PDA

View Full Version : gypsy wedding

tgosoundandlight
13-12-2010, 09:55 PM
i did a gypsy wedding a few weeks ago it was the worse thing i have ever done first thing was i was asked to turn up at 4 for a 7 start by half 4 i was asked to play back ground music while i setup my lights for the staff then 5 mins later the guests started coming in so i finshed rigging the light i was at the time and went behind my setup then at 5.10 i was asked to turn the music up by the venue manager at about 6 they wanted to do the dances at a gypsy wedding there alot of dances (bride and groom, bride and her father, bride and her mother, groom and brides mother, bride and best man, groom and head bridesmaid). and then it came to the disco and if the bride did not like a song she asked for it to be changed that second and if i didnt i was threatend by one of the gypsy's then the groom came up asking me to do an announcement asking him and the best men to dance to the ymca so i thought it would ok then the best men didnt like it so i had him threaten me i comlain to the venue manager cause i wanted to pack up and walk out he offered me doudle money to stay so i did well in the end i had had enough of all the rubbish i was about to pack up at about half 8 when the venue manager came up to me and said that the bride and groom had gone and i was to play one more track and then they were going to empty the venue the venue staff were annoyed and were ready to call it a night.

the guests had smashed about 30 plates and some glasses threw rubbish all over the floors and stamped food into the carpet and had made a great mess in the toilets including smoking weed and doing all kind of drugs in there im really surprised they didnt call the police but the family had paid £5000 for the venue for the whole day when they usually charge £3000 the venue manager wasnt really bothered about the amount of work they had to get the place ready for another event i was doing live sound for in the morning.

if im ever asked to this kind of event again i dont think i will if there like this with no alcohol i would hate to see them with it. but since this event the clients have complained to the venue about the rubbish disco with the dj changing track half way through clearing the dance floor (as asked to do by the bride) and doing stupid announcements all through the night (as asked to do by various people from the wedding party) this has caused me no problems with the venue as i have been working there since 2004, but it has caused me to have a bad name with prospective clients.

has anyone else had any troubles like this before?

thanks for reading tom

NKR
13-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Don't work for gypo's. Simple rule.

tgosoundandlight
13-12-2010, 10:01 PM
this is my new rule! i was told it would be an easy night and told to just play up to date music as the bride was only 16. but she wanted motown that was no problem but she kept changing her mind on tracks she wanted.

yourdj
13-12-2010, 10:08 PM
That was a very difficult read (block text and bad spelling/grammar).

There is not a single full stop in this sentence :)
Well other than the one at the end. Not having a go, I just find it difficult as I am dyslexic as it is.

and then it came to the disco and if the bride did not like a song she asked for it to be changed that second and if i didnt i was threatend by one of the gypsy's then the groom came up asking me to do an announcement asking him and the best men to dance to the ymca so i thought it would ok then the best men didnt like it so i had him threaten me i comlain to the venue manager cause i wanted to pack up and walk out he offered me doudle money to stay so i did well in the end i had had enough of all the rubbish i was about to pack up at about half 8 when the venue manager came up to me and said that the bride and groom had gone and i was to play one more track and then they were going to empty the venue the venue staff were annoyed and were ready to call it a night.

Your lucky there were no fights, which is the norm in these gigs.
Must have been a posh gypsy wedding :D

Shakermaker Promotions
13-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Ha Ha

Toby, did you do that on purpose?

Did you actually accuse someone of bad spelling and then say "Your lucky....".

D'oh!....It's You're!

yourdj
13-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Ha Ha

Toby, did you do that on purpose?

Did you actually accuse someone of bad spelling and then say "Your lucky....".

D'oh!....It's You're!

I did say I was Dyslexic :p - and a bit thick sometimes.

I at least make my posts as readable as possible.

Vectis
13-12-2010, 10:13 PM
there alot of dances (bride and groom, bride and her father, bride and her mother, groom and brides mother, bride and best man, groom and head bridesmaid).

... and did you notice it was always the same two people ;) :D :sofa:

Shakermaker Promotions
13-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Sorry mate, I knew you were a bit thick sometimes but I didn't know you were dyslexic so apologies! ;)

tgosoundandlight
13-12-2010, 10:21 PM
im dyslexic also i may have a spell check which is rubbish but unfortunately no grammer check and i have never been good at it.

it was meant to be filmed for channel 4's my big fat gypsy wedding but the bride decided against it at last minuite. im glad she did as it would have shown me up big time i tried my best with the worse crowd ive ever worked for.

there was one incident of fighting just outside two 7 year old brothers were play fighting and one came in with a broken nose and a dislocated jaw. im so glad nobody started on me in not the bigest of people at all

tom

Shakermaker Promotions
13-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm sure that if the wedding was filmed, you wouldn't have been shown in a bad light whatsoever. There probably would've been 2 seconds of you so I think you are worrying too much.

Take it on the chin, as experience and move on. We all have bad experiences or have had in the past. Forget about it.

StarZSoundS
13-12-2010, 10:27 PM
i did a gypsy wedding a few weeks ago it was the worse thing i have ever done first thing was i was asked to turn up at 4 for a 7 start by half 4 i was asked to play back ground music while i setup my lights for the staff then 5 mins later the guests started coming in so i finshed rigging the light i was at the time and went behind my setup then at 5.10 i was asked to turn the music up by the venue manager at about 6 they wanted to do the dances at a gypsy wedding there alot of dances (bride and groom, bride and her father, bride and her mother, groom and brides mother, bride and best man, groom and head bridesmaid). and then it came to the disco and if the bride did not like a song she asked for it to be changed that second and if i didnt i was threatend by one of the gypsy's then the groom came up asking me to do an announcement asking him and the best men to dance to the ymca so i thought it would ok then the best men didnt like it so i had him threaten me i comlain to the venue manager cause i wanted to pack up and walk out he offered me doudle money to stay so i did well in the end i had had enough of all the rubbish i was about to pack up at about half 8 when the venue manager came up to me and said that the bride and groom had gone and i was to play one more track and then they were going to empty the venue the venue staff were annoyed and were ready to call it a night.

the guests had smashed about 30 plates and some glasses threw rubbish all over the floors and stamped food into the carpet and had made a great mess in the toilets including smoking weed and doing all kind of drugs in there im really surprised they didnt call the police but the family had paid £5000 for the venue for the whole day when they usually charge £3000 the venue manager wasnt really bothered about the amount of work they had to get the place ready for another event i was doing live sound for in the morning.

if im ever asked to this kind of event again i dont think i will if there like this with no alcohol i would hate to see them with it. but since this event the clients have complained to the venue about the rubbish disco with the dj changing track half way through clearing the dance floor (as asked to do by the bride) and doing stupid announcements all through the night (as asked to do by various people from the wedding party) this has caused me no problems with the venue as i have been working there since 2004, but it has caused me to have a bad name with prospective clients.

has anyone else had any troubles like this before?

thanks for reading tom

I've only done one and it sounds like a mirror image of yours.
A bit more descriptive about the mess in the toilets...some have not worked out what the sit down toilets were invented to capture.

It finished with the customary scrap.....but this was like a Western....with everyone involved .....and smashing chairs over each other....

You can get an awful lot of money for doing these.....but don't PLEASE.You and your equipment are at risk......:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-12-2010, 10:33 PM

Sometimes? :boxer2:

tgosoundandlight
13-12-2010, 10:35 PM
i got double what i quoted the venue which was good. the venue is also paying to have my imove repaired that one of the kids decided to use as a follow spot while i was busy talking to the groom.

im just glad i didnt have time to get all my lights out cause i was going to uplight around the venue aswell which i didnt have time to do it is a big risk doing one of these events and im not taking it again.

all the work we do is experiance wether its bad or good.

yourdj
13-12-2010, 10:39 PM
i got double what i quoted the venue

I would do it again at that price - just get someone else to DJ for you with their equipment :D

thex-faders
13-12-2010, 10:40 PM
We ha exactly the same experience very early on and it was horrible! People throwing food, kids tryin to touch all our equipment and women trying to take the mic to sing karaoke.

We ended up packing up early and getting out as quickly as possible! Definaely the worst event of our Dj careers so far!

Only thing is the woman didnt sound like a gypsy on the phone or through other contact.

yourdj
13-12-2010, 10:43 PM
We ha exactly the same experience very early on and it was horrible! People throwing food, kids tryin to touch all our equipment and women trying to take the mic to sing karaoke.

We ended up packing up early and getting out as quickly as possible! Definaely the worst event of our Dj careers so far!

Only thing is the woman didnt sound like a gypsy on the phone or through other contact.

I had one like that. A house party.

The girl was lovely but they all started to have a mass brawl and then started on me.
Im in a cul de sac in a very dodgy area with all my equipment and loads of drunk violent idiots.

Never again. Got out alive. They would have killed me otherwise i think as i am an outsider.

Davy
13-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I've done a gypo wedding - I found them very hard work and very demanding but I'd worked in a few clubs they would frequent so I knew what to expect . Gotta love the shadow boxing as the guys jump about with shirts off and vests on.

Keep the woman happy and the guys will try n pull.

It's traditional for the guys to all sit together and get hammered and sane for women. To be honest it was hard work , the paid in full upfront in cash no problems that way .just dealing with them on the night was a pain .

Digital Jack
13-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I used to be dyslexic , but I'm KO now.
As for my grammar , well she passed away when I was very young.

And as for travellers , never again , not even if they paid me four times my fee .

Charlie Brown
13-12-2010, 11:23 PM
:lol:

...You have to laugh it off, right?

Sounds like an interesting/scary evening but you handled it well! I'm not sure how I would of coped in that situation. May sound daft, but I'm the type of guy who is open to abuse based on appearance.

I'm not sure I'd have taken the booking - probably would have and not realised what I'd let myself in for until the night!

Any pictures?

funkymook
13-12-2010, 11:31 PM
May sound daft, but I'm the type of guy who is open to abuse based on appearance.

It's too easy!!! :D

Disco Leisure UK
14-12-2010, 02:25 AM
We did a gypsy wedding in June this year, approx 200 people, our side of the job went perfect, no complaints, no threats etc, all had a great time, we got tipped £50 from father of the bride and offered food and drink.. however the hotel was counting the cost, young kids been dragged around the dancefloor on the table cloths, women on table 4 throwing glasses to table 6 which all smashed, 1 guy ended up with a toilet seat around his neck parading around with nothing on except his left sock!, interesting night indeed...

tgosoundandlight
14-12-2010, 09:41 AM
i will add pics when i find my camera ive just moved house so everything is all over.

Megamix
14-12-2010, 09:53 AM
a toilet seat around his neck parading around with nothing on except his left sock

Sure I've seen this look paraded up and down a catwalk at a Paris fashion show

TONYTIGER
14-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Big difference between Gipsies and Travellers in the West Country the word didecoys comes to mind ,i have had some very good Gipsy weddings.

Jonathan Ford
14-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I haven't worked with gypsys as a DJ, but did so as a hotelier. I was General Manager at the New England Hotel in Boston, Lincs, and we often had requests to provide functions to gypsys. As has been stated, they pay very well, but destroy the place.

We started off not knowing this, and learnt the hard way. By the time the third function came round, we'd quadrupled the price, had everything paid in advance and used plastic glasses for everything. We stopped doing them after the fourth wedding, which turned into a real battle - even the doorstaff we'd employed retreated. The first time I've ever seen police in riot gear in a hotel function room doing their thang!

Long and short of it, unless the money is enough for me to completely replace my rig, and potentially compensate me for a fractured skull, I'm not interested.

Megamix
14-12-2010, 10:42 AM
lets hope people don't read it as Jonathan Ford's Travellers Disco then

Mark Wild
14-12-2010, 10:44 AM
This might sound stupid and forgive me for my ignorance if it does, but how would you know the client is a gypsy beforehand? Just so I can nip it in the bud should the occasion arise.

Javlingames
14-12-2010, 10:55 AM
This might sound stupid and forgive me for my ignorance if it does, but how would you know the client is a gypsy beforehand? Just so I can nip it in the bud should the occasion arise.

Erm well, a very fast speaking irish accent, lots of kids in the background, short notice, mid week, pre event requests for r&b and rock and roll, no landline number. Whoops is that generalising lol

Jonathan Ford
14-12-2010, 11:08 AM
lets hope people don't read it as Jonathan Ford's Travellers Disco then

Ha! Good point! Perhaps I'll have to put some flashing lights around the text!

In my experience, again with hotels, not DJing, they're generally pretty honest about it, and often understand that they'll have to pay a premium for the havoc that often ensues. Having said that, this experience does date back to the mid-90's.

DJ Frankie
14-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Sounds a nightmare, to be honest I have never done a gypsy wedding thank god, but how do you guys actually know if it is a gypsy wedding or not, does the hotel C&B chap give you a heads up?

yourdj
14-12-2010, 12:13 PM
They actually sound like fun. I like events like that (as a guest) but i would be worried about my equipment if I was Djing.
They are normally not too bad and if you give back a bit of jovial lip then they respect you a bit more.

If you are aggressive with them then thats the nail in the coffin. :D

how do you guys actually know if it is a gypsy wedding or not,

Mark just asked that. I believe the answer was last min mid week booking, irish accent (or guests coming), and load of kids running all over the place. No landline number and they turn up with a 4x4 and a caravan. :D and lots of lucky charms (maybe I am stereotyping now)

Not allot different to chavvy functions although I expect they may be a bit more intelligent than chavvs.

Corabar Entertainment
14-12-2010, 12:29 PM
OK - I think we're crossing the line in this thread now. Just as with everything else, there's good and bad, and I just would like to give a gentle reminder:-

Forum Rules

21. No derogatory remarks based on ethnicity, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation or any other social aspect of a person's background will be permitted, whether directed personally at another member or generic comments made regarding any particular group.

:thanks:

TONYTIGER
14-12-2010, 12:35 PM
OK - I think we're crossing the line in this thread now. Just as with everything else, there's good and bad, and I just would like to give a gentle reminder:-

Well done Angela you beat me to the button,suggest some of you do a search Gypsy as i have quite a few mates who fall into this group and this would not make good reading.

funkymook
14-12-2010, 12:44 PM

I think the line was crossed very early on - some of the comments would not have been tolerated if they had been directed at any other minority group!

Corabar Entertainment
14-12-2010, 12:49 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with you, Martin, but I usually get accused of being 'too PC' by a lot of members when it comes to things like this, so I've been sitting here very uncomfortably biting my tongue.... but I couldn't do so any longer.

yourdj
14-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Totally agree although it is meant in jest. I have some gypsy mates and they are cool.

I wont bother posting again as it would probably mean another trip to the sin bin. :(

Charlie Brown
14-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I wont bother posting again as it would probably mean another trip to the sin bin. :(

Yup - stick to posting only in the 'Newbies section' - you should be safe then. :sj:

funkymook
14-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Yup - stick to posting only in the 'Newbies section' - you should be safe then. :sj:

:offtopic: :hijack: :whoosh:

Mark Wild
14-12-2010, 01:14 PM
. I have some gypsy mates and they are cool.

:Laugh:

Jonathan Ford
14-12-2010, 01:16 PM
:Laugh:

Did I tell you that my best mate is gay/black/Muslim/ginger/David Icke.........?

Mark Wild
14-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Did I tell you that my best mate is gay/black/Muslim/ginger/David Icke.........?

:lol: Talk about cliche LOL !

Corabar Entertainment
14-12-2010, 01:19 PM
What a surprise.... Charlie sees an opportunity to have a dig at the forum and leaps in to the thread.

It's wearing rather thin, Charlie. If it's so bloody terrible here, then don't bother posting.

Mark Wild
14-12-2010, 01:22 PM
What a surprise.... Charlie sees an opportunity to have a dig at the forum and leaps in to the thread.

It's wearing rather thin, Charlie. If it's so bloody terrible here, then don't bother posting.

Indeed ! get some work done Charles, surely there's some filing to do? Go get some doughnuts for the estate agents !

Charlie Brown
14-12-2010, 01:50 PM

It was a joke? :confused: :o

I didn't 'leap' either - I game my opinion earlier on in the thread. :)

Indeed ! get some work done Charles, surely there's some filing to do? Go get some doughnuts for the estate agents !

:boxer2:

It's dead.

Corabar Entertainment
14-12-2010, 01:52 PM
It was a joke...
It's wearing rather thin

simonp
14-12-2010, 01:55 PM

:lol: - two sugars Charlie :D

DeckstarDeluxe
14-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with you, Martin, but I usually get accused of being 'too PC' by a lot of members when it comes to things like this, so I've been sitting here very uncomfortably biting my tongue.... but I couldn't do so any longer.

Don't ever change luv ;)

Corabar Entertainment
14-12-2010, 02:26 PM
:lol: :rose:

Kernow
14-12-2010, 02:42 PM

And I would be grateful if no mention was made of my sexual orientation.................

.......... and so would the goats !! ;)
:D :D :D

Jonathan Ford
14-12-2010, 02:59 PM
And I would be grateful if no mention was made of my sexual orientation.................

.......... and so would the goats !! ;)
:D :D :D

:D I must tell you one day about a guy called Mick..."The Sedlescombe Goat Worrier"....you'd get on!

yourdj
14-12-2010, 03:38 PM
It's dead.

He has been emailing me all day so it must be.
Are you getting paid for this job or is it work experience :muppet:

Do you not have to deliver leaflets through local houses if its dead to drum up some business.
All the smart suited postmen do in my area.

:lol: Talk about cliche LOL !

One of my best friends likes boys too.

She is a girl. :o

Charlie Brown
14-12-2010, 03:52 PM
He has been emailing me all day so it must be.
Are you getting paid for this job or is it work experience :muppet:

Do you not have to deliver leaflets through local houses if its dead to drum up some business.
All the smart suited postmen do in my area.

Nah,

Just setup the xmas tree. :lol:

Excalibur
15-12-2010, 11:39 AM

Rule 21? Oh poo!. :( :( :( :( :( :( Surely there's a special dispensation for inhabitants of God's County to have a pop at the next one down? It's our right.

MBK
15-12-2010, 01:22 PM
I have done several Gypsy wedding over the last few years.

How to spot them

1. Best deal for cash (I always ask for payment up front and charge a bit extra)
2. They never Text or Email confirmation
3. Very rarely a Postal address and they wont sign any form of contract
4. They turn up to the consultation in a driveway Transit with most of the family.

Most of them were at the same venue (now closed) and went without any problems. The venue was one of only a few in the area that allowed this type of function and alway put on security and notified the local police.

All that i can say is CD users watch your CD's they will go......1 by 1 if your not on the ball.

NKR
15-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Rule 21? Oh poo!. :( :( :( :( :( :( Surely there's a special dispensation for inhabitants of God's County to have a pop at the next one down? It's our right.

As it is the right of the county to your left to give you a good old butt kicking every couple of hundred years. :D

lisashacks
15-12-2010, 09:05 PM
ooo Gypsy's are hard work!

I was an Entertainments manager for a rather large holiday park company and on one of their big parks. Gypsy's came down for the bank holiday, the main managers wouldn't go up to them directly because they were scared of them. Any way they kept trying to jump on the stage whilst one of the acts were on stage, being a bit nasty whilst with my team, and the go backstage and nick my equipment.

I went to the head of the party the elders and laid it on the table to them very politely; (if they jump on the stage the music stops, if they break any of my rules or are rude to my team, we wont play any request lol) and they were as good as gold for me and anything to do with ents it was the other departments they were knobs haha.

Davy
17-12-2010, 10:31 AM

There are a lot of ways to tell , names , age , accent and address if your sending a booking form.If you suspect it on the phone then ask for an address to send an information pack to.

Names - not all but a lot have names that's fairly unusual .last one I did there names were Noah and avril , other common travellers names are issac and I know loads of jimmy, joes and jonnys .

Age - it's a custom that they marry very young and most are under 18 but as I said above not always.

Accent - it's a cross between English, Irish and Scottish .Hard to explain but very distinctive.

Address - a lot now live in houses but there are still more living on caravan sites .

There was a program on not that long ago you can watch on YouTube it was about gypsie weddings from their point of view. Have a look on YouTube for

My big fat gypsie wedding

If you want to go down that road there is serious money to be made specialising in this kind of thing as a lot won't touch it for reasons listed above.

From years in working in clubs I got to know a few and it's worked in my favour, I caught them taking drugs in the toilets and as there was 40+ of them 5 stewards wouldn't have been able to handle it so I told him to be a bit more discreet . After that everytime I bump into one of them in a pub they'll buy me a pint. The guy I caught was a champion prize fighter and he attacked a guy for giving me stick in the club one night too.

If there's a local one then ill prob know them so I'd consider it for a healthy fee and I know I'll be alright but I have been asked about 3 or 4 over the last 2 years and I was " booked " that night.

Digital Jack
22-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Youtube..........

Look for ; Rubberbandits - Horse Outside .

I'd post a link but it has few adult words in the lyrics.

yourdj
23-12-2010, 12:34 AM
All that i can say is CD users watch your CD's they will go......1 by 1 if your not on the ball.

I would barricade myself in I think with tables and hide anything portable (like my radio mic).
Even at school discos they nick things as i found out last week.

Charlie Brown
29-12-2010, 03:46 AM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding/4od#3053944

Really worth a watch.

Very, very, very interesting. :beer1:

Andy Goodtimes
29-12-2010, 05:50 AM
To say to watch your CDs and so on is a bit unfair, it suggests that all of them are thieves.

I honestly don't mind Gipsy Weddings, first 2 I did were by accident, several years ago I got a call off a local venue saying the DJ hadn't turned up and they had the Wedding party there with no DJ so how soon could I get there...me being me and wanting to help out I dashed there to find they were all Gipsys and the venue had never told me, I got on ok with them and they gave me a tip.

Another time a hotel where I work took a booking not realising it was a Gipsy Wedding, the Gipsys had sent the one that spoke the best English into the venue to do the business, he was dressed very smart and paid in full in cash and had an actual address and land-line. I did have a bit of a problem early on with some kids wanting to look at my CDs...dunno if they wanted to knick them but I said a very definate no from the outset and they accepted it. One of the men who was a bit drunk was getting a bit demanding for requests and one of the older ladies spotted that he was being an ar5e and soon bought him into line...quite funny actually as he was a big chap and she a little old lady.

I have done several since and actually enjoy them, I also used to do a pub that was frequented by lots of Irish Gipsys and got on well with them. I found to be honest and firm and polite and they're basically ok, if they like you they will buy you lots of drinks and make sure that no one bothers you. Make out you are doing a big discount for cash and they love it. In all treuth don't think I have ever struggled to be paid and have always been given a tip.

yourdj
29-12-2010, 12:11 PM
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding/4od#3053944

Really worth a watch.

Very, very, very interesting. :beer1:

Charlie do you do anything outside of Youtube and MDD? :p

Charlie Brown
29-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Charlie do you do anything outside of Youtube and MDD? :p

:boxer2: :boxer2:

Yes! I have a very good social life thank you. :p

yourdj
29-12-2010, 01:33 PM
:boxer2: :boxer2:

Yes! I have a very good social life thank you. :p

Watching that film there was very little emphasis of the venue and any mess etc. any of the evenings entertainment was not even shown after first dance which makes me wonder as I assume if there are any problems it will happen when all the men have got drunk.

There must be such competition for girls if its true and they are not allowed to procreate before marriage :confused:
also sexual frustration on both accounts. The girls do look VERY cheap IMO although most on that video were quite attractive.

I think if I do a traveller wedding I will scope out the boss (ie the bare knuckle fighter bloke) and get them onside right at the start so I know I have someone to go too if there are any issues. Thats what i do at some of the rougher weddings i have attended. Usually a father of the bride etc.

Looking at the DJ set up on the last one its pretty naff. the lights and speakers were all along the floor.
You can also hear how bad the sound is on film, which leads me to assume it may have been a niave DJ?
I am probably wrong though.