PDA

View Full Version : IPad. a serious backup?

WWDJ
14-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm considering getting an IPad (will probably wait for the Ipad2), but I am thinking of it not only as a cool gadget but a serious bit of kit for backup.

With the advent of IOS4.2, the ipad software can now access the itunes / ipad library so you could quite easily have a store of a couple of thousand party tunes ready to go should the worst happen.

I'd be interested to see what software is available soon to turn this into a decent proposal for a playout system.

Your thoughts?

Charlie Brown
14-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm interested in buying one.

When is the No 2 coming out?

simonp
14-12-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm considering getting an IPad (will probably wait for the Ipad2), but I am thinking of it not only as a cool gadget but a serious bit of kit for backup.

With the advent of IOS4.2, the ipad software can now access the itunes / ipad library so you could quite easily have a store of a couple of thousand party tunes ready to go should the worst happen.

I'd be interested to see what software is available soon to turn this into a decent proposal for a playout system.

Your thoughts?

Darrens got the apple DJay installed on his should the worst come to the worst - headphone socket out into your mixer - I know Toby (YourDJ) speaks quite well of that software, maybe ask him and Darren.
If Santa brings me an ipad I'll be sticking that on it - I think someone has also developed an app whereby you can control traktor wirelessly with it, actually come to think of it I do know a DJ who controls Serato wirelessly with his

TONYTIGER
14-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Im not to clever on this subject but i can confirm as my son uses a i pad to control itch on his Vestax VC.

WWDJ
14-12-2010, 05:52 PM
That DJay Software looks to have the basics covered ;-)

yourdj
14-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I know Toby (YourDJ) speaks quite well of that software

Its pretty good. especially with a controller.

As back up its excellent as it can run auto play with a set list and auto beat match should you have to leave the venue for some reason.

Its a nice interactive player. I would imagine on a touch screen pretty good as it has platters.

Pretty stable although I would not use it as main playout.

I might get one if any good!! carry it with me with my mac.

http://www.futuremusic.com/news/images/djay-ipad.jpg

Ecstatic Events
14-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Richie Hawtin used TWO iPads extensively during his performances in Ibiza this year using an application that controls Ableton. If top DJ's like him are incorporating the use of iPads into sets, there's no question about reliability and stability for me.

I consider my iPhone 4 a form of backup :) fully loaded with essential tracks to get me through a night should the unimaginable happen!!!

Megamix
14-12-2010, 09:40 PM
One caveat - You will get a binaural mono signal for master and pre-cueing, so you will hear sound on both speakers/ears

Charlie Brown
14-12-2010, 10:10 PM
...Wish there was a software for DMX. :cool:

Jiggles
14-12-2010, 10:17 PM
...Wish there was a software for DMX. :cool:

There is. ;) BUT would mean shelling out HUGE amounts for controllers for it all. Plus it would be one heck of an overkill! :D ETC ION. ;)

simonp
14-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Richie Hawtin used TWO iPads extensively during his performances in Ibiza this year using an application that controls Ableton

:eek: :eek: He's supposed to be a total Traktor Boy - WTF is he doing using Ableton :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:

BeerFunk
14-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Why would you choose something so expensive, and with so many potential points of failure, as your backup device?!

Invest in a decent, reliable main playout system, and your backup will most likely never be used anyway. And if it is, you only need something to get you through the night, it doesn't need to be a fancy toy with bells and whistles :)

WWDJ
14-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Why would you choose something so expensive, and with so many potential points of failure, as your backup device?!

Invest in a decent, reliable main playout system, and your backup will most likely never be used anyway. And if it is, you only need something to get you through the night, it doesn't need to be a fancy toy with bells and whistles :)

I do. I have a macbook pro running traktor pro. If that fails then it is on to the Denon HD2500 which used to be main playout and then finally the ipad.

The ipad will be used for lots of things not just djing! ....

simonp
15-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I do. I have a macbook pro running traktor pro. If that fails then it is on to the Denon HD2500 which used to be main playout and then finally the ipad.

The ipad will be used for lots of things not just djing! ....

Snap-a-roony (apart from the Denon) - The ipad would be a personal toy and the added bonus would be as a third or forth back up :D

Vectis
15-12-2010, 12:26 AM
The ipad would be a personal toy

... I'll bet that's not how you describe it on your asset register ;) :D

simonp
15-12-2010, 12:28 AM
... I'll bet that's not how you describe it on your asset register ;) :D

swings and round-a-bouts :lol: ;) :D

yourdj
15-12-2010, 07:38 AM
I personally think the ipad is a stop gap for something bigger and better (proper touch screen/holgraphic technology).
Another secondhand macbook would be more useful for all round back up.

