PDA

View Full Version : DJ Software

MikeW
23-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone

In my quest to look for new DJ Software, I was just wondering what everyone else uses.

I am leaning towards Virtual DJ at the moment.

I thought I would try and do a poll, hopefully it has not been done before.

So what software (if you are a computer DJ do you use?)

PS if this attempt at a poll does not work, I may need some help (thanks in advance Angela :) :)

dmckaraoke
23-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I mainly use club dj pro..and have done very happily now for 3 yrs

yourdj
23-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes serato is in the lead. Well i am the only person posting so far. :).
Damn karaoke man beat me to it. :)

You could break serato in to itch and scratch as they are different. :)

http://simpsonseps.com/dlimg/itchy_y_scratchy.gif

MikeW
23-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Yes serato is in the lead. Well i am the only person posting so far. :).
Damn karaoke man beat me to it. :)

You could break serato in to itch and scratch as they are different. :)

http://simpsonseps.com/dlimg/itchy_y_scratchy.gif

Sorry to all Serato users. I obviously haven't researched it enough :)

Corabar Steve
23-11-2010, 09:49 PM
You'd think if people voted other they'd say what it was in the thread. (apart from David)

Charlie Brown
23-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Virtual Dj for me.

yourdj
23-11-2010, 09:50 PM
You'd think if people voted other they'd say what it was in the thread. (apart from David)

I did I said Serato. :confused:

Corabar Steve
23-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Serato is an option other than other

Have you been on the vino again?

Tom Lovick
23-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Bpm studio for me!!

Alex
23-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I use Club VJ Pro... and Club DJ Pro.

They are currently selling version 5.... but I MUCH prefer version 4 of Club VJ

Both versions link up to external controllers... and have a lot of extra features too.
Both support SOOOO many formats it's unreal... Including DRM files too!

http://www.clubdjpro.com/

yourdj
23-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Have you been on the vino again?

No i am just a bit thick :o

I also use Djay for the Mac which is excellent.

Corabar Steve
23-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Did you get distracted by a reflective surface?

Corabar Entertainment
23-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Pssst!

:ontopic:

:whistle:

Daryll
23-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I voted other , I use Ultramixer pro

Daryll

flatliners
23-11-2010, 11:11 PM
virtual dj for me

Megamix
23-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Djay (other)

AndyC
24-11-2010, 12:40 AM
rpm for me

DB Entertainments
24-11-2010, 03:13 AM
Virtual DJ for Mobile Gigs, Traktor for Club Gigs

DJ Frankie
24-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Ots Av for me

DazzyD
24-11-2010, 06:03 AM
I voted for VDJ as it's what I use most but I also have Tracktor on my current gigging laptop. On my XP laptop, I still have BPM which occasionally gets a run out and, of course, that reliable backup that is MediaMonkey is on all my machines.

Ecstatic Events
24-11-2010, 06:24 AM
I use a combination of three which are all loaded onto my main playout.

Traktor Pro
Virtual DJ
MediaMonkey

I have to say, Virtual DJ seems the most fitting for a mobile environment IMO, I'll no doubt be using it alot more when the iPhone app is approved and released.

MikeW
24-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks very much for all your feedback guys. As I said at the start, I am looking at Virtual DJ ( I have downloaded the free version, so I have 20 days to get to grips with it ) :confused: I am sure it does everything I want it to do, the lay out is obviously different to PCDJ Dex!

Silver
24-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Ots for me, without a doubt the most reliable software on the market. However, whenever this topic rears its head, more often than not the single most important issue has not been addressed .... What do YOU want the programme to do for YOU, what type of dj are you? Without you letting people know all that is going to happen is pages full of personal tastes.

Ots for me is awesome, reliable, reliable, reliable, great sound with the Bose, simple to use. I'm not at the sharp end of mixing so don't need 99 decks or loads of effects. However, if you are mixing it with the best then Ots would probably not be for you.

Do you show videos, slideshows?

I do have licensed copies of Virtual, Mixmeister and Traktor, so I do know what I am talking about.

James
24-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Traktor 3.4 for me

I haven't bothered upgradig to the new version, as the one i have does everything i want it to

scoopd
24-11-2010, 09:48 AM
OTS has never failed on me in all the times I've been using it.Unlike PCDJ which acted up every second gig

djdave01
24-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Im also a Virtual DJ user, not only it is simple to use, its also great for Karaoke and video use.

Also am eager to see the Ipad app for it, if it ever gets released.

simonp
24-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Traktor 3.4 for me

WTF, 3.4 doesn't exist :muppet: - The latest version of Traktor Pro and TSP is 1.2.7 and of course there is the Traktor S4 that comes bundled with the NI Kontrol S4

Back on topic - I ticked Traktor (Pro, not Scratch Pro), but also have Serato, Ableton & Mixmeister.

