PDA

View Full Version : Peavey UL15 4 speakers

gaza
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Has anyone on here owned a pair of these, if so can i have your thoughts on them please.
They are 500w rms @4ohm each speaker.
These would be the older model with the grey front grills.

Excalibur
01-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh :Censored: ! INCOMING!!

Rearrange the following phrase or saying:
Worms of opening can a.

They're one of the best offerings from Peavey, and older is usually better, if they're in good nick.

DJ James Lake
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Despite what others may say, there not bad at all, just lack bass compared with a lot of other cabinets.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Theyre 4 ohms so be careful.
Good point....at 4 ohms your amp gives its Actual rated power...
Bad point....at 4 ohms you cant run anymore speakers off the same amplifier

( this comment applies to most NON 2 OHM rated amplifiers )

DAVE

gaza
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Oh :Censored: ! INCOMING!!

Rearrange the following phrase or saying:
Worms of opening can a.

They're one of the best offerings from Peavey, and older is usually better, if they're in good nick.

Hi Excalibur, thanks

Despite what others may say, there not bad at all, just lack bass compared with a lot of other cabinets.

That does supprise me.
One of the main reasons that i was going to get a pair of these was to cut out the need to take bass bins to meduim sized venues, why would they lack the bass of other 15" speakers?

Theyre 4 ohms so be careful.
Good point....at 4 ohms your amp gives its Actual rated power...
Bad point....at 4 ohms you cant run anymore speakers off the same amplifier

( this comment applies to most NON 2 OHM rated amplifiers )

DAVE

Yes i know that, thanks:)

DeckstarDeluxe
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
wait til Alan gets here........

I had them and they never let me down and were loud. I will also say that the quality difference between my new mackies and db sub is far better than that of my old ul 15's.

If I was to go back, I would look into the pro 12's with the matching bins as I think they are better sounding than the ul cabs myself. It of course might be different for you.

DJ James Lake
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I have no idea why they lack bass, they just do.

I think it may have a lot to do with the power handling and the way the voice coil is loaded. At sensible levels the bass driver doesn't seem to move much and if it doesn't move much you wont get bass.

When you drive them hard they do start to produce bass, but by that time they are so loud on the top end you'll be asked to turn them down.

I got rid of mine and now use mackie's which have a 12" driver and produce a heck of lot more bass.

You really need to listen to any speaker first before buying, I dont think you'll be that impressed with the peaveys.

I am not saying they are bad because they arent, they are miles apart from any other peavey made speaker, my point is there are lots more out there and most are a lot cheaper that will give a better all round sound.

Twinspin
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Im sure you can run 4 ohm tops and 4 ohm subs off the same amplifier with the Peavey speakers and not other speakers.

Thats what i understand and have been told in the past. Something to do with the crossover that cancels the

4ohms + 4 ohms = 2 ohms out. Im sure someone will shed further light on this.

I think the UL-15s sound alright. My friend Martin has them certainly reliable.

Excalibur
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
One of the main reasons that i was going to get a pair of these was to cut out the need to take bass bins to meduim sized venues, why would they lack the bass of other 15" speakers?

The clue's on the front of the grille. ;) :D :D

wait til Alan gets here.........
I'm anticipating his arrival with barely contained excitement. :D :D

If I was to go back, I would look into the pro 12's with the matching bins as I think they are better sounding than the ul cabs myself. It of course might be different for you.
I wouldn't. Personal choice.

You really need to listen to any speaker first before buying, I dont think you'll be that impressed with the peaveys.
Amen.

I am not saying they are bad because they arent, they are miles apart from any other peavey made speaker, my point is there are lots more out there and most are a lot cheaper that will give a better all round sound.
And we know one brand in particular,don't we chi ldren? :whistle: ( But it appears they're out of stock again. :( )

Im sure you can run 4 ohm tops and 4 ohm subs off the same amplifier with the Peavey speakers and not other speakers.

Thats what i understand and have been told in the past. Something to do with the crossover that cancels the

4ohms + 4 ohms = 2 ohms out. Im sure someone will shed further light on this.

You can indeed John, but Dave was referring to two pairs of full range in parallel, thus giving a two ohm load.

gaza
01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
The clue's on the front of the grille. ;) :D :D

I'm anticipating his arrival with barely contained excitement. :D :D

I wouldn't. Personal choice.

Amen.
And we know one brand in particular,don't we chi ldren? :whistle: ( But it appears they're out of stock again. :( )

You can indeed John, but Dave was referring to two pairs of full range in parallel, thus giving a two ohm load.

Uh:confused:

Excalibur
01-12-2010, 04:22 PM
You really need to listen to any speaker first before buying.

Amen.

Uh:confused:

I agree. Rock on. Too true.Hear Hear.Bravo. You said it. Ain't that the truth. Et cetera........................
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amen

Creature
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
I own a pair rated at 1000 watts rms at 4ohms and find i have to turn down the bass on my mixer as they have Too much bass :) - vary rarely do i take out or miss mu UL 119's

The UL range the best Peavey has to offer, great value for money and good sound, only draw back i have found is when playing quietly can sound a bit flat but they getter better as you crank up the volume - if you dont want em send us details and ill buy em !

gaza
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I own a pair rated at 1000 watts rms at 4ohms and find i have to turn down the bass on my mixer as they have Too much bass :) - vary rarely do i take out or miss mu UL 119's
The UL range the best Peavey has to offer, great value for money and good sound, only draw back i have found is when playing quietly can sound a bit flat but they getter better as you crank up the volume - if you dont want em send us details and ill buy em !

Thats good to hear.

So, when you are doing an average funtion in a small to meduim venue with say 100 - 120 people, they are fine on their own?
your ones are 500w rms per speaker arnt they.

Creature
01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
i often use just them for bookings upto 250 and often with bands :)

no mine rated at 1000 watt - i want a set at 500 watt to replace my old XT500's

gaza
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
i often use just them for bookings upto 250 and often with bands :)

no mine rated at 1000 watt - i want a set at 500 watt to replace my old XT500's

I didnt know that they did speakers that were 1000w rms each cab?

DeckstarDeluxe
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Ul15's are 500w rms......... Which doesnt really matter as we all know isnt really worth worrying about...

I used mine for gigs up to 200 people. They are loud so will do ok its more the quality of sound thats the issue rather than the loudness.

Excalibur
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I didnt know that they did speakers that were 1000w rms each cab?

Without looking up the manual:
500w RMS
1000W Program ( ie a 1000w RMS amp feeding them, cos music's not continuous )
2000w Peak ( Momentarily, otherwise you get sound to light, then silence )

Fullforceeventsltd
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Have to agree here.
I have a pair of ul12 and the twin 15" subs and have owned some 15's too. I don't use them at all now and are sitting in my lock up as back up really. But I must say they have been a great and reliable cabinet for me and very versatile. But like the other post when down quiet the sounded a bit flat. I had my system running through a peavey controller. But was impressed just using the tops for gigs up to 120 ish.

Twinspin
01-12-2010, 11:36 PM
The best peavey tops ive heard are these the Impulses. I had a pair of the 1012s
a few years ago the plastic abs peavey cabs.

12" 700w rms BWX driver inside them. When i bought them new they was £700.00. Now these tops cost £1200 a pair.

http://img.idealo.com/folder/Product/966/7/966796/s3_produktbild_gross.gif

Even better than the hisys / ul series.

Danno13
02-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm guessing the OP doesn't have £1200 to spend, if they did there's a heck of alot better they could get for their money than Peavey, or anything in a plastic box come to think of it!

Twinspin
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I wasnt actually saying spend £1200 because that would be silly considering there is a few speakers that sound better for a bit less or about the same price.

for that money i could buy another pair of active RCF Tops which would be more sensible imho or another decent make but thats me going off topic then.

big beat discos
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
i have 2 pairs of pv ul15s and there best ive owned and 4 lack of bass your avin a giraffe there also the best sounding and blow mackies away !!!!!:daft:

big beat discos
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I wasnt actually saying spend £1200 because that would be silly considering there is a few speakers that sound better for a bit less or about the same price.

for that money i could buy another pair of active RCF Tops which would be more sensible imho or another decent make but thats me going off topic then.

agree rcfs are great aswell so are mackies but you dont get the bottom end that peaveys give me ....:cool:

Corabar Entertainment
06-02-2011, 10:06 PM
i have 2 pairs of pv ul15s and there best ive owned and 4 lack of bass your avin a giraffe there also the best sounding and blow mackies away !!!!!:daft:
Could we have that in something approaching English? :daft: :daft: :daft:

Excalibur
06-02-2011, 10:17 PM

:fp: :( :(

CRAZY K
07-02-2011, 11:51 PM

I believe my fellow Peavey owner is saying he is a llittle surprised at the comment made by James.

I agree the UL15s are not very bassy at low volume but once you go into Disco turn it up guvnor mode they start motoring.

James makes a fair point about the high sound levels--- ;)

The Peavey UL15s have that very powerful middle sound which was so beautifully described by Tony of A1 Discos--like a wet cardboard box being beaten--

Im addicted personally:beer1:

big beat discos
10-02-2011, 10:40 PM
exactly superb speakers :)

mattydinx
11-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Great cabs! - Mine have been going strong for 6 years and have had 100's of bands and DJ gigs thrown at them (not literally thrown may I add!) :D

They even endured a (LOUD) 4-hour gabba rave set for one of my friends' birthdays (not my music choice may I add!) - one of the cabs didn't fair too well and I thought the coil was burnt out - but I simply rotated the speaker cone/basket assembly on the magnet and it was good as new!

Even if the coil had fried or the cone damaged - it takes less than 10 minutes to replace at the gig!, something I haven't seen on many other speakers in their price range.

Bass wise - I agree with everything that's already been said
Sound Quality - Definite peaks in the mid-range when run flat, but it's great for live bands/singers. For DJing they include a contour switch on the back to smooth things out. Not the clearest speakers, but that's my personal opinion, I've often been commended on the sound quality at gigs :)

The only downside is their size/weight - an easy lift if your gig's on one level, but stairs and narrow doorways are your enemy! lol

If I could go back, I'd have bought the 12's and a sub (I heard 2x UL215's at a live music venue in Sunderland and it felt like I was being punched in the chest - stupidly powerful!)

They're a wise investment if you want something that'll last, are suitable for many events (not just DJing), and give you a work-out every time you load in/out :p