PDA

View Full Version : soundlab scanners

melvin7005
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
i have just obtained a set of soundlab dmx scanners and wonderede if anyone could help with how to set dipswitches as these have no instructions etc
thanks
colin

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 10:52 PM
dipswitches are quite easy to do, once u understand how you make the dmx numbers up.

The number your selecting is the number that the channels start with, so if its a 3 channel dmx fixture, and the dip switch is set to 17, the channels will be 17,18 and 19 for the different functions.

Dipswitches are in binary form (0s and 1s like a computer) so we have to make up the number we want the fixtures channels to start at

on the numbers above the each dipswitch, there are numbers, each of these numbers represent the following:

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 4
4 = 8
5 = 16
6 = 32
7 = 64
8 = 128
9 = 256
10 = 512
11 = Special function (if is has one)

So if we want to make 17, we have to add the numbers up to make 17, in this case we would select dip switches 1 and 5 to the "on" position.

Providing you've got the controller and other fixtures all wired up channel 17,18 and 19 on your dmx controller would then control that scanner. You could then set the other scanner (if in a pair) to say to 33, and then you could control them seperatly, although i dont recommend this if the fixture isnt going to do anything different to the other one, you might aswell set both scanners to channel 17.

There are no limits to the amount of scanners/fixtures/dmx units you can have assigned to one channel.

The above is the same for all dipswitches despite manufacture/brand/model. Hope this helps :)

Will.

melvin7005
08-08-2006, 11:31 PM
hi
how would i tell how many channels i have will the controller has 4 slider controls and 1 output at the back for connection to the lights
many thanks
colin

DMX Will
08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
the amount of sliders on a control desk doesnt determine how many channels it has. Or are you asking how many channels the scanners have?

melvin7005
09-08-2006, 11:24 PM
the control i have has sliders 1-4 and cross and tilt as well i have connected form controller to master then from master to slave but dont have a clue about dipswitches and programmes etc on controller or scanners any idiots guide available ha ah
colin

DMX Will
09-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Colin,

As if given you a brief guide on setting your dipswitches for the fixtures, I advise you turn to your manual for your controller. There isn't an easy dmx controller out there in the price bracket mobile DJs are at, so your just going to need to set aside a couple of hours one evening to sit through with the manual, the controller and the two lights and get some programming done.

If you pass on the brand/model number of the controller to me, I may be able to shed some light, but the smaller controller manuals tend to tell you everything you need to know, in a "DMX controllers for dummies" friendly type way.

If you don't have the manual for the controller, look it up using google or the manufactures website, and download the manual in a pdf form, then I advise you print it out, as it'll take a couple of reads on some sections. Likewise with your soundlab scanners, should you have any problems there.

Will.

P.S. Any chance of some punctuation in your next post? It took me four reads to understand!!

melvin7005
10-08-2006, 08:34 AM
cheers will
my spelling i think was helped under some alcoholic influence afraid but thanks for your help m8
cheers
colin

DMX Will
10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
No problem! Good Luck!

melvin7005
10-08-2006, 08:19 PM
guess what wasnt my fault as the dmx controller was faulty so exchanged for an acme dynatwin and 2 x acme falcons with all leads works a treat:) apart from a dodgy cd phono lead which was supplied with mixing console but soon sorted that one
cheers will and thanks for your help
colin

DMX Will
10-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Excellent, the falcons are very nice lanterns, glad its working out for you :)

Will.