PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain (Cortex and Laptop differences)

hammy
27-12-2010, 11:31 AM
ok if you have read my newbie post you will see i am starting over again and this time digital,i have read untold posts from the forums and have seen so much talk of using a usb device such as a Cortex HDC,could some kind person please explain to me the advantage of this over just using laptop and external powered drive,i.e do i still need the laptop (going to be using pcdjvj),basically really need to know how these work,i have been to all the sites that sell them but the description only tells you that you can plug a usb drive into them,how do you find the songs you want etc etc,and please please answers only in laymans terms.I have the chance of buying a new Cortex HDC1000 for £180 is this also good.Do i really need one????????

hammy
27-12-2010, 11:47 AM
and would this in the for sale section(if still for sale) do the same job??? http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30120

Shaun
27-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Hammy,

Both laptops (with DJ Software installed) and digital media players do the same thing (i.e play digital music files from a USB hard drive). The difference is the digital media player (such as a cortex) is built specifically for the job. To search for files using the cortex you can plug in a usb keyboard via a usb hub. It's really that simple. :)

I really couldn't say which is better as different people prefer different things. Perhaps a trip to a DJ equipment retailer would be a good idea so you can see the different options and have a play about. Or perhaps one of the forum members local to you can invite you along for a little demo.

hammy
27-12-2010, 12:14 PM
cheers shaun,so basically with the cortex i wont need the laptop???

Shaun
27-12-2010, 12:15 PM

That's correct. You will however need a device to store your music on, such as a USB Hard Drive. You'll also need a powered USB HUB, and a USB keyboard. The Cortex will then just hook into your mixer via RCA Phono cables. :beer1:

andyw
27-12-2010, 12:17 PM

no you won't need a laptop to run the cortex, before you buy a cortex go and have a play with one if possible, also what backup will you be using

hammy
27-12-2010, 12:20 PM
my back up will be the mini itx(mini pc) i made,

Creature
27-12-2010, 06:23 PM
You'll also need a powered USB HUB

I disagree i have been using the cortex since it come out. and as it has 2 USB interfaces (shared unfortuantly_ just stick your usb harrdrive/memstick/storage device in teh back one and teh usb keyboard in the front.

theres only one annoying fact with the cortex (and seen it happen on dennon & newmark) when using harddrive when one side is playing if you use th einbuild browser the playing side pauses. Not had this issue since i starte dto use teh keyboard as you tend to type in artist or song title. this clitch does not show up if using a mem stick (now availble upto 1 gig and soon beyound) or other non moving internal storage devices.

I now have 2 cortexs and always happy to demo them and will never get rid of em.

only thing is take your time with the mp3 tags ! make sure they are correct

mine are tagged in 4 ways

band, type of music, song title (with band and year) and year.

easy to use - dont know of anyone who actually read teh manual - u can cue behind playing tracks.

I do use a laptop but it is purely a database thing that my roadie will look to see if we have any requests and were they are cd or digital. Also have been known to buy mp3's at gigs for important requests

Shaun
27-12-2010, 08:36 PM
You'll also need a powered USB HUB

I disagree i have been using the cortex since it come out.

I don't use a powered hub either. I thought I would err on the side of caution as so many of our members have run into issues with unpowered hubs.

Creature
27-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't use a powered hub either. I thought I would err on the side of caution as so many of our members have run into issues with unpowered hubs.

Shaun i think we at cross swords here - im saying there already 2 ports so no need for a hub at all. :)

Shaun
27-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Ah, apologies. I misread your post.

Correct. The Cortex has two USB inputs. One on the front and one on the rear.

Still, my preference would be to use a hub and keep all connections via the back, just because I wouldn't want wires dangling around the front. :)

Creature
28-12-2010, 12:55 AM
ok Shuan -- my keyboard cable is routed via convient hooks that i inserted into my flight case when i made it :)

I just like to keep things simple :)

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi Hammy,

I really couldn't say which is better as different people prefer different things. Perhaps a trip to a DJ equipment retailer would be a good idea so you can see the different options and have a play about. Or perhaps one of the forum members local to you can invite you along for a little demo.
Six and two threes. Both do the same job,just in different ways.

Correct.But I use Cortex and laptop. Belt and braces.

I disagree i have been using the cortex since it come out. and as it has 2 USB interfaces (shared unfortuantly_ just stick your usb harrdrive/memstick/storage device in teh back one and teh usb keyboard in the front.

theres only one annoying fact with the cortex (and seen it happen on dennon & newmark) when using harddrive when one side is playing if you use th einbuild browser the playing side pauses. Not had this issue since i starte dto use teh keyboard as you tend to type in artist or song title. this clitch does not show up if using a mem stick (now availble upto 1 gig and soon beyound) or other non moving internal storage devices.

Creature and Shaun, I disagree. Powered hub is essential. Powered hard drive and keyboard feed off the back socket from the hub, leaving the front one free for a USB stick.

Shaun i think we at cross swords here - im saying there already 2 ports so no need for a hub at all. :)
Panto time. " Oh yes there is. " Power everything, use Belkin hubs, and you'll have no problems at all.

The hiccup on searching only occurs if you're using file browser, as far as I know.

Hammy, we're only scratching the surface here, we'll post more later.

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Right, let's see if we can shed some light.

If you expect to use a laptop for DJ'ing, it is ( apparently ) vital to strip it of everything not needed for playing mp3's. In effect, you are changing its purpose in life from being a multi purpose piece of kit, into a dedicated one. That's fine if you don't want to use it for surfing the web, writing documents, playing games etc. If you want to still be able to do all these things, and use it as a main playout, basically you're stuffed.

Cortex/Numark/Denon do only one thing, and that's play mp3's. You will however need a laptop or desktop to create mp3's, so why not have the best of both worlds?

HDC as main playout, with laptop or rackmount as backup/download capability.

hammy
28-12-2010, 06:18 PM
that settles it then hdc it is

Excalibur
28-12-2010, 07:09 PM
that settles it then hdc it is

And get a dongle for the rack mount, use it as backup, and you're sorted. As soon as you've found three wise men near you, with Cortex, Numark and Denon. I'd strongly urge you to find these three, offer to roadie for them, and when they turn their backs, have a firkle round with the kit. :D :D :D :D :D

Each controller operates in a different way, and while using one may seem totally obvious to you, another's mode of operation may be foreign. Try before you buy.

Creature
28-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Each controller operates in a different way, and while using one may seem totally obvious to you, another's mode of operation may be foreign. Try before you buy.

agree 100% Excalibur - shame he not closer to me as more than happy to demo for him - well the cortex anyway. :)

hammy
29-12-2010, 11:36 AM
invalubale info from you guys, i guess if i get the cortex and have a little play with it im sure i will get to love it will keep you updated

Shaun
29-12-2010, 04:20 PM
invalubale info from you guys, i guess if i get the cortex and have a little play with it im sure i will get to love it will keep you updated

I'd definitely recommend having a demo first, if possible.

Excalibur
29-12-2010, 04:22 PM

That's the problem. You will love it, but if you ever decide to "upgrade" to Numark or Denon, you'll have to unlearn using the Cortex.

Anybody on here near enough to Eastbourne to demo their controller of choice?

Andy Goodtimes
31-12-2010, 07:22 AM
The thing I like about the Cortex and other HDCs for that matter is that you still have the set of controlls very much like a traditional twin CD unit. I understand that you can get controllers for PCs but is there really any need to do that because its just another bit of kit, with the Cortex the hub and drive can be mounted inside the rear of flight cases and the keyboard can go on a slide out tray so its all very neat. And...I agree keep the front port clear for a stick or whatever. I use the Denon one but TBH the Cortex would suit me fine, I get a lot of folk amazed wehn they ask for a request and I pull out the keyboard and tell them more or less instantly if I have it and I can have it playing before they are back across the dance floor.

Once you get into the swing of it its easy to use and to keep the drive up to date, but I also agree that tagging and file structure is very important...little things like removing the word the from titles is helpful when searching...therefore "the way you make me feel" becomes "way you make me feel"

Excalibur
31-12-2010, 03:32 PM
The thing I like about the Cortex and other HDCs for that matter is that you still have the set of controlls very much like a traditional twin CD unit. I understand that you can get controllers for PCs but is there really any need to do that because its just another bit of kit, with the Cortex the hub and drive can be mounted inside the rear of flight cases and the keyboard can go on a slide out tray so its all very neat. And...I agree keep the front port clear for a stick or whatever. I use the Denon one but TBH the Cortex would suit me fine, I get a lot of folk amazed wehn they ask for a request and I pull out the keyboard and tell them more or less instantly if I have it and I can have it playing before they are back across the dance floor.

Once you get into the swing of it its easy to use and to keep the drive up to date, but I also agree that tagging and file structure is very important...
Agreed entirely.

little things like removing the word the from titles is helpful when searching...therefore "the way you make me feel" becomes "way you make me feel"

With machines where string search is the default, ( Cortex, and Numark when you hit F1) , that is of little consequence, since "way you make me feel" is enough to find the track.

hammy
06-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Just to update you i bought a cortex hdc1000 off of a member of MDD and now playing with it and defianately gonna use laptop as a just in case,well impressed with the cortex
cheers guys

Larry B Entertainment
06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I have the chance of buying a new Cortex HDC1000 for £180 is this also good.Do i really need one????????

Kam have bought out a unit very similar to the Cortex and costs just over £100. I have seen them for £90 online. Its the KHD2000.

My local DJ shop has them in so I am going to go in and have a go with one.

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Kam have bought out a unit very similar to the Cortex and costs just over £100. I have seen them for £90 online. Its the KHD2000.

My local DJ shop has them in so I am going to go in and have a go with one.

Just had a quick look and there is no search facility which is essential for something like this IMO.

hammy
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
after having a play of the cortex i totally agree with the above

Corabar Entertainment
06-01-2011, 04:05 PM
That's the one that you can't hook a keyboard into, isn't it?

EDIT: Just seen Darren's post :doh:

Andy Goodtimes
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
So does the Denon do this "string search" might appear a daft question as I have used one for years but TBH I aint the most switched on when it comes to all this technical stuff.

Oh...it was me that sold the Cortex...glad you are pleased with it.

hammy
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
lol much appreciated Andy and the wife done the business today:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

Corabar Entertainment
06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
So does the Denon do this "string search"

Yes - F12 on the keyboard to bring it up... not sure which button/knob though! :)

Andy Goodtimes
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Cheers Angela I tend to use the keyboard a lot so will give that a go.

No probs Hammy, sorry I haven't been able to give you that much technical advice but sure you will get loads on here.

hammy
06-01-2011, 07:30 PM
No probs Hammy, sorry I haven't been able to give you that much technical advice but sure you will get loads on here.

No worries Andy im playing with it now and getting the hang of it

Larry B Entertainment
07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Just had a quick look and there is no search facility which is essential for something like this IMO.

Had a go with one this morning and discovered this.
Other than that its not a bad unit but its certainly no match for the Cortex.

Excalibur
07-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Had a go with one this morning and discovered this.
Other than that its not a bad unit but its certainly no match for the Cortex.

Few things are in my humble and oft voiced opinion. ;)

CRAZY K
07-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Few things are in my humble and oft voiced opinion. ;)

As a fully paid up member of the Cortex fan club my only slight problem has been a start button gone slightly sticky which needs a firm PUSH.

My DJ shop is trying to get a replacement--mind you everyone had 2 weeks off for Xmas by the looks of it--except me:eek:

Incidentally I agree with Peter over not worrying about using THE for song titles however suggest take it out for Band names like

THE BEATLES
THE ROLLING STONES

Makes searches less confusing.

ppentertainments
07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
As a fully paid up member of the Cortex fan club my only slight problem has been a start button gone slightly sticky which needs a firm PUSH.

That's a polite way to put it :(
However I believe this is a problem with a lot of systems, and an easy solution would be to use the keyboard to play - just wish I could remember what keys to press.

I do have to stress though, I have had my cortex for 3 1/2 years and it is used at least twice a week (normally more) so it's not doing bad.

CRAZY K
07-01-2011, 09:09 PM
That's a polite way to put it :(
However I believe this is a problem with a lot of systems, and an easy solution would be to use the keyboard to play - just wish I could remember what keys to press.

I do have to stress though, I have had my cortex for 3 1/2 years and it is used at least twice a week (normally more) so it's not doing bad.

Agreed---

its space bar / CTRL by the way ;)