PDA

View Full Version : Abstract lighting

Get Me A DJ
22-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi all,
I've been having a talk with a few of the guys on the site and just wondered what your thoughts about Abstract starting out in the DJ lighting industry again.
Should Abstract start up or should it leave it to the Chinese?
If you do want Abstract to start again, what would you like them to produce (or reproduce).

Put your comments on here, as I'm just interested in what you guys think to a great British manufacturer of disco lights.

DJ Tony McQue
23-12-2010, 03:00 AM
I think it is a real shame they pulled out of this market, they only seem to be producing led strips for shops now. I would love to buy an LED version of the twister 4hp although i would settle for just the original if i could find a pair in decent condition.

Daryll
23-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Good idea.
there was a thread over on Ian`s site about what the ideal DJ light , and what people wanted.

Simple DMX , selected from dip switches , ie slow for first dances , etc.
Maybe a SD card that could be programmed from a PC/mac , for different sequences

Interchangeable gobo`s/colours on a slip in cartridge.
Now there's an idea for Abstract to look at.

Daryll

TONYTIGER
23-12-2010, 08:34 AM
I just wonder if Abstract came back to the market place would it be made in the UK i very much doubt it.
There VRX scanner range was so unreliable so anything would be a improvement.

Ecstatic Events
23-12-2010, 10:47 AM
My whole rig is Old School Abstract, I'd love to see them have a market share in L.E.D :)

Get Me A DJ
23-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I just wonder if Abstract came back to the market place would it be made in the UK i very much doubt it.
There VRX scanner range was so unreliable so anything would be a improvement.

I find that strange you mention about the VRX's, as we have 10 of them and (touch wood) they have not let us down.

Corabar Steve
23-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Could somebody please tell me how any of this qualifies as a review?

Get Me A DJ
23-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Could somebody please tell me how any of this qualifies as a review?

Steve, if you feel that this is not in the correct area then move it to a new home.
I thought that this would be the best area to put this in, considering that we are "reviewing" whether Abstract should go back in the DJ lighting again

TONYTIGER
23-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I find that strange you mention about the VRX's, as we have 10 of them and (touch wood) they have not let us down.

Lucky you, so many non workers come in for repair ,cant give them away on ebay.

flatliners
23-12-2010, 07:30 PM
A 60w led moon flower would be nice

Ecstatic Events
23-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Lucky you, so many non workers come in for repair ,cant give them away on ebay.

You could give them away to me :)

Twinspin
24-12-2010, 01:04 AM
I had an abstract light show. One thing for sure id never buy another.

I've had

old version of the twister 3 (100w)
abstract wildstar

those lights were fine

then i went for twister 4hps and extreme dj xp2s bright lights but they got too hot.

i had one of my twister 4hps died i replaced with a brand new unit from abstract which cost me £230 and it wouldn't link with the other twister 4hp

they had sold me a dodgy unit and wouldnt replace or repair it unless i paid for it.

So after past experiences with them never again.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I like the products...but the company (as with Twinspin) has put me off ever dealing with them again.

Twinspin
24-12-2010, 02:26 AM
a bit off topic though now. I bought some Martin MX-1s off my mate because i got sick of the XP2s because in the end i had 2 units fail and the martin scanners are oldish now and they units have never needed much maintenance only a bit of Mr muscle window cleaner every month or two and a brush just to give it a clean

Lamp holders - Never had to replace any in 3 years on the Martin Gear lamps
up to now the last time I changed a lamp in just one of these units was last September other 3 lamps before then even.

efx500 had that since november 2008 and not had to change a lampholder
or lamp yet in this unit.

the twister 4hps & xp2's (2 months for a lamp-holder 1 month for a lamp)

the abstracts were cleaned out a lot with the same treatment and I've always used the red Philips Broadway lamps not the blue focus-line ones)

sorry i'm off topic but thats been the difference with my lighting units. No bull, no exageration just for the record of this post.

