PDA

View Full Version : Denon HD-2500 Problems with HDD.

Twinspin
17-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Im currently having problems with my hd2500. When i switch it on it verifies the database and then comes up with

No HDD Check HDD.

I have taken the hardisk out on the card its fitted onto and tried to reseat the hardisk on the module it fits onto and connecting it back up.

Still getting the same problem with the Machine. Is there anything else i could try.

I think the internal hardisk has died on the machine because i can still press the source button and select USB1 for my external hardisk and that works without any problems.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a hardisk that will work on the hd2500. Im thinking about replacing the internal drive. But need to confirm first that it is the internal drive thats died or even faulty.

Thanks for any advice

cheers

John

Vectis
17-12-2010, 11:20 AM
How old is the kit?

Even if the Denon's out of warranty, the HDD may not be - most manufacturers give 5 year guarantees depending on model.

I've had a couple of failures in external caddies and such like before now, contacted the manufacturer and had a replacement whizzed out after jumping through a couple of hoops... no questions asked, instructed to bin the old one.

Last time I did this I had a 250GB 3.5" WD drive replaced with a 1TB!

Twinspin
17-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Ive had the hd2500 about 3 years.

The hardisk thats inside the hd2500 is a Fujitsu Siemens hardisk (40gb) I never took the installed original hardisk out.

But i could have a word with the manufacturer to see if there is anything they could do. At the minute im going to look at getting the hd2500 sorted out. If i can get that sorted i wont need to replace anything.

If i am to replace the hd2500 completely I have budgeted for either a Denon HC4500 or on the shortlist a Pioneer MEP7000. I will spend whatever it costs for a good quality machine.

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't really know why you are that worried John - you told me you use an external drive, so what's the problem?

WWDJ
17-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Ive had the hd2500 about 3 years.

The hardisk thats inside the hd2500 is a Fujitsu Siemens hardisk (40gb) I never took the installed original hardisk out.

But i could have a word with the manufacturer to see if there is anything they could do. At the minute im going to look at getting the hd2500 sorted out. If i can get that sorted i wont need to replace anything.

If i am to replace the hd2500 completely I have budgeted for either a Denon HC4500 or on the shortlist a Pioneer MEP7000. I will spend whatever it costs for a good quality machine.

Purpose built laptop with an SSD ?

The HC4500 is just a midi controller so you would need a laptop anyhow. That's the way most of the manufacturers are going now. The HD controller market is pretty much dead IMO.

Twinspin
17-12-2010, 01:25 PM
You could say ive lost confidence in the hd2500 at the moment because its the 2nd time ive had the no hdd error come up.

When something even as little as an external hardisk goes wrong. I do get extremely worried and feel uneasy about it. If it is the internal hardisk thats going to save me a few hundred because i can get a seagate 160gb for £45.

Ive got a decent laptop that i bought 2 weeks ago from Makro. I bought a Sony Vaio if i went for the HC4500 and id run a restore on that laptop and use that solely as a gig machine.

Excalibur
17-12-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't really know why you are that worried John - you told me you use an external drive, so what's the problem?
Probably the occasion when it failed to boot from either drive. If you could simply remove the internal drive, and run off an external, then I'd say that was one possible solution. I'm not sure that's possible, or that it's a particularly good idea, but anything that makes it work has to be a step forward.

You could say ive lost confidence in the hd2500 at the moment because its the 2nd time ive had the no hdd error come up.

When something even as little as an external hardisk goes wrong. I do get extremely worried and feel uneasy about it. If it is the internal hardisk thats going to save me a few hundred because i can get a seagate 160gb for £45.Ive got a decent laptop that i bought 2 weeks ago from Makro. I bought a Sony Vaio if i went for the HC4500 and id run a restore on that laptop and use that solely as a gig machine.

There is a maximum size you can use, I think 160Gb is the limit, isn't it? :confused:

CRAZY K
17-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Im currently having problems with my hd2500. When i switch it on it verifies the database and then comes up with

No HDD Check HDD.

I have taken the hardisk out on the card its fitted onto and tried to reseat the hardisk on the module it fits onto and connecting it back up.

Still getting the same problem with the Machine. Is there anything else i could try.

I think the internal hardisk has died on the machine because i can still press the source button and select USB1 for my external hardisk and that works without any problems.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a hardisk that will work on the hd2500. Im thinking about replacing the internal drive. But need to confirm first that it is the internal drive thats died or even faulty.

Thanks for any advice

cheers

John

I think you need to rewind here John and get back to basics.

You are out of warranty maybe--but dont forget Consumer Direct and your rights under Legislation relating to "fit for intended purpose"

Sounds like this machine is not--so you have rights against the Retailer if still in business.

