PDA

View Full Version : The 'FOR SALE' section

Steve Cheese
26-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Just wanted to convey my disappointment at not being able to post an item for sale simply because I don't have more than 100 posts. (I assume that is the reason, my post was simply deleted telling me to read the rules. Maybe admin could be a bit more specific.)

I'm an established DJ for over 20 years and have been a member on this forum for well over a year now. Several years as a well respected member on other forums.

I only post if I think I can add some value to a thread. I won't clog up other peoples threads with silly comments, smileys and wisecracks.

I only start a thread if I want to ask a question that I can't find the answer to by searching,if I have a gig inquiry to offer, or if I have something to sell and I think some of your guys would appreciate the chance to buy.
So my overall post count is generally low.

But rules is rules and I know that I have no say in your rules, I just have to abide by them. I am not posting this to upset anyone.

But I spent about half an hour composing that 'For Sale' post and I was not happy to see it deleted.

Maybe set up the forum so that users do not get a 'post new thread' button on the forums that they can't post in. It would save a lot of peoples time.

:bang:

Steve

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Maybe set up the forum so that users do not get a 'post new thread' button on the forums that they can't post in. It would save a lot of peoples time.

SteveThat is how it's set up now, but it isn't retrospective to those who signed up before the changes.

Unfortunately, short of making judgement calls EVERY time someone posts (which so many people would claim is unfair) we have got a blanket rule in place.

There is a 'Sticky' thread at the top of the 'For Sale' section headed 'PLEASE READ before posting' or similar.... I'm not sure what more we can do?

Unfortunately, we did have problems with people using us as Exchange and Mart, which is why we imposed this rule in the first place.

Excalibur
26-11-2010, 02:47 PM
HINT. Quid a month. Don't let on I told you, or they'll all be in. ;) ;) ;)

http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5104&highlight=supporter

Booche
26-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Just a idea couldn't there be some implication were when members have been a member for at least a year and made 50 posts just to avoid anything like this ?

Sorry if this has already been tried and tested and failed etc

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I really don't think the software is sophisticated enough to do "If A then B, if C then D, else E"

Booche
26-11-2010, 03:13 PM
I really don't think the software is sophisticated enough to do "If A then B, if C then D, else E"

Ahhh ok no worries, im :daft: in that so ill bow out out now lol

Shaun
26-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Just a idea couldn't there be some implication were when members have been a member for at least a year and made 50 posts just to avoid anything like this ?

Sorry if this has already been tried and tested and failed etc

Unfortunately not. After careful deliberation the for sale guidelines were setup as they are, and for the most part they work well.

Steve, as Angela has stated there is a pinned topic in the For Sale section titled 'Please read before posting' which outlines the requirements before posting. The main text underneath the For Sale section also states the requirements for posting. Ultimately it's the members responsibility for ensuring they are posting within the guidelines that's stated in several places on the forum. Other than that there's not a lot we can do. I'm sorry that this situation has upset you. At times our actions may upset people but that's the price we sometimes have to pay. It's not intentional and it's not personal.

MBK
26-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm an established DJ for over 20 years and have been a member on this forum for well over a year now. Several years as a well respected member on other forums.

I only post if I think I can add some value to a thread. I won't clog up other peoples threads with silly comments, smileys and wisecracks.

I only start a thread if I want to ask a question that I can't find the answer to by searching,if I have a gig inquiry to offer, or if I have something to sell and I think some of your guys would appreciate the chance to buy.
So my overall post count is generally low.

But rules is rules and I know that I have no say in your rules, I just have to abide by them. I am not posting this to upset anyone.

Steve

I have to agree with Steve relating to the wise cracks and some silly comments that are made. Some threads are very good reading then you get a further page or so of smilies etc and drifting off topic.
I do enjoy a bit of banter but this forum seems to be a bit overrun with some silly comments between members that have no bearing on the original thread.
This is one of the better forums that I frequent for good sound information but you have to pick your way through some of the un-necessary comments.

Just my two pennies worth for what it’s worth.
I’ll get my coat

Shaun
26-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I have to agree with Steve relating to the wise cracks and some silly comments that are made. Some threads are very good reading then you get a further page or so of smilies etc and drifting off topic.
I do enjoy a bit of banter but this forum seems to be a bit overrun with some silly comments between members that have no bearing on the original thread.
This is one of the better forums that I frequent for good sound information but you have to pick your way through some of the un-necessary comments.

I’ll get my coat

I can't argue with that. It's finding that fine line though. I know for a fact that if we were more hard-lined with off topic posts it would annoy and drive more people away than it would please. Were damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:27 PM

I’ll get my coat
Another case of 'Damned if we do, damned if we don't'.... if we put our collective foot down about off-topic / banter / chatter, we usually get abuse and 'hitler' comments!

