PDA

View Full Version : soundcard

hammy
23-12-2010, 11:01 AM
i am just starting to go the digital route and reading about having to use an external soundcard,i have an xfi surround card which cost me £50 when i bought it it has a left and right and center channel and goes in by usb here is a link http://uk.store.creative.com/products/product.aspx?catid=1&pid=20055&nav= can anyone say if this is gonna be good????

DB Entertainments
23-12-2010, 11:04 AM
You don't want that for Djing mate, its a 5.1 card for starters.

If I were you I'd get a good 'Midi Mixer with a built in soundcard - something like the Numark Omni Control is only £220.

http://www.djstore.com/item/numomni.htm?affid=froogle

DeckstarDeluxe
23-12-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR227953

is what I use.

As yours is a 5.1 not really sure thats going to work well. I would imagine it wouldnt make much difference but dont quote me on that.

DB Entertainments
23-12-2010, 11:09 AM
the 'DJ IO' is built into the Numark Onmi Control - Hence why I'd recommend it - you will have your sound sorted and full control over your music with the mixer/Controller and you only have the 1 USB lead to set up and worry about.

hammy
23-12-2010, 11:11 AM
cheers guys i didnt think it would work.
next question is that it sounds fine without an external soundcard but then thats at low volume indoors and the mixer is a Tascam X15

Excalibur
23-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm with Deckstar on his praise of the IO, I have one and it's excellent, and simple to use.

As for midi controllers, well I have no idea whatsoever. :o :confused:

DB Entertainments
23-12-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm with Deckstar on his praise of the IO, I have one and it's excellent, and simple to use.

... and its also built into the Omni Controller :)

Daryll
23-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Just to put the feline in the Aviary :D

Before I got the denon 4500 , My sound card was the xfi surround card , and is still my back up.
I never had a problem with it , it may not be built as a DJ sound card , but then again nor is a laptop built for DJ use.

Daryll

DeckstarDeluxe
23-12-2010, 11:17 AM
as for Midi controllers I would have a look in your local store if possible as there are a few choices

Mine is the ADJ one http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR277418 as I tried some others like the one Daley has linked to and I couldnt get on with it personally.

Dynamic Entertainment
23-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Do not get a soundcard thats built into a mixer, unless you know fine well that you will be using that exact micer for each and every gig!

I know DJs who have gone down the "built in" route, only to be asked to do pub gigs at a later date and theyve had to buy an extra soundcard.

Its no hassle having the soundcard externally and leaving it permanantly wired into your console, and you can remove it if necessary. Also, if the mixer goes :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: up, the soundcards fine, and vice versa ;)

Edit....i can say arse, but cant say the T word for boobs.... :confused:

Excalibur
23-12-2010, 11:19 AM
... and its also built into the Omni Controller :)

Duly noted, as it was also noted when you said it in in post #4. ;) ;)

Like I said, I can recommend the card, as I have experience of it. I can say nothing about controllers, as I have never used one.

hammy
23-12-2010, 11:22 AM
wow these forums are busy just what i need lol

andyw
23-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Duly noted, as it was also noted when you said it in in post #4. ;) ;)

Like I said, I can recommend the card, as I have experience of it. I can say nothing about controllers, as I have never used one.

don't let not having used/knowing nothing about the product, as an excuse not to comment on it, i haven't seen max post recently and we need someone to take his place:) :)
how easy is that soundcard to set up (bear in mind, i am more stupid in real life then i am on here):daft: :muppet:

hammy
23-12-2010, 11:25 AM
how easy is that soundcard to set up (bear in mind, i am more stupid in real life then i am on here):daft: :muppet:

takes 2 mins

andyw
23-12-2010, 11:28 AM
takes 2 mins

and a lifetime to someone like me:) looks like i will be getting that one after the xmas period settles down.

TONYTIGER
23-12-2010, 11:51 AM
You cant go wrong with the Maya 44 USB external card simple to use just usb in to lappy and 4 analog out and in on phonos can be used as you grow your system.

Excalibur
23-12-2010, 12:18 PM

It is indeed a doddle. ;) User friendly, just follow the on screen instructions and logic.

You cant go wrong with the Maya 44 USB external card simple to use just usb in to lappy and 4 analog out and in on phonos can be used as you grow your system.

Undeniably true, except for one thing, which many users will not have a problem with.

I got a Maya, and an excelllent card it is too. Sadly, it won't work with Media Monkey, which is not a DJ system, but is important to me. I passed it on to another forum member, and eventually replaced with the splendid IO.

Corabar Entertainment
23-12-2010, 12:54 PM
wow these forums are busy just what i need lol
Oh yes! We don't generally let the grass grow too long around here! :p

Jonathan Ford
23-12-2010, 01:23 PM
+ 1 for the DJIO from me.....but I have nothing to compare it to. It's really simple, and hasn't caused any bother whatsoever.

andyw
23-12-2010, 02:23 PM
It is indeed a doddle. ;) User friendly, just follow the on screen instructions and logic.

thank you, you obviously don't follow my post's on here because what you suggested involves reading and logic, I got no chance then:)

hammy
24-12-2010, 02:44 PM
well if its any consollation i am updating the thread to let you all know i plugged it in and it works luuurvely

hammy
24-12-2010, 02:45 PM
and im gonna add a spam post just to get me off of 13 posts,not being supersticious or any thing as im not coz i was told it was bad luck to be supersticious

Corabar Entertainment
24-12-2010, 02:53 PM
:lol:

Get Me A DJ
24-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I use the sound blaster Audigy PCMCIA sound card (no longer available :( ) and it's great.
I've had it for over 3 years, it's still going strong and never misses a beat.

You watch now, I'll take it out on the next gig and it'll let me down :(