Its old Sale of Goods Act scenario and electrical items can be up to 6 years old and still be unfit.

Heres a link speak to them--http://whatconsumer.co.uk/it-is-not-fit-for-purpose/

before you chuck the Denon in the Yorkshire Ouse :D :D :D

yourdj
17-12-2010, 05:23 PM
not this again.

I had the same problems and lots of others.

bloody moving parts.

its the cold, condensation. Or a software/connection issue. :)

Twinspin
18-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Ive used the hd2500 tonight but on the external hardisk. But the check HDD error is still popping up.

So i havent had to resort to backup but i had a cd in my cd player at the ready.

Ive connected it up to my laptop with a usb cable and gone to source and pc it shows the drive but it says it needs formatting.

so i tried using util mode initialisation and then format and it wouldnt format the drive.

Excalibur
18-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Ive used the hd2500 tonight but on the external hardisk. But the check HDD error is still popping up.

So i havent had to resort to backup but i had a cd in my cd player at the ready.

Ive connected it up to my laptop with a usb cable and gone to source and pc it shows the drive but it says it needs formatting.

so i tried using util mode initialisation and then format and it wouldnt format the drive.

I'm no computer genius but it sounds to me like your drive is fubarred. :(

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm no computer genius but it sounds to me like your drive is fubarred. :(

Which makes no difference to John whatsoever as he doesn't use the internal drive.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Excalibur
18-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Which makes no difference to John whatsoever as he doesn't use the internal drive.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Not if you can answer me this one. Will a 2500 function, with no HDD installed internally, or does it boot from that? On one occasion, John had a total failure from both drives, which may not have been a connection problem. It did however render the 2500 effectively useless for the evening, and I suspect that a repetition of this scenario is what John is trying to avoid.

Solitaire Events Ltd
18-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Will a 2500 function, with no HDD installed internally, or does it boot from that?

It will work without an internal drive, yes.

And no it doesn't boot from the drive - it has separate firmware.

Excalibur
18-12-2010, 01:36 PM
It will work without an internal drive, yes.

And no it doesn't boot from the drive - it has separate firmware.

Aha. In that case Darren, I thank you for that information, and I agree with you that the lack of internal drive availability should be of no consequence whatsoever.

Edit: I must add that I am still perplexed as to why the unit failed to read from the external drive on one occasion. I wonder if the possibility that it might happen again is causing John some disquiet? How likely it is to occur again, I have no idea at all.

Twinspin
18-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Edit: I must add that I am still perplexed as to why the unit failed to read from the external drive on one occasion. I wonder if the possibility that it might happen again is causing John some disquiet? How likely it is to occur again, I have no idea at all.

It definetely is up to now ive lost confidence in the hd2500 at the moment
and im panicing incase anything else goes wrong with the unit.

I know i have backup working with cd but its out of my comfort zone not been able to find what im looking for as easy as what i can on the hd2500

At the moment i have these options.

1. Continue using the hd2500 and the dnd4000 as backup

2. buy a hc4500 and use my vaio laptop and buy virtual dj 7 get the hd2500 fixed and use that as backup.

3. Go for the Pioneer MEP7000 after christmas and use a hd2500 or dnd4000 as backup.

Excalibur
18-12-2010, 02:29 PM
It definetely is up to now ive lost confidence in the hd2500 at the moment

I know i have backup working with cd but its out of my comfort zone not been able to find what im looking for as easy as what i can on the hd2500

At the moment i have these options.

1. Continue using the hd2500 and the dnd4000 as backup

2. buy a hc4500 and use my vaio laptop and buy virtual dj 7 get the hd2500 fixed and use that as backup.

3. Go for the Pioneer MEP7000 after christmas and use a hd2500 or dnd4000 as backup.

4. Cross Excalibur's palm with silver, and upgrade to a Cortex. :D :D

Twinspin
18-12-2010, 02:44 PM
4. Cross Excalibur's palm with silver, and upgrade to a Cortex. :D :D

damn this is gonna dint my Nexo fund tin. :eek: :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-12-2010, 01:56 PM
...or do nothing and stop making excuses to spend money!

yourdj
19-12-2010, 02:11 PM

I have a four hour set in four segments on ipod which is a cheap reliable source of back up incase
I have to leave the party for some reason. Its exactly what I would play normally. That would do the job.

i would like to see when someone comes up for a request though :D

failing that itunes on 8 second blend - drag and drop tracks to suit.

Excalibur
19-12-2010, 02:42 PM
...or do nothing and stop making excuses to spend money!
:zip: :D :D :D :D

I have a four hour set in four segments on ipod which is a cheap reliable source of back up incase
I have to leave the party for some reason. Its exactly what I would play normally. That would do the job.

i would like to see when someone comes up for a request though :D

failing that itunes on 8 second blend - drag and drop tracks to suit.

