PDA

View Full Version : Q truss. heard of them?

SPDJ
13-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Has anybody else heard of these guys before?

I purchased a lighting stand from ebay called a Q Truss stand. Its basically an alternative to having truss as it is much lighter and less cumbersum to put together. Also it is foldable and can supply power to each of the lights that are fixed to it by way of internal power sockets across the gantry.

I took it to Alex's portsmouth mobile DJ meet up last week and demonstrated how it could be used.

All in all I think I got a good buy but I've never heard of Q Truss or any other products they have. They don't have a website (that I could find), hardly anyone else I have spoken to have heard of them and the ebay shop I got it from has now closed.

Yes, all this sounds dodgey, but in my opinion I could not ask for much more from a lighting stand. Light, portable, supplies power, holds up to 95kgs, wide (up to 6 meters but can fold semi-hexagonally around a dance floor if space is an issue), the lighting fixtures are attatched to the rest of the unit by an internal rail bar type thing which means you can fix lights literally anywhere across the gantry (not limited to pre drilled holes) by sliding the fixtures to where you want .

You get what you pay for at £280 which is what I spent on it, but I would like to know what else they do, and if they still exist! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Corabar Steve
13-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Got any photos?

yourdj
13-12-2010, 10:37 AM
There is nothing out there as far as I can see??

http://www.knowledgebrain.com/NothingImages/Nothing_512_512.jpg

I think they may have had health and safety issues for the product, (although it seems fine to me) and decided to withdraw from sales.
Either that or they invested too much money into producing it and have had to withdraw from business.

Its a great truss however and looks good too.
for the money it looks better and is more sturdy than the giraffe stuff (stainless steel).

Corabar Entertainment
13-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I think they may have had health and safety issues for the productWhat are you basing that accusation on then, Toby? :confused:

yourdj
13-12-2010, 10:40 AM
What are you basing that accusation on then, Toby? :confused:

Im not, its a guess as is that they have gone out of business.
Seems a bit fishy as allot of work has gone into developing it and to simply disappear is not normal :)

If you saw the truss you would know what I mean, its really good.

TONYTIGER
13-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Q Truss advertise quite regular in Lighting & Sound International just don,t have a copy around at the moment.

SPDJ
13-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Seems a bit fishy as allot of work has gone into developing it and to simply disappear is not normal :)

Plus one to that.

Yeah alot of effort went into it and it is rather strange that there is no information online anywhere about Q truss.

£280 does sound like a bomb for a lighting stand where you can pick up a humble steel T bar for around £30. But honestly, it is well worth it. I mean, it looks really professional. Also you can hang banners off of it with additional banner fixtures I got with it. With 6 meters in length is has enough space for banners, lights, starcloth, whatever.

The only snag so far (which the sellor didn't shed much light on) was that it requires 32mm stands to hold it up. I only have the standerd 35mm. Which means I need to get hold of some reducers or new stands altogether!! And I will need four stands to reep the full rewards of 6 meters worth of gantry.

Still, If there is anything else Q truss have made I would like to know about it.

TONYTIGER
13-12-2010, 11:17 AM

Did you not read my post re advertising ,and it is made in China do a search Folding Lighting Truss just been re badged in UK.

Chris1984
13-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I know milos do make a rage or q truss - its for exibition use and isnt load bearing - litrally like what you say to hang banners off etc.

it uses 32mm tube like you say - its not for putting large weights on as the 3 cord only has a center point load of around 150kg on a 6ft span - which isnt great

yourdj
13-12-2010, 11:30 AM
do a search Folding Lighting Truss just been re badged in UK.

I did and there is nothing. not on images or main google.

qtrus
qtruss
folding lighting truss
foldable dj truss
aluminum folding dj truss

etc.

You know what it looks like see if there is anything.
Pretty sure there is somewhere.
I cant find it.

SPDJ
13-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I know milos do make a rage or q truss - its for exibition use and isnt load bearing - litrally like what you say to hang banners off etc.

it uses 32mm tube like you say - its not for putting large weights on as the 3 cord only has a center point load of around 150kg on a 6ft span - which isnt great

I think its designed to hold more than just banners. I mean, it doubles up as a 6 meter power multi adaptor for plugging in electrical stuff to, and the brackets which actually fix to whatever lights/electrical items you want are made out of aluminium as is the rest of the unit.

Q truss have designed it for heavier things than just banners so I am not sure where you are coming from?

Chris1984
13-12-2010, 11:54 AM
must be different stuff then - hadn't picked up on the folding element so its defiantly not milos.

am interested as to what it is now! - sound usfull apart from the tube size wich is just a little small for me.

SPDJ
13-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Thats the only gripe I have with the thing. Why oh why after all there good work did they only put 32mm sockets when everyone uses 35mm stands??

Bit embarrassing at the meet up I must admit, had to demonstrate it by sitting it on pub tables.

Fortunatly no one could care less with the copious amounts of alcohol and the prospect of pompey nightlife looming over the horizon . . .

Once I get some stands for it, you guys will be the first to see pics ;)

TONYTIGER
13-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Go to www.alibaba.com then search folding lighting truss lots of Chinese companies making this type of truss.In the USA the most popular folding truss is Tomcat which also has a power rail system there were loads of systems like this at Plasa 2010 hope this helps.

SPDJ
13-12-2010, 12:41 PM
thanks Tony, will give this a look now.:) :beer1: :)