PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

Jonathan Ford
13-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Internet Explorer must have crashed on me a dozen or so times today, and it's starting to wear a little thin. I've never used another browser, as I'm not overly technically minded; my computer is a tool - no gaming, movie making etc. However, when it stops doing the simple things well, it's time to put it out to pasture.

Any thoughts on Google Chrome? Or glowing recommendations for another (free) browser? Must be Windows compatible.

Charlie Brown
13-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Google chrome is fantastic and even has a spell checker.

I wouldn't use anything else but. :beer1:

Jiggles
13-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Chrome all the way. Wipes the floor of anything else. Simple, clean and efficient. Nothing really compares.

Vectis
13-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Safari all the way. It's fantastic and even has a spell checker. Wipes the floor with anything else; simple clean and efficient. Nothing else comes close.

Chris1984
13-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Safari all the way. It's fantastic and even has a spell checker. Wipes the floor with anything else; simple clean and efficient. Nothing else comes close.

I agree, although i seem have slipped into chrome for the past month or so!

Megamix
13-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I use Chrome, Firefox and Safari - but all have crashed...

Jason
13-12-2010, 07:00 PM
All browsers have their strengths and weaknesses. Never really been a fan of IE, but have used most (even the text only Lynx)

These days, a mix of Chrome and FireFox (Minefield) works for me.
As far as I know, most browsers have the ability for some kind of Spell Checker, even IE has IESpell

As a developer, the Javascript plugins for Firefox are great, and the Developer tools for Chrome are also pretty neat.

Chrome is fast, tidy and has some neat features (application shortcuts etc), but has rubbish printing control.
Firefox used to crash and have memory problems, but otherwise was great.

I'm 100% on Linux here now, so prefer to use a virtual machine to get IE running (and run IE6+)

Opera is supposed to be very good. Safari - I guess most Apple users will love it, as as a Webkit based browser, its going to be pretty good.

Of course... if you're building a website... you should check on most common browsers (I normally use BrowserShots as a final check).

Jason

CRAZY K
13-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Internet Explorer must have crashed on me a dozen or so times today, and it's starting to wear a little thin. I've never used another browser, as I'm not overly technically minded; my computer is a tool - no gaming, movie making etc. However, when it stops doing the simple things well, it's time to put it out to pasture.

Any thoughts on Google Chrome? Or glowing recommendations for another (free) browser? Must be Windows compatible.

I downloaded the Chrome Toolbar a while ago--by accident or being half asleep.

I eventually removed the whole thing because it started to cause me problems, cant quite rememeber what but annoying enough to delete it--fixed my annoying problem.

Firefox seems ok but am I the only person in the world that finds if when using Firefox you copy and paste on an email it nicely pastes in your copied text and THEN:mad:

IMMEDIATELY DELETES ALL OTHER TEXT IN THE EMAIL:eek: :eek: :eek:

You can get round it by a longer method

No thanks:daft:

IE works fine here, I would say you have a problem on your Laptop/ PC if IE keeps crashing.

Alex
13-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Chrome all the way here.........

Along with Firefox :D

Internet explorer is far to unstable for me... it likes to crash if you open more than one tab.... and loves to show " Page Can Not Be Found " all the time!

BeerFunk
13-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I have Firefox, IE and Chrome installed. I use Chrome, but it's six and half a dozen really.

digga
13-12-2010, 09:59 PM
+1 for Chrome as well. I am a self employed computer technician by day, and install it on every PC i work on, because it is far more secure than IE and Firefox (without any add-ons) as it runs in a sandbox mode, and doesn't install annoying tool bars which slows other browsers down.

It's compatibility was a problem in the early days, but this has been resolved.

Safari is also excellent, as it shares the same core programming as Chrome.

thex-faders
13-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Chrome, purely as im all synces with Google Apps for work & disco purposes.
Clean, simple to use and reliable in my case. Much better than IE.

Also have firefox installed to check some website compatibility and things.

CRAZY K
13-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Chrome all the way here.........

Along with Firefox :D

Internet explorer is far to unstable for me... it likes to crash if you open more than one tab.... and loves to show " Page Can Not Be Found " all the time!

This is weird, I use IE all day long opening many tabs at the same time up to 5 or 6 for various tasks--NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM:confused:

Its got to be either Internet speed or Computer problems--or is it a regional variation that causes difficulty.

I run on Windows 7 on a cheap Toshiba Laptop;)

confused again of Northants

Jonathan Ford
14-12-2010, 11:44 AM
This is weird, I use IE all day long opening many tabs at the same time up to 5 or 6 for various tasks--NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM:confused:

Its got to be either Internet speed or Computer problems--or is it a regional variation that causes difficulty.

I run on Windows 7 on a cheap Toshiba Laptop;)

confused again of Northants

The only time mine crashes, and it doesn't do it every time, is opening a new tab or clicking on a link.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Does Safari play flash?

Vectis
14-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Does Safari play flash?

Perfectly.

Unless it's running on iOS.

djdave01
14-12-2010, 12:43 PM

Me too, ive had a look at chrome & safari, but ive never had any trouble with IE so im happy to stick with it.

Still using IE 7 on an XP machine, does the job fine

CRAZY K
14-12-2010, 01:16 PM
The only time mine crashes, and it doesn't do it every time, is opening a new tab or clicking on a link.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Does Safari play flash?

Try backdating your Computer, thats solved quite a few problems I have had in the last 12months.;)

Come to think of it--I believe I did have your problem after someone put a new anti virus on my laptop----backdating fixed it!

gaza
14-12-2010, 02:07 PM
i have just downloaded google chrome and it does seem faster.

Creature
14-12-2010, 03:55 PM
was using it in Ubuntu but since last update it keeps crashing so gone back to firefox

CRAZY K
14-12-2010, 04:03 PM
was using it in Ubuntu but since last update it keeps crashing so gone back to firefox

Thats the reason I recently backdated one of my laptops--updates from Microsoft :Censored: it up completely.

Its also the reason I never bother with updates on my Cortex.

If it aint broke;)

Tom Lovick
14-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Google Chrome. No beating it!

IE is the worst browser in the world. Closely followed by Firefox and Opera.

(and yes, i have tested them :p)

CRAZY K
14-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Google Chrome. No beating it!

IE is the worst browser in the world. Closely followed by Firefox and Opera.

(and yes, i have tested them :p)

Complete rubbish--you dont have a clue what your talking about;)

:daft: :daft: :daft:

Jonathan Ford
14-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Well, I've downloaded Chrome and Safari. Presently browsing with Chrome, and it does seem much quicker than IE.

Tom Lovick
14-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Complete rubbish--you dont have a clue what your talking about;)

:daft: :daft: :daft:

Well i do know what im talking about.

Some people :Censored: :Censored: annoy me

Well, I've downloaded Chrome and Safari. Presently browsing with Chrome, and it does seem much quicker than IE.

Well done on choosing the right browser !! :D :D

Daryll
14-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Well I have just found this link.

http://www.lunascape.tv/

It looks good , I am downloading it to give it a test , I use FF as my default browser on Win and Mint.

Daryll