We do try and run the middle ground: we're not perfect, and everyone has different ideas od what is just the right amount!

andyw
26-11-2010, 03:27 PM

if the software don't allow it, what about doing it manually, in these sort of circumstances, i understand the rules are there to protect us all ,but could we not have something in place where people with a reasonably low post count could sell after 12 months, that would be better then someone posting in every thread just to get their post count up, i know it would mean a little more work for you mods but that is why you are paid so well,:) (i mean thought of so much)

please note this post is purely for discusional purposes and in no means meant to be a critism of the forum rules or the moderation of the forum

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:28 PM
:lol:

Posting same time as Shaun!

soundtracker
26-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Another case of 'Damned if we do, damned if we don't'.... if we put our collective foot down about off-topic / banter / chatter, we usually get abuse and 'hitler' comments!

We do try and run the middle ground: we're not perfect, and everyone has different ideas od what is just the right amount!

As has already been demonstrated in this very thread!:)

Shaun
26-11-2010, 03:31 PM
if the software don't allow it, what about doing it manually, in these sort of circumstances, i understand the rules are there to protect us all ,but could we not have something in place where people with a reasonably low post count could sell after 12 months, that would be better then someone posting in every thread just to get their post count up, i know it would mean a little more work for you mods but that is why you are paid so well,:) (i mean thought of so much)

please note this post is purely for discusional purposes and in no means meant to be a critism of the forum rules or the moderation of the forum

To be honest I'm happy with the way it's setup just now. The site staff have enough to do without complicating things. The system will be staying as it is. Sorry. :beer1: :)

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:31 PM

I don't think you appreciate just how much time we already spend on moderating the forum. For a start, we get an average of several spammers trying to get on the forum each day!

If we end up doing things like this manually, I don't think anyone will know where they stand. It will make it all very complex, and I am sure that it will lead to mistakes being made (simple human error) which would then lead to complaints when someone else was refused ("X was allowed to post Y") etc etc.

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:33 PM
PS: Shaun and I aren't collaborating on our answers - honest! We just keep posting the same thing at the same time

(He just seems to be quicker! :p )

MBK
26-11-2010, 03:34 PM
An other case of 'Damned if we do, damned if we don't'.... if we put our collective foot down about off-topic / banter / chatter, we usually get abuse and 'hitler' comments!

I fully understand and agree how you feel and that its no easy task to police / control.
I tend to only post if I feel that my comments help out other users.

As I said this is one of the better forums.

Excalibur
26-11-2010, 03:34 PM
PS: Shaun and I aren't collaborating on our answers - honest! We just keep posting the same thing at the same time

Ah yes, but he's probably just concentrating on one thing. We all know that men can't multitask. :( :o :o

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:36 PM
As I said this is one of the better forums.

:thanks:

(Oh... hold on a minute.... what do you mean "one of" :p :D )

Ah yes, but he's probably just concentrating on one thing. We all know that men can't multitask. :( :o :oActually, I heard only last week that this theory now has scientific back-up!

Shaun
26-11-2010, 03:41 PM

It's good to see were 'on the same page', so to speak. :)

andyw
26-11-2010, 03:43 PM
i do appreciate how long you guys take moderating, and I know it's a thankless task, what I was thinking of is, if someone like steve(and I use him purely as an example) was to pm yourself and ask permission to sell something after 12 months, then maybe you mods could discuss individual cases behind the scenes, and then either give permission as a one off or not which ever you lot felt was appropiate

Shaun
26-11-2010, 03:47 PM
i do appreciate how long you guys take moderating, and I know it's a thankless task, what I was thinking of is, if someone like steve(and I use him purely as an example) was to pm yourself and ask permission to sell something after 12 months, then maybe you mods could discuss individual cases behind the scenes, and then either give permission as a one off or not which ever you lot felt was appropiate

I think the problem there is if we do it on a case by case basis and allow someone to post, and for whatever reason don't allow another to post we could generate further tension. It's much safer just to have a one size fits all policy where the guidelines are the guidelines, and everyone is treated the same. It's the only fair way to do it in my opinion.

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 03:52 PM
:agree:

Adding a variable element (ie human judgement) will cause bad feeling if someone is refused permission

andyw
26-11-2010, 04:00 PM
:agree:

Adding a variable element (ie human judgement) will cause bad feeling if someone is refused permission

unfortunately it makes sense what you are saying, and I can see where the problems might come from, still think it is a shame though, but as they are the rules are fair and the same for everyone. I will have to think of another way to make more work for you:eek:

Shaun
26-11-2010, 04:04 PM
. I will have to think of another way to make more work for you:eek:

:lol:

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I will have to think of another way to make more work for you:eek:...and may I just take this opportunity to thank you for that from the heart of my bottom! :p

Steve Cheese
26-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Well as I said, I just have to abide by your rules. So I will.

