PDA

View Full Version : DDS80 problem

connor
24-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi all, been a while since my last post and I need some help!!! Just bought a DDS80 which I'm really pleased with however, If I load a track to deck A or B and play it, then search for another track and press the button to load it to the other deck, the playing track is momentarily interupted!!!!! HELP PLEASE??? Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.

Excalibur
24-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi all, been a while since my last post and I need some help!!! Just bought a DDS80 which I'm really pleased with however, If I load a track to deck A or B and play it, then search for another track and press the button to load it to the other deck, the playing track is momentarily interupted!!!!! HELP PLEASE??? Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.

I was going to offer some suggestions, then I saw you were using a DDS 80. I believe that's the one with an internal drive, so that rules out most of my theories. Unless you're using an external drive, in which case is it powered? I always prefer powered ones. I also use powered hubs.

The other question is have you run the librarian software? I've forgotten what I did wrong at first, but it was taking forever to load tracks. Once I ran the software correctly the problem disappeared. Don't go for the full option, nor the fast. Normal works best, according to Vectis.

connor
24-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Firmware is up to date, as is librarian and I did a "normal" library. It has had a new drive fitted though, 160 gig, could that be the problem? It's a brand new 2.5" laptop drive.

spin mobile disco
24-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Easily solved my friend. This is caused (most likely anyway) by 1 of 2 problems both of which are easily fixed so panic not.

1. The firmware is on the older version, go to www.numark.com and serch for the latest firmware it can be done in about 2 minutes.

2. The dds80 comes as a fat32 format on arrival. Assuming it still is on this format you have broken one of the 'rules' for fat32 smooth operation.

These are in a nutshell. No more than 3 folder depth and no more than 999 files in each folder. Fix this and watch the stttering disapear. Or go the whole hog and format the drive as ntfs your nerves will thank you in the long run.

Or as already stated above run librarian software. it is not helpful it is a step that should not be passed up. Do not do it from the unit a pc is much much better at it than the unit and a lot faster.

Jason
24-11-2010, 08:33 PM
The drive size is not the issue.
Is the drive powered solely by the USB?

Loading a new track will cause the drive to spin up, heads the move etc, the USB interface only allows 500mA and I know the DDS is not designed to provide this level of current.
If possibly, try a powered USB hub, or an external supply for your drive.

I use a 500GB drive on my DDS80, never had this problem with a track cutting out (otherwise I would demote it!)

Excalibur
24-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Firmware is up to date, as is librarian and I did a "normal" library. It has had a new drive fitted though, 160 gig, could that be the problem? It's a brand new 2.5" laptop drive.

That would be the "phone a friend" question. :o :o :o Vectis, come on mate, we need you. :D :D :D :D

Connor, I reckon that might be the problem, but it's way out of my area of expertise.

spin mobile disco
24-11-2010, 08:34 PM
N.B
just saw your post how did you install a 2.5inch hard drive into the caddy that is designed only for 3 1/2 inch drives. The interface is still on the old 40 connection ata 100 adapter and is not designed to work with anything else. The only thing I can think of is that a sata adapter has been used alongside a drive drive rail to fit it into the caddy. If that is so the hardware is converting from sata to ata100 then to usb and all this from a 5400rpm drive. That ould be a major issue with performance right there.

connor
24-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for everybodies input, IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Refitted original drive, formatted to NTFS coppied contents of 2.5" drive across, switched it on and perfect!!! Thanks for all the help guys...it's much appreciated.

Vectis
24-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Thanks for everybodies input, IT'S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Refitted original drive, formatted to NTFS coppied contents of 2.5" drive across, switched it on and perfect!!! Thanks for all the help guys...it's much appreciated.

Sorry... better late than never (my appearance that is :p )

It's quite likely a combination of low spin rate and crappy cache on the 2.5" drive with the lack of a pre-built librarian index.

Basically you're pulling in a music mp3 across a relatively slow connection which is being indexed on-the-fly by the DDS box and hence the judder on the playing deck because there's not enough bandwidth for it to run as well.

To resolve:

1. Run Librarian
2. Faster hard drive (7200rpm)
3. Bigger cache on the HDD

Sounds like you've achieved 2+3 by swapping the drive back.