DazzyD
24-11-2010, 01:09 PM
WTF, 3.4 doesn't exist :muppet: - The latest version of Traktor Pro and TSP is 1.2.7 and of course there is the Traktor S4 that comes bundled with the NI Kontrol S4

Back on topic - I ticked Traktor (Pro, not Scratch Pro), but also have Serato, Ableton & Mixmeister.

According to the Native Instruments forum it does:

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/forum/showthread.php?t=50970

It also gets a mention on the StantonDJ and Denon forums.

DB Entertainments
24-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes it does Exist - it was one of the releases before Traktor Pro....

Ecstatic Events
24-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Traktor (Pro, not Scratch Pro)

And the difference is?

Traktor Scratch Pro just has the abilty to understand time code whereas Traktor Pro does not??? Oh, and there's the scratch library..

Am I missing something :confused:

welby
24-11-2010, 03:55 PM
VDJ for me.

Music/Videos/Karaoke/Text-2-Screen

Just works.

Matty12
24-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I use Numark Mixmeister and Numark cue both with controllers both very good and I don't really like Traktor.

yourdj
24-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Why were a full option of main programs not added to this poll :)

ie: DJAY, mixmeister etc.

If there is anyone down south that can teach me traktor then I would love that as I do not get it!

MikeW
24-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Ots for me, without a doubt the most reliable software on the market. However, whenever this topic rears its head, more often than not the single most important issue has not been addressed .... What do YOU want the programme to do for YOU, what type of dj are you? Without you letting people know all that is going to happen is pages full of personal tastes.

Ots for me is awesome, reliable, reliable, reliable, great sound with the Bose, simple to use. I'm not at the sharp end of mixing so don't need 99 decks or loads of effects. However, if you are mixing it with the best then Ots would probably not be for you.

Do you show videos, slideshows?

I do have licensed copies of Virtual, Mixmeister and Traktor, so I do know what I am talking about.

Good question. When I set up the poll, I really only wanted to find out what the majority of members were using (possibly a safety in numbers thing).

But in answer to your question, what do I want it to do:

All I want is a system that is reliable, easy to use, will let me do a bit of mixing and possibly in the future, videos/slideshows.

Thanks again everyone.

cosmicdiscos
24-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I use Sam Party DJ by Spacial Audio, used it for five years now, never let me down once.

Daryll
24-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I still have a copy of Sam party DJ , good software , but horrid interface , a plus point is the continuous read out of when a bunch of tracks , or indeed a playlist , will end.
I have downloaded just about all the DJ software there is , most is good , but nothing has given me the "wow" factor as yet.

Daryll

Silver
25-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Good question. When I set up the poll, I really only wanted to find out what the majority of members were using (possibly a safety in numbers thing).

But in answer to your question, what do I want it to do:

All I want is a system that is reliable, easy to use, will let me do a bit of mixing and possibly in the future, videos/slideshows.

Thanks again everyone.

In that case Mike, I would suggest if you can, holding back on a purchase. Ots could be the programme for you. It's stable, plus first class with videos and slideshows. The reason I suggest waiting is it's due for a release soon, it's just had a maintenance one and many people think a 'features' release is not far away.

Currently pure clubby type mixing is not one of it's strongest points. They have mapped in many controllers but nowhere near the amount Virtual has.

There are two downers though with Ots, one is that, initially it is a very time consumming beast. You have to convert all mp3's or whatever you use into Ots files and edit them. You have intro and outro markers (used for mixing), often you have different bpms on the intro to the outro, plus other edit points to do. Trust me it can take an awful long time to change a library. However, once it's done it's done for life.

The other is you need a license for each machine you have it installed on. Therefore I have purchased two (Mr backup). There is a free one available for home use but every few minutes you get a big OTS AV boom out over your speakers. At home it's not a prob! :D

Have a look at the Ots forum, you get very very few people complaining about stability compared to ANY other programme available!

1878blues
25-11-2010, 12:51 PM
traktor ftw

good vibrations
25-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I have used otsdj for the past 5 years and cant ever see me changing.

simonp
25-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Yes it does Exist - it was one of the releases before Traktor Pro....

Apologies - I read the post as he had the version of Traktor Pro 3.4 - I failed to realise it was an old discontinued version of Traktor that was being used :o

And the difference is?

Traktor Scratch Pro just has the abilty to understand time code whereas Traktor Pro does not??? Oh, and there's the scratch library..

:lol: you've just answered your own question :muppet: there is the :Censored: difference :rofl:

MikeW
26-11-2010, 06:30 AM
In that case Mike, I would suggest if you can, holding back on a purchase. Ots could be the programme for you. It's stable, plus first class with videos and slideshows. The reason I suggest waiting is it's due for a release soon, it's just had a maintenance one and many people think a 'features' release is not far away.

Currently pure clubby type mixing is not one of it's strongest points. They have mapped in many controllers but nowhere near the amount Virtual has.

There are two downers though with Ots, one is that, initially it is a very time consumming beast. You have to convert all mp3's or whatever you use into Ots files and edit them. You have intro and outro markers (used for mixing), often you have different bpms on the intro to the outro, plus other edit points to do. Trust me it can take an awful long time to change a library. However, once it's done it's done for life.

The other is you need a license for each machine you have it installed on. Therefore I have purchased two (Mr backup). There is a free one available for home use but every few minutes you get a big OTS AV boom out over your speakers. At home it's not a prob! :D

Have a look at the Ots forum, you get very very few people complaining about stability compared to ANY other programme available!

Thanks very much for that. I am using the free download of VDJ at the moment. (Still finding my way round it) but really enjoying it.

MikeW
26-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Can I ask another question? The guys and girls who use Virtual DJ, How stable do you find it, any freezing/crashing issues?

Oh and another question :) If I want to make a list of groups which I would play most nights, would I make it up in a virtual folder? If so can I re-arrange the music within the folder? I can't seem to move the tracks up and down within the folder. And when I have them in order do they stay that way.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I just haven't worked it out yet :daft:

Thanks again.

Mike.

Steve the DJ
26-11-2010, 07:56 AM
I voted "Other" because I use OtsAV.

Brilliant automation, 100% reliable and works very well with a Denon HC4500, but it's not really a sensible choice if you are a creative mixing DJ.

DeckstarDeluxe
26-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Can I ask another question? The guys and girls who use Virtual DJ, How stable do you find it, any freezing/crashing issues?

Oh and another question :) If I want to make a list of groups which I would play most nights, would I make it up in a virtual folder? If so can I re-arrange the music within the folder? I can't seem to move the tracks up and down within the folder. And when I have them in order do they stay that way.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, I just haven't worked it out yet :daft:

Thanks again.

Mike.

Mine has never crashed in over two years of using it. I did have some slight hiccups when loading a track onto one deck that "freezes" the screen for a second or two awhile ago so stripped the laptop of games and non djing files so its purely a gig machine now. Works much better and smoother.

In regards to how you list your music I have mine in folders on the HD rather than making up playlists (which would work just as well). For example I have folders such as 90's pop, 90's popular pop, 90's indie/rock, 90's popular indie/rock etc.... You have the tracks you play more often in the popular folders and if you get a gig where that sort of music is going to make up most of the evening you can look into the other folder for tracks you can play.

MikeW
26-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Mine has never crashed in over two years of using it. I did have some slight hiccups when loading a track onto one deck that "freezes" the screen for a second or two awhile ago so stripped the laptop of games and non djing files so its purely a gig machine now. Works much better and smoother.

In regards to how you list your music I have mine in folders on the HD rather than making up playlists (which would work just as well). For example I have folders such as 90's pop, 90's popular pop, 90's indie/rock, 90's popular indie/rock etc.... You have the tracks you play more often in the popular folders and if you get a gig where that sort of music is going to make up most of the evening you can look into the other folder for tracks you can play.

Thanks very much for that. My main question was, how do you move the tracks within the folder ie third track to the top and will it stay that way when you come out and go back in?

DeckstarDeluxe
26-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Mike I dont "Move" files.

How I operate is you only have two decks, one active and one for the next tune. Below I have two windows which I use. One is for searching my HD for folders/files and on the right you have a playlist window. What I do is drag and drop various songs I think I will use onto that and refer to it during the night.

Lets say for example I'm doing an 18th birthday party the first thing I would do is go into my 10's pop/urban/dance folders and pick out the popular tracks that I will play. As the night goes on I can drag and drop from the playlist onto one of the decks and like wise I can browse the hd later on if for example it becomes clear to me they love cheese in which case I'll head off to the folders that contain such tunes.

Ecstatic Events
26-11-2010, 09:56 AM
:lol: you've just answered your own question :muppet: there is the :Censored: difference :rofl:

Any need for :muppet: ???

There is practically NO difference between the two versions. Your original post read like the two versions were completely different. :mad:

MikeW
26-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Mike I dont "Move" files.

How I operate is you only have two decks, one active and one for the next tune. Below I have two windows which I use. One is for searching my HD for folders/files and on the right you have a playlist window. What I do is drag and drop various songs I think I will use onto that and refer to it during the night.

Lets say for example I'm doing an 18th birthday party the first thing I would do is go into my 10's pop/urban/dance folders and pick out the popular tracks that I will play. As the night goes on I can drag and drop from the playlist onto one of the decks and like wise I can browse the hd later on if for example it becomes clear to me they love cheese in which case I'll head off to the folders that contain such tunes.

Thanks for the info Neil. All that sounds good. I currently have all my music on my laptop. I have it in various folders eg 60s 70s 80s. These never really change much. I also have a comercial group folder. In this would be music I would play most nights eg Summer of 69, First last everything. This is the one I would change/add to before I went to a gig to save me having to search/remember what what works well (I know every night is different, but there are a lot of tracks which get played most nights) Also not sure whether I want to work of an ext hard drive. Thanks again.