OK, I better not waste any more time on this thread.

After all, I've now got to trawl through all the other threads and add comments here and there to get my post count over 100. I've got 43 now, so, err, one hour should do it!

:ner:

Danno13
26-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't think that will help Steve, infact theres a glitch that sometimes makes your post count actually go down when you do this... :D:D:D

Corabar Entertainment
26-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think that will help Steve, infact theres a glitch that sometimes makes your post count actually go down when you do this... :D:D:D:lol:

:ner:...and rightbackatya! :p :ner:

Shaun
26-11-2010, 06:53 PM
unfortunately it makes sense what you are saying, and I can see where the problems might come from, still think it is a shame though, but as they are the rules are fair and the same for everyone.

It is a shame in some cases, especially in this instance where Steve spent quite some time composing the thread in the For Sale section. Normally threads that aren't posted within the guidelines are just deleted, and no message is directed toward the member, this is mainly due to time constraints. In Steve's case I removed the content and posted a short reply pointing him in the direction of the pinned topic that would fully explain the requirements for using that section. I am sorry that my actions have upset him as I never intentionally set out to do that. Unfortunately it's a by-hazard of moderating at times.

There was a time when there were no restrictions in the For Sale section. The Selling Guidelines came about at the request of the forum membership; as always we try to listen to what everyone wants and try reach a compromise that's fair to all. We don't get it right all the time but everything we do is done with the intention of keeping the site running smoothly for everyone that visits, contributes and makes this forum what it is.

I'd just like to finish off by referring back to Peter's (Excalibur) post which is third from the top. MDD supporters are exempt from the selling restrictions, and we've had a one or two members in the past that have signed up as a supporter so they can sell right away. Maybe it's not for everyone but for a quid a month you can't go wrong. :)

Anyway, thanks for listening. This has been a Party Political broadcast on behalf of the MDD Party. :daft:

Shaun
26-11-2010, 06:55 PM

After all, I've now got to trawl through all the other threads and add comments here and there to get my post count over 100. I've got 43 now, so, err, one hour should do it!

Or you could refer to post #3 (and the last part of my post before this) and bypass the selling restrictions.

Once again, apologies if my editing of your For Sale post upset you. Have a virtual beer on me = :beer1:

:)

CRAZY K
26-11-2010, 09:38 PM
...and may I just take this opportunity to thank you for that from the heart of my bottom! :p

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Excalibur
26-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Not necessarily. You could spend two minutes and a quid, to achieve the same result.

I'd just like to finish off by referring back to Peter's (Excalibur) post which is third from the top. MDD supporters are exempt from the selling restrictions, and we've had a one or two members in the past that have signed up as a supporter so they can sell right away. Maybe it's not for everyone but for a quid a month you can't go wrong. :)
:

Or you could refer to post #3 (and the last part of my post before this) and bypass the selling restrictions.

Shaun, many thanks for that. I thought I'd pressed the invisibility button again, by mistake!!! :eek: :eek:

DeckstarDeluxe
26-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Regarding the "not posting smileys" etc.. comments. From where you might be sat it looks like that however most regular posters on here have known each other for years and there is a good amount of banter on here, I like that. Despite that there are plenty of threads where people are asking for advice so it doesn't take long to rack up to 100 posts.

DazzyD
28-11-2010, 07:55 AM
I think this is one of those times where (most) people will see both sides of the argument. But, if everyone abides by the rules, then everyone is treated the same. Like Angela said, when you bring in human input in to deciding who can post what and when then you bring in emotion. What might be deemed as acceptable one day might not be acceptable the next depending on the mood of the person making that decision. And this scenario is very evident in my day job (it shouldn't be but it is - I'll go no further! ;) )

As with every set of rules, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Anyway, thanks for listening. This has been a Party Political broadcast on behalf of the MDD Party. :daft:

Forum Rules #20, Shaun, "No politics". You really should know better!!! :p

Excalibur
28-11-2010, 08:57 AM
IForum Rules #20, Shaun, "No politics". You really should know better!!! :p

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? " eh?

Oops, there goes the dreaded rule 23 again. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

CRAZY K
28-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Regarding the "not posting smileys" etc.. comments. From where you might be sat it looks like that however most regular posters on here have known each other for years and there is a good amount of banter on here, I like that. Despite that there are plenty of threads where people are asking for advice so it doesn't take long to rack up to 100 posts.

Its called having a sense of humour.

:sofa: