PDA

View Full Version : Lead cases

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
What do you put your leads in - cases, bags or something else, and do you separate them into mains, lighting and sound or just bung them all in one bag or case?

I need to get a couple of new cases or bags for spare bits and pieces and am undecided what to get.

Danno13
08-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I have three cheapy flightcases.. the ones you get in maplin for £10-20.

One holds my lighting loom, a bunch of spare DMX leads, clamps and nuts and bolts.
2nd one holds all mains extensions on one side, and all IEC->13a cables on the other.
3rd one is all the audio cables, headphones, mics.

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I use three standard stackable boxes (a stronger version of the sort of thing kids toys might be tidied away into) and seperate them as follows:

1 for XLR Leads
1 for IEC and Mains cables (4 ways etc)
Then the final one, for sound cables, and then normally on the top the larger power extension leads (10,20,25m)

Jiggles
08-08-2006, 08:00 PM
I have a sute case and just place it in neatly and the suit case is very strong

CRAZY K
08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Just bought 3 smallish flightcases for this very reason from the holiday camp for £20 on special offer.

Seem pretty ok and look professional.

CRAZY K

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I have three cheapy flightcases.. the ones you get in maplin for £10-20.

One holds my lighting loom, a bunch of spare DMX leads, clamps and nuts and bolts.
2nd one holds all mains extensions on one side, and all IEC->13a cables on the other.
3rd one is all the audio cables, headphones, mics.

Any chance of a link? Sounds kinda cool :)

Corabar Steve
08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Speaker leads in amp flightcase, mixer to amp connection leads in CD player / mixer flightase, lighting in light controller case & spares in one of these (along with spare lamps etc)

A1DL
08-08-2006, 09:47 PM
http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/roadtrunks/typeproducts2.asp?id=222&groupid=58&title=Road%20Trunks

inhouse inventory:

for small events all cabling in one of these beasties from Flightcase Warehouse, with two dividers (3 partitions) for light mains (1.5 & 2.5mm H07) , LX and Sound

for medium/large events this trunk + it's brother for heavy duty mains (4.0mm SPNE up to 16mm TPNE, the latter being bloody heavy:eek: )

Thames Valley Discos
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
3 Flight cases, one for mains, one for lights, one for spare cables. Smaller case for all pc related bits and bobs.

BeerFunk
08-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I use Tescos carrying bags - good economy cos theyre free (if it rips - simple, just replace it!)

Na, seriously I do more or less what Steve does :)

Speaker leads in amp flightcase, mixer to amp connection leads in CD player / mixer flightase, lighting in light controller case & spares in one of these (along with spare lamps etc)

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 10:19 PM
anyone have flightcases for their sandwiches? Thats an idea...

A1DL
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
anyone have flightcases for their sandwiches? Thats an idea...

sounds a bit geeky to me :embarasse

and the peanut butter leaves an unpleasant stale odour on the foam.....

allegedly :embarasse

gillo
08-08-2006, 10:30 PM
use three storage boxes with lids

1st for all audio cables

2nd power cables

3rd all lighting cables

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 10:43 PM
maybe a sandwich making flight case then??

we have a "tea making kit" in a stanley tool box, complete with 4 mugs, tea bags, sugar, milk and portable kettle :D

theoloyla
09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
I use two lightboxes as stands for my amp/mixer and CD players. The rear of each lightbox has a cupboard with three separate compartments for all my leads and spares etc but then I am old fashioned and still use light screens!

pdarnett
13-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Use one of these (http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=175)

http://www.prolight.co.uk/images/products/images/175_0_m.jpg

sound cables in the front, lighting and power in the back

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Use one of these (http://www.prolight.co.uk/product_more_info.php?hdnProductID=175)

http://www.prolight.co.uk/images/products/images/175_0_m.jpg

sound cables in the front, lighting and power in the back

I've got one of those that I use for other bits and pieces, but wanted something slightly smaller.

The one I did order wasn't in stock for another 3-4 weeks though.

leighinstoke
14-08-2006, 12:02 AM
we have a "tea making kit" in a stanley tool box, complete with 4 mugs, tea bags, sugar, milk and portable kettle :D

My god - thats take me back to my conference PA, etc, days - we had a canteen box there, complete with kettle, cups, tea, coffee, UHT milk and biscuits, etc, so we could get a drink during setups. Was usually the last thing loaded into truck so it could be the first thing taken out.

Another company that we often worked alongside had one complete with various adaptors so they could plug the kettle into any mains power source. I remember seeing it run from a dimmer rack outlet once that was turned to full!

Leigh....

DMX Will
14-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Another company that we often worked alongside had one complete with various adaptors so they could plug the kettle into any mains power source. I remember seeing it run from a dimmer rack outlet once that was turned to full!

Might have to invest in one of those then!

Paul James Promotions
14-08-2006, 12:13 AM
How about a Powerlock to kettle convertor then Will? :D

DMX Will
14-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Why would I want a powerlock converter?!

Other thing is, it doesnt have an IEC/kettle socket, its all wired in.

A1DL
14-08-2006, 12:26 PM

just trying to visualise 400a 120mm2 HO7 to IEC320 :lightning

... Jamie, that goes one better than the 63a TPNE cee to 3-pin XLR spoof which you've probably seen mentioned elsewhere :teeth:

A1DL
14-08-2006, 12:31 PM
thinking about it, a kettle off a dimmer pack isn't completely daft, although personally I'd connect it to the handy little 13a courtesy power on the front of our Pulsar dimmer/switching rack distro.

Jiggles
14-08-2006, 12:38 PM
thinking about it, a kettle off a dimmer pack isn't completely daft, although personally I'd connect it to the handy little 13a courtesy power on the front of our Pulsar dimmer/switching rack distro.

Then wate for a bang

A1DL
14-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Then wate for a bang

Callum, I think it might be a long wait :confused: unless I've missed something.

And it's never gone bang before, although I must admit haven't used it for a cuppa.

Please explain, you've lost me!

In case you're not familiar with the piece of kit we're talking about, here's a link
http://www.pulsarlight.com/Mains%20Distro.htm

Jiggles
14-08-2006, 01:00 PM
woops sorry read it wrong

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-08-2006, 02:50 PM
just trying to visualise 400a 120mm2 HO7 to IEC320 :lightning

... Jamie, that goes one better than the 63a TPNE cee to 3-pin XLR spoof which you've probably seen mentioned elsewhere :teeth:

WHAT????????

My brain is about to explode with that information!!!

ANyway, back to lead cases...

dj steady
14-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I use three standard stackable boxes (a stronger version of the sort of thing kids toys might be tidied away into) and seperate them as follows:

1 for XLR Leads
1 for IEC and Mains cables (4 ways etc)
Then the final one, for sound cables, and then normally on the top the larger power extension leads (10,20,25m)

i use the same, bought them from partners