ice over one of the 1000s :Censored: :Censored: )

CRAZY K
22-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Mini Disc is my third deck ---

and then theres the I pod

:sofa:

MagicMusic
22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I regularly use a third or fourth deck to cue up requests or happy birthday / first dance.

Its a luxury I don't really need but I use Traktor and as far as I'm aware its the only way to have track ready to rock.

I used to frequently make use of 4 decks, 2 vinyl and 2 cd when mixing it up club style or for fun. I felt it took the stress away as I'm all beatmatched up as many as 3 tracks in advance.

In the mobile situation I'm sure that's just overkill though!

DeckstarDeluxe
22-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Maybe I've read the OP wrong but wasnt this about using more than 2 decks at once rather than just having access to more than 2 decks (which is something I'm sure we all have)

MagicMusic
22-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Maybe I've read the OP wrong but wasnt this about using more than 2 decks at once rather than just having access to more than 2 decks (which is something I'm sure we all have)

In that case I would rarely use a 3rd or 4th deck in a mobile situation.

STEVE HANLEY
22-11-2010, 08:12 PM

You read it correctly the first time Neil. I meant just for a general djing situation. Not to have emergency tracks cued up. In case of failure.

If that was the case I have six decks 2 my IDJ2......2 VDJ5 on my laptop and my old numark cd decks and mixer in the car outside

TONYTIGER
22-11-2010, 09:08 PM
MEP 7000 so 4 for me

DiscoPromotions
22-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Mixmeister with controller and 4 decks when I am getting creative in my mixes

Corabar Entertainment
22-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Believe it or not, on the rare occasions I do a full gig myself, I work from 4 decks (prefer to have the peace of mind of working ahead of myself and knowing I've got 3 tracks queued up and ready to go.)

...and all our DJs have this facility (although I couldn't say for certain whether or not they use all 4 decks all the time)

NKR
23-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Looking at the discussion about the OP then I would suggest very few on here would be using three decks in a live situation for mixing in and out. It would be unlikely to be necessary and takes a certain amount of dexerity and skill to master using three decks in a live club situation (effectively).
I doubt I could manage it manually (none of this auto beat sync stuff - I mean getting to grips with the track by ear the old way not letting the software sync it for you).