Get Me A DJ
24-12-2010, 02:34 AM
We are all entitled to our comments John :)
Strange that you had problems with the units though.
I know in the very early days of Abstract, they had major problems with over heating, but I always thought this was sorted. How wrong was I apparently.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-12-2010, 03:00 AM
I could retype Johns comments almost word for word with regards to issues i had with them...although I never had an issue with the Twister 2's i had :o

Twinspin
24-12-2010, 03:56 AM
the old abstract lighting i had was alright the twister 3 mkII
and the wildstar they were alright

but if you design a 250w halogen lighting effect then why cant the manufacturer sort the ventilation and cooling out its a powerful lamp and course its going to get mighty hot so it needs the right cooling and enough ventilation.

TONYTIGER
24-12-2010, 08:43 AM
As we have gone slightly off topic re reliability of certain makes of lighting.
As a rental house the lights we hire out really have to be bomb proof the hirer will not look after them like members on here they really get abused and that is why i said Abstract not great i need lights that work week in week out with little maintenance and Abstract never stood up to the rigours of hire.

Over many years i have through my own mistakes and at a cost found the following brands to be the most reliable and will stand up to the rigours of hire,and for effect lighting the bulk of our hire stock comes from three manufacturers.

Clay Paky, Genius,Robe worth noting two made in Italy and one Czech Republic.
Yes there are a few others like Opti and Martin that are worth a mention.

As for Led units most from China which have been re badged but they are cheap so only need a short period of hire to return initial cost then can be scrapped.

Daryll
24-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Been using a pair of Abstract Twister 4`s (iec) , apart from the fact one unit lags a few seconds behind the other , i`ve had no problems. but they do run a tad warm :)

Daryll

Twinspin
24-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I am very particular with lights as well.

I use Martin now and i definitely wont be ever switching to anything cheaper. I know what kind of quality and reliability I'm going to get buying Martin.

in the future i fancy a pair of the Mania SCX700 or the MX-10 or a couple of wizzard extremes. when funds allow.

Get Me A DJ
24-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Guys, I hate to spoil the party here, but aren't we going off subject here a little bit.
We are talking about Abstract the lighting company and what you would like to see from them in the future if they did decide to go back into the DJ lighting game.
Thanks to the others, for there input.
I personally think that an LED twister 4 with the original casing would be a good move as there would not be a problem with over heating due to the lamp being LED.
What do you lot think?

Dynamic Entertainment
25-12-2010, 12:24 AM
If they can fix their issues with products...and improve their customer services...then maybe!

Get Me A DJ
25-12-2010, 12:42 AM
If they can fix their issues with products...and improve their customer services...then maybe!

When you say issues, do you mean the overheating problem on the earlier units?
As regards customer service, this has been a bit of a problem of late, especially with spares. Lectrix is ok, but I'd prefer to go direct to get stuff.
It seems they just don't care about us jocks any more

Dynamic Entertainment
25-12-2010, 12:46 AM
When you say issues, do you mean the overheating problem on the earlier units?
As regards customer service, this has been a bit of a problem of late, especially with spares. Lectrix is ok, but I'd prefer to go direct to get stuff.
It seams they just don't care about us jocks any more

To be fair...from what I recall...they never did care about us jocks in the first place.

getting any support out of them was like blood and stone....

Twinspin
25-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Definetely wouldnt buy from them again. No matter what they bring out. They sold me a dodgy twister4hp within days of me getting them i reported the problem with the dmx board and checked both units with someone elses and the problem was the new unit.

dmx board on it wouldnt respond they hadnt changed their dmx system and then told me i was going to have to buy a new dmx board for it. I dont think so.

We are talking about Abstract the lighting company and what you would like to see from them in the future

to stay under the rock they crawled under. Sorry Kev no dis-respect to you.
as you will know i dont mean any.

Get Me A DJ
26-12-2010, 10:54 PM
to stay under the rock they crawled under. Sorry Kev no dis-respect to you.
as you will know i dont mean any.

You haven't dis-respected me at all John, just a shame that they would not do a swop out on the board.
Without sounding as if your a liar, are you sure that they told you in no uncertain terms that you have to buy another unit, as if this the case then they where in breach of the sales of goods act.
Also, I can't understand why they did not refer you to the lads at Tega, as they carry spare boards for Abstract.
All very strange.

So, looking at the amount of views to this post, I'm surprised by the amount of people responding.
This is NOT a request from Abstract, more of a bit of research for me as regards what people really thought of the equipment and the service of this company.
If you do have comments, and don't want to put them on the board, please feel free to post them in a PM to me.