PDA

View Full Version : Track editing program

Spirits High
15-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I've got a Wedding coming up where the Bride has asked me if I could edit down her "Aisle" track

She's not actually said how much needs trimming off but will let me know on Monday after the "rehearsal"

Can anyone steer me in the right direction ;)

I know Tony has helped out in the past when one of my couples wanted one of the edited together first dances of differing tracks so you might get another shout!

Vectis
15-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Well when you eventually put your hand in your pocket for that shiny new Mac, you'll find Garageband preinstalled and it's perfect for this type of thing ;)

Ecstatic Events
15-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Soundforge is the program for the job. It will even have a fade out setting once you've cut your track.

I even think you can do this within Nero should you have the software on any machine you own :)

Spirits High
15-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Well when you eventually put your hand in your pocket for that shiny new Mac, you'll find Garageband preinstalled and it's perfect for this type of thing ;)

Funny you should say that as when I googled "music editing software" Garageband came up!

Soundforge is the program for the job. It will even have a fade out setting once you've cut your track.

I even think you can do this within Nero should you have the software on any machine you own :)

Not got Nero but I'll explore Soundforge

Thanks

Mark Wild
15-12-2010, 06:51 PM
If this kind of thing is all you need it for, maybe Audacity will do you. It's free too.

http://www.download-audacity.com/

Vectis
15-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Funny you should say that as when I googled "music editing software" Garageband came up!

Stoopid American name ... fantastic bit of intuitive software. Easily overlooked which is a bit of a travesty. A bit like FrontRow in that respect.

Spirits High
15-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I've just been "playing" with a laptop that I use for karaoke & Wedding fayres and it appears to have Mixmeister fusion on it :eek: (Usually use PCKJ hence how I didn't know it was there)

Now I'm thinking I'll be able to do what I want on this as there's also a "burn cd" tab :D

Any Mixmeister users confirm this?

Booche
15-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Ok sorry for the long post im about to copy and paste from the instructions. :sofa:

Splitting a song into segments

When you drag a song into a playlist, by default, it consists of only one “segment.” However, if you want to, you can split a song into two or more segments.

In MixMeister, segments are simply pieces of a song that you can work with. For example, you can move segments, make segments longer or shorter, copy and paste segments, and much more. You’ll know that a segment is selected when you see it outlined in orange.

Here's what a track looks like when you first add it to the Playlist. It only has one segment:

Here's what it might look like after you split it into two segments:

To split a song (or a segment) into two segments

1. In the Timeline, click a song (or an existing segment) at the point where you want to split it in two. (The flashing cursor appears in a vertical line where you clicked the song.)

2. Right-click the Timeline, and then click Split Segment at Cursor.
To make a song into one “segment” again

1. In the Timeline, click a song that you’ve already split into two or more segments

2. Extend the right end of a segment in the middle of a song out to the end of the song. Or, extend the left end of a segment in the middle of a song to the beginning of the song.

3. Repeat Step 2 as necessary until the song is back in one piece (or segment) again.
To select a segment

· In a song in the Timeline, click the segment you want to select. If the entire song is still only one segment, the entire song will be selected. A selected segment has an orange outline.

See also:

Cropping or extending a segment

Editing a track with drag & drop, copy & paste, and cut

Cropping or extending a segment

Whether you’re working with music files that consist of only one segment each, or music files that you’ve split into several segments, at times you’ll want to crop or extend (shorten or lengthen) segments. It’s easy to do this—you just drag the beginning or end of a segment—and it’s risk-free, too. That’s because MixMeister uses “non-destructive editing.” This means that no matter how much you edit a track in the Timeline, you’re never really changing the original music file, so you can always get back to it! Added benefits are that your onscreen editing goes much faster and your working files are much smaller.

You can even extend a track beyond the beginning or end of the music file. You might do this so that you can insert blank space between tracks that you can fill in later with a spoken voice overlay track.
To crop a segment

1. In the Timeline, point to a segment line at the beginning or end of the segment you want to crop. (Text will appear that says, Crop or Extend Segment.)

2. Drag the line to the point where you want to crop (shorten) the segment, and then release the mouse pointer.
To extend the length of a segment

1. In the Timeline, point to a segment line at the beginning or end of the segment you want to extend. (Text will appear that says, Crop or Extend Segment.)

2. Drag the line to the point where you want to extend (lengthen) the segment, and then release the mouse pointer.

Or visit http://www.mixmeister.com/docs/HelpBasicTechniques.htm

Mark Wild
15-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Don't you mean

Ok sorry for the long post im about to copy and paste from the instructions. :sofa:

Booche
15-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Don't you mean

You really need to get your eyes tested Mark lol :sofa: :P

Spirits High
15-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Or visit http://www.mixmeister.com/docs/HelpBasicTechniques.htm

Nice one Dave,

I know what I'm doing tomorrow now :D

Becareful when you come back from London make sure you take a strong bag to put all that gold in that the streets are paved with :D :D

Booche
15-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Nice one Dave,

I know what I'm doing tomorrow now :D

Becareful when you come back from London make sure you take a strong bag to put all that gold in that the streets are paved with :D :D

lol i got told it was all in Yorkshire :eek: think ill stick to STEVE's fryups they taste alot better lol :P

If you get stuck theres always the mixmiester helpline :sofa: