PDA

View Full Version : Bose

LeapCreative
10-08-2006, 03:19 PM
After reading the other Bose thread in this forum, i was just wondering how many (if any) of you use Bose sound systems of any type?

Personally, ive always thought that getting a Bose system was a sign that you've done pretty well. I know that the speakers are stunning on performance, but are they really worth the money?

Comments appreciated :)

BeerFunk
10-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe I've got this wrong, but I associate Bose with top-end Hi-fi sound rather than PA

LeapCreative
10-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi-fi is also very good, but some of the Pro Bose range (i.e. 802's etc) are PA based. The kind of speakers you see fairly often in holiday camps etc.

Fairly pricey, but well worth the money, and good for on the road.

Ricesnaps
10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi-fi is also very good, but some of the Pro Bose range (i.e. 802's etc) are PA based. The kind of speakers you see fairly often in holiday camps etc.

Fairly pricey, but well worth the money, and good for on the road.
Bose have a huge reputation for PA kit and as it seems they are back with a loud bang! Many years ago, back in the early 90's, the 802's were THE speakers to have and far far better than most of the rest. I used to work with an ex BBC sound engineer who ran his own PA company - theatres, bands, etc... and the Bose gear was the only thing he would take out. I guess things have changed lately and maybe the 802's aren't quite as cutting edge, but I read good things about the new pro stuff they have out.

Haven't had the chance to see or hear it and to be honest, it does seem somewhat quirky, but then I've always seen Bose as the Citroen of the PA world

A1DL
10-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Bose 802s have long been an industry standard high quality PA speaker, often specified by clients for conferences, indoor events, exhibitions etc

I wouldn't recommend them for outdoor PA though, as they're not long throw.
We usually use 4 or 6 No. JBL M330 12" cabs, in pairs, for long throw outdoor coverage. These boxes provide excellent dispertion and coverage, high quality background music and crystal clear vocals.

Paul James Promotions
10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I now have only 1 pair of 802's with controller, an Acoustimass system in my room and a pair of their headphones.

Recently sold 3 pairs of 802s and a pair of 402s. Decided to sell them after I received my small Void system, and after using 4 x 802s and a pair of large subs, the Void was better in both quality and output, especially in HF.

The 802s are only useful for very small shows or conference work (vocal / background only). Looking to sell the final pair of 802s soon.

Paul James Promotions
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Personally, ive always thought that getting a Bose system was a sign that you've done pretty well.

Not at all. There are many other systems on the market which will cost you a lot more than a Bose system e.g. Nexo PS10.

LeapCreative
10-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Not at all. There are many other systems on the market which will cost you a lot more than a Bose system e.g. Nexo PS10.

Agree entirely, although my knowledge of Bose systems is from way back when they were the most popular you could buy. I haven't heard much from them since, and was seeing if anyone else had.

On a side note Jamie, give me a shout if you're getting rid of that other pair of 802's. Ill give you a good price for them to use for wedding speeches etc.

Lee

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
You all must of heard of the Bose PAS currently being discussed on every other forum?

BeerFunk
10-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Agree entirely, although my knowledge of Bose systems is from way back when they were the most popular you could buy. I haven't heard much from them since, and was seeing if anyone else had.

On a side note Jamie, give me a shout if you're getting rid of that other pair of 802's. Ill give you a good price for them to use for wedding speeches etc.

Lee
You would use a set of speakers just for speeches?! :omg:

Corabar Steve
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
You all must of heard of the Bose PAS currently being discussed on every other forum?
L1 actually :teeth:

Paul James Promotions
10-08-2006, 06:22 PM
From their website: "Output: rock concert levels can be achieved if desired on stage and in an audience of several hundred"

Yeah right :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2006, 06:35 PM
You would use a set of speakers just for speeches?! :omg:

Yeah.

I've just bought a system specifically for that.

Why are you so surprised?

Paul James Promotions
10-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah.

I've just bought a system specifically for that.

Why are you so surprised?

He must assume that Shockwave meant taking two sets of speakers to normal shows, where he probrably means a set of speakers as part of a seperate PA hire service.

Shaun
10-08-2006, 06:49 PM
L1 actually :teeth:

The L1 is the stick and the b2? are the bass bins.....which makes up the Bose Pas package, no?

BeerFunk
10-08-2006, 07:14 PM
So you're saying you use a seperate PA system for speeches? Is that not, a little, crazy?!

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-08-2006, 08:09 PM
So you're saying you use a seperate PA system for speeches? Is that not, a little, crazy?!

If you have your gear set up for the disco too, then yes. If you're doing PA hire for speeches and background music then no.

LeapCreative
10-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Well, theres two situations i find myself in fairly often:

1. The speeches at a wedding take place in a dining room, seperate from where the mobile disco would be setup. A simple PA system (one amp, two speakers, couple of stands and a mic) can be less effort to setup than running a load of wires through from another room and crossing fingers that the radio mics dont cut out. (p.s. as i have a day job as well, i sometimes have to setup early morning or the night before, so this way i dont have to change equipment round.

2. We do get asked for P.A hire a lot, usually when in a marquee, and due to the ruggedness of the 802's, they'd probobly be quite suibtable. Also, they're quite low profile and look a lot more discreet compared to a couple of 15" cabs at either end of the room.

But no, i dont tend to spend money on very pricey 802's for no good reason lol ;-)

Eskie
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
The L1 is the stick and the b2? are the bass bins.....which makes up the Bose Pas package, no?
Correct. An L1 package consists of 1 L1 stick + 2 B1 Bass Bins. A "Double Package" gives you symmetry, stereo and redundancy cover :)

Corabar Steve
11-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Correct. An L1 package consists of 1 L1 stick + 2 B1 Bass Bins. That was what I was about to say :teeth:

Have a disco
11-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Bose went very quiet in the 90's as they were aiming for room based/venue based systems rather than external PA systems due to the amount of competition hence the reason you find so many at places like hotels or even large pubs groups within the likes of spirit group or even Yates. Now they are coming back with a vengence I here

leighinstoke
12-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Bose, as said, are good for conference work - superb sound and look the part. I saw a guy DJing with 802s WITHOUT the system controller and it sounded awful. I asked why he didnt have it in circuit and he said he wrecked it as he liked to push his system.

From the sound of the PA, he was soon to wreck his 802s as well!

Used to use them myself for conference and to fill spaces in large rooms - but with an EV system at the front of the room.

Leigh....

Alex - Cream Ents
12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Christ never use 802s without the controller....as previously stated the 802s were good in their day, and the theatre hire / install co I used to work for swore by them. They have of course been surpassed by many other boxes to date, but remain, in my eyes a versatile and good "all round" speaker.

Not heard the PAS system as yet, interested to see what it's like...

leighinstoke
12-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Al, think if someone offered me a Bose 802 rig with a sub (can't remember the number), I'd happily have it for small jobs as I could do with a really simple system to go alongside my bigger rig.

People forget that the 802s are only rated around 100watts, 150 at the most - and wonder why the hell they go fizz or the fuses pop in them.

Leigh....

gillo
12-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Al, think if someone offered me a Bose 802 rig with a sub (can't remember the number), I'd happily have it for small jobs as I could do with a really simple system to go alongside my bigger rig.

People forget that the 802s are only rated around 100watts, 150 at the most - and wonder why the hell they go fizz or the fuses pop in them.

Leigh....

i thought they were rated at 240 watts:)

Paul James Promotions
12-08-2006, 11:40 PM
i thought they were rated at 240 watts:)

They are :teeth:

They are very inefficient, so it's best to run them with around 500 watts per cabinet, and keep the amp out of 'clip'.

The 302 cabinet was the best bass unit to use with the 802s.

Harrison's Discos
04-09-2006, 08:16 PM
I really think that bose are generally exellent. If you had enough 802 loudspeakers, surely you must be able to get the 'loud' required sound. Its like any other P.A. system really. If you only have about four or six, then there will obviously be a lack of loudness. If someone doesnt know by the way, there is also a matching subwwofer bin that goes with these 802 louspeakers. :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I really think that bose are generally exellent. If you had enough 802 loudspeakers, surely you must be able to get the 'loud' required sound. Its like any other P.A. system really. If you only have about four or six, then there will obviously be a lack of loudness. If someone doesnt know by the way, there is also a matching subwwofer bin that goes with these 802 louspeakers. :teeth:

It says so on the post above and these have been around for a fair few years...

Twas the system to have back in the day...

DMX Will
04-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Yes but when you run loads of speakers on the same amp channel you run into the problems of ohms (see the ohms and wattage thread). So its not an ideal setup.

Paul James Promotions
04-09-2006, 10:59 PM

True, as Bose say 'if you want a better sound, buy more', but what is the point of having a pair of speakers to do the job of 1 speaker? :teeth:

Harrison's Discos
04-09-2006, 11:12 PM
True, as Bose say 'if you want a better sound, buy more', but what is the point of having a pair of speakers to do the job of 1 speaker? :teeth:

Errr, thats the point of a rig I suppose ;)

Paul James Promotions
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Errr, thats the point of a rig I suppose ;)

I don't see your point. You would rather take 4 speakers to every gig when 2 will do the same job?