I'd expect that to be about the fourth or fifth line of backup. ;) :D :D Somewhere after the second HDC, and the laptop.

Fullforceeventsltd
22-12-2010, 09:40 AM
John, there is some useful info on the Denon Forums regarding this problem, plus info on replacing the internal hard drive if needed.

Found this info below

I find that the question of the No HDD Check HDD, is a question about the format of the HD, I don't know how but when you connect the HD2500 to some mixers the Hard Drive lose the format and can't read the content. The solution to this is simple but was not easy to find. Soo to all of that people that have this quiestion:

You need a computer with the Denon Music Manager installed in this PC and a cable to connect the PC with the HD2500.

*Important*: This works in PC's with Windows Vista or Seven ONLY!!!

1- Turn ON the DN-HD2500 and wait for the message that says "No HDD, Check HDD"
2- Connect the DN-HD2500 to the PC and put the HD as a Externarl drive, like when your are triying to tranfer the music from the PC

3- Open the Denon Music Manager and
select the Drive that is the DN-HD2500 (note that the program won't reconize the Database)
4- Select the Opcion Create a New Database and do all the things that the program says

*Important*: If the Denon Music Manager give you an ERROR, follow this *NEW Important* steps:

*NEW Important 1*: When you connect the HD to the PC, you have to do the Checking and Fixing Process that the Windows tells you. If you connect the HD to the PC and the Windows don't tell you anything about this, you have to disconnect the HD from the computer unsafely, "without the safely remove hardware in the Windows".

*NEW Important 2*: After the Checking and Fixing Process in the PC, "Remove Safely The HD From The PC" but don't turn OFF the HD2500 (Just Safely Remove Hardware from Windows) and Connect Again the HD2500 to the PC and follow steps 2, 3 and 4.

*NEW Important 3*: If again the Denon Music Manager give you and error again, close the program, safely remove the HD and again follow the steps 2, 3 and 4 "without the *NEW Important* Steps".

5- Safely Remove Hardware (Stop Device in the PC)
6- Disconnect USB Cable
7- Power OFF DN-HD2500
8- Turn ON DN-HD2500 and wait for verify the database and for the message "Ready"
9- Press the Botton -Util for few seconds until HD goes to Utility Options
10- Go to Initialization and press the Jog
11- Go to Format press the Jog, select HDD and press the Jog again
12- Wait a few seconds until the HD says DONE
13- Connect the HD to the PC again, put the HD as a External Drive and Open the Denon Music Manager
14- Transfer your music,
15 Thats All. Its Done.

I used 3 DN-HD2500 with the same question and this solution works but i think that no all the No HDD questions are because of this. Like i just say before this is one solution but not the only one.

Excalibur
22-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Nice one there Steve, well worth a try.

Fullforceeventsltd
22-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Lots of other tips about the internal hard drive on the forum including posts about users replacing the internal drive with solid state drives etc.

Seems a very common problem mainly due to transportation, vibration, cold, condensation, dampness, temperature changes etc.. All resulting in internal hard drive faults in one way or another.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the internal ribbon cable has been known to come loose - creating internal hd problems. Just a matter of process elimination before saying the internal drive is knackered and needs replacing.

John, did you get your Denon sorted?? I had a few issues with mine over weekend.

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 07:56 AM
John, did you get your Denon sorted?? I had a few issues with mine over weekend.

Hmmmmm. Suddenly, a Cortex with a DDS drive unit below is looking like a bulletproof solution. I've never had a Cortex fail to find a compatible HD. :whistle: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 08:03 AM
I think my issues was due to cold/dampness as I left my playout system on my cold lock up overnight. I usually take it home.

The player kept freezing and stopping. Once it warmed up after about 30 mins it was ok and was fine for rest of night.

Excalibur
11-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I think my issues was due to cold/dampness as I left my playout system on my cold lock up overnight. I usually take it home.

The player kept freezing and stopping. Once it warmed up after about 30 mins it was ok and was fine for rest of night.

Cortex has been tested to -15C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D Very very slow to boot up, and the display is pedestrian for a while, but gets up to speed in a couple of minutes.

Other than extremes of temperature, I've had absolutely no issues with Cortex being stored outside.

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
That's interesting. When I've had a look through the denon forums it seems a lot of people have had issues with the 2500 after storing in cold and damp conditions.

soundscapes
11-02-2011, 09:41 AM
And Johns storage area is certainly cold and damp. Might be worth storing the denon indoors in future, either that or insulate the garage and lift everything off the floor

Fullforceeventsltd
11-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah. My player has been fine until I stored it overnight on cold lock
up floor. I think that was the cause of my one having a mad half hour at the weekend.