PDA

View Full Version : Citronic mpx10 Mixer

MikeW
14-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience or thoughts on the new Citronic mpx10 mixer.
It seemed to get a good review in the recent Pro Mobile mag.

Just wondering what your thoughts were on it.

Thanks in advance

Mike.

MikeW
15-12-2010, 06:31 AM
So no thoughts on this :) I guess by the response it's not going on your christmas list!

alanrees151
11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
I have just bought one of these and it is a good little player.

Sound quality is very very good for the money and the overall feel is nice, not too cheap or plasticy.

Playing from usb sticks is straight forward and you can flick through folders and files quickly using the dials on the player. You can also create a database on the PC of you thumb drives and then display tracks in order of title, album or genre. There is no keyboard search facility though.

The onboard effects are cool as are the hot cues and looping functions.

The displays are nice and bright but its worth noting that they dont show any information when in midi mode, you will need to look at the laptop screen for that.

Mixer section is nice with decent EQ and push button kills, there is also a booth output with seperate volume control. The crossfader is adjustable and can also be switched off if you prefer to mix using the channel faders. The level meter is good and can be switched to show deck levels or master level.

There is no software bundled with this player though so if you want to use it as a midi controller you will need a copy of vdj, traktor or similar.

I got sound running through this from VDJ and traktor quickly with no problems but there are no full mapping files available yet. I have started mapping some of the basic controls out but this is a little time consuming - hopefully some proper mapping files will be forthcoming.

Overall the citronic mpx10 is a good player, perhaps a little overpriced given that it doesnt come with any software. But if you already have software and can hold on until the mapping is sorted then this is a decent bit of kit.

I got mine from Mike at Phase One, who has them on offer at the moment - worth a look if you fancy one!

alanrees151
12-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I have tried to write a more comprehensive review than the one posted above and added some pictures below:

I have just bought one of these and it is a good little player.

Main reason I bought this is so I can use it as a midi controller and have a couple of usb sticks plugged in ready to go as back up just in case the laptop crashes and needs re-booting. There doesnt seem to be anything else on the market that offers these features in one box, especially not at this price.

Sound quality is very very good for the money and the overall feel is nice, not too cheap or plasticy.

Playing from usb sticks is straight forward and you can flick through folders and files quickly using the dials on the player. You can also create a database on the PC of you thumb drives and then display tracks in order of title, album or genre. There is no keyboard search facility though.

The onboard effects are cool as are the hot cues and looping functions. I had great fun the other night playing and mixing some house tracks together using the effects. Thex and y parameters of each effect can be altered using the jogwheel to create some cool sounds. Hot cues and loops can be saved back to the usb drive and recalled later too.

The jogwheel is a decent size and is responsive, it can be set to CD DJ mode for pitch bending, Vinyl mode for scratching or a.cue mode for scracthing tricks and effects.

All the normal buttons are there too, like pitch bend, time elapsed / remaining, single / continuous etc.

The pitch sliders are nice and long and although the pitch definition is only 0.0 (1 decimal place) when in the lowest 6% setting I found beatmixing between tracks easy and tracks stayed in sync pretty well too. You can choose between 6, 10 or 16% pitch range plus there is the usual key lock feature.

The displays are nice and bright but its worth noting that they dont show any information when in midi mode, you will need to look at the laptop screen for that.

Mixer section is nice with decent EQ and push button kills, there is also a booth output with seperate volume control. The crossfader is adjustable and can also be switched off if you prefer to mix using the channel faders. The level meter is good and can be switched to show deck levels or master level.

Proper balanced XLR outputs are provided and there are 2 line or phono inputs for adding cd players, decks, mp3 players etc.

Headphone output is clear and loud, you can listen to each channel or fade between the two for mixing. It would have been nice to have the option to cue the master output or a split cue option - but sadly both these options are missing.

There are two mic inputs, both with seperate volume levels and with overall tone control. It would have been nice to have seperare EQ but due to the size of the unit this wouldnt really be possible to fit any extra controls in. It is good to have the two seperate mic inputs and level controls as usually unts of this type only have 1 mic input. There is also lever to select mics on / off / talkover.

There is no software bundled with this player though so if you want to use it as a midi controller you will need a copy of vdj, traktor or similar.

I got sound running through this from VDJ and traktor quickly with no problems but there are no full mapping files available yet. I have started mapping some of the basic controls out but this is a little time consuming - hopefully some proper mapping files will be forthcoming. Obviously when using this as a midi controller you will be able to map any software function to any key and set up the controller to suit your needs.

Overall the citronic mpx10 is a good player, perhaps a little overpriced given that it doesnt come with any software. But if you already have software and can hold on until the mapping is sorted then this is a decent bit of kit.

I got mine from Mike at Phase One, who has them on offer at the moment - worth a look if you fancy one! I'm planning on doing a demo video on this once the mapping is sorted out so watch this space

There are planty of pics online but here is a pic of it lit up in the dark:

MikeW
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write the above Alan. Very interesting. I am still giving it some thought.
I hope to have a play with one soon.
In response to another thread I am trying to decide what to buy next!
I think I am still going down the new speaker route (QSC ) although still got a bit more saving to do:)

Thanks again for you review.

Mike.

alanrees151
13-01-2011, 07:16 AM
No problem!

I have managed to find mapping files for Traktor here - http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sanshindj.com%2Fvoxoa%2Fs60.asp

They are actually for the Voxoa S60, but that is the exact same product - just a chinese version.

It works well with traktor so I just need to hunt down the VDJ mapping files now :)

alanrees151
15-01-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmsIGf2hgzs

alanrees151
15-01-2011, 03:38 PM
and another quick vid showing the unit working from a usb hard drive:

YouTube - Citronic MPX10 midi controller and usb player, VDJ, Traktor - video 2

MikeW
16-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks for that Alan. Very interesting. This might sound :daft: but are you ok with the fact that it only has two main sliders, as opposed to four.
If you have a track playing and your next one lined up, I take it you can still switch over to a usb line? Sorry if this is asking the obvious. I just wanted your thoughts on it.
Thanks again

Mike.

alanrees151
16-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for that Alan. Very interesting. This might sound :daft: but are you ok with the fact that it only has two main sliders, as opposed to four.
If you have a track playing and your next one lined up, I take it you can still switch over to a usb line? Sorry if this is asking the obvious. I just wanted your thoughts on it.
Thanks again

Mike.

Yeah, I can only ever seeing you switching over in an emergency and using the usb as a back up. I am going to be using this mainly as a midi contoller with a couple of usb sticks ready to go if the lappy crashes.

If you really need or want 4 channels then the denon mc6000 or american audio vms4 are the way to go. But both of thise dont have any built it back up and the denon is way more expensive.