I would rather wait for a cheap second hand ipad - but this is pretty good and visually a plus point for client meetings to show videos and pictures of optional extras you may not be able to demo? also looks good at gigs.

I would use it as background as djay has an auto mix thing. and run it though the through channel on my vestax.

YouTube - djay for iPad - The full-fledged iPad DJ app by algoriddim

http://www.oddsandpods.co.uk/images/ipad_rotating_stand_2.jpg

discomobiledj
15-12-2010, 07:42 AM
The first words "everybody wants to be a dj" followed by "now you can" screams sixty quid Sid.

djdave01
15-12-2010, 11:31 AM
ive been messing about on mine with a program called mobile mouse, replaces the keyboard & mouse to control the laptop. not used it yet at a gig though.

also trying splashtop, the picture from the computer screen is displayed on the ipads screen, and you can control it from there.

at halloween, i had a load of sound effects on the ipad, which i used via the mixer to play during the party

once i get some music on it, id be happy enough to use it for a backup player

sleah
15-12-2010, 11:43 AM

Quite! I couldn't agree more! Why spend an obscene amount of money on something that won't do the job especially well? Can't even plug a decent sound card in to the darn thing!

<rant> why is it that people who have sold their souls to apple always seem to want to do things with i products that they wern't really designed to do?
Thinks ipod weddings and the like - it's not a bl00dy playout system, it's a personal music player ffs!!!!!
</rant>

Shaun
15-12-2010, 11:56 AM
the 'djay' app isn't bad for a basic backup. I used it for a couple of songs at last nights gig. Basic but not too bad.

Ecstatic Events
15-12-2010, 12:24 PM
:eek: :eek: He's supposed to be a total Traktor Boy - WTF is he doing using Ableton :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol:

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2010/06/richie-hawtin-using-ipad-plastik

Sign of the times :cool:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-12-2010, 12:49 PM
the 'djay' app isn't bad for a basic backup. I used it for a couple of songs at last nights gig. Basic but not too bad.

What was the sound quality like?

This thread does make me laugh with people ranting on about this not being proper backup etc. Apart from the soundcard (which a lot of people probably don't use anyway), what is the difference between using this and a laptop?

I have mine as 4th backup, after the laptop and netbook. (ooh, is that allowed, after all it's not proper back up)

Is it a serious backup? No.

Is it worth taking for emergencies? Yes.

Shaun
15-12-2010, 12:57 PM
What was the sound quality like?

I couldn't hear any audible difference going through my mixer. Sounded great.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I couldn't hear any audible difference going through my mixer. Sounded great.

Have you still got that cheap old Denon? :boxer2: :sj:

WWDJ
15-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that if DJ's are putting them through massive sound systems and they sound ok, then it is good enough for me.

I like the Ipad stand illustrated Toby ;-)

Shaun
15-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Have you still got that cheap old Denon? :boxer2: :sj:

Yes. Let me rephrase my previous statement. "It sounded is great as it could from a cheap old Denon mixer". :d

Alchemy
15-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Your thoughts?

Me thinks this might be a desperately transparent attempt to get the iPad purchase past your missus :D :D :D :D

WWDJ
15-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Me thinks this might be a desperately transparent attempt to get the iPad purchase past your missus :D :D :D :D

That goes without saying! .... I tend to use the 'I sold a few things' excuse ... things she didn't even know I had normally ;-)

Larry B Entertainment
15-12-2010, 02:27 PM
I tend to use the 'I sold a few things' excuse ... things she didn't even know I had normally ;-)

I also have to use that line now and again :o
I couldnt get away with that after buying an ipad though, she saw me looking at them the other day and saw the price lol

WWDJ
15-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I also have to use that line now and again :o
I couldnt get away with that after buying an ipad though, she saw me looking at them the other day and saw the price lol

About 10 decent nights out on the lash. I probably need to give some of those a miss to justify it!

djdave01
15-12-2010, 03:42 PM
it's not a bl00dy playout system, it's a personal music player ffs!!!!!
</rant>

i agree, its not a playout system, but as a backup to keep music playing while you sort out any problem, it'll do fine.

I know id rather carry an small ipad as a backup music player, than a large twin deck cd system or a second laptop.