PDA

View Full Version : Netbook as a Backup?

Lauren Fox
28-12-2010, 07:10 AM
i've just seen on a thread on here that someone uses a Netbook as a backup
didn't even consider that
didn't know it was possible!
quite like the idea
does anyone use one?
what type etc?
i have cd players as a backup but it'd be nice to have some extra digital on the go
=]

Dynamic Entertainment
28-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Im a Serato user and have the Asus netbook (the £199 one from comet) as a backup.

Its 1.6ghz processor running XP and comes with 1gb of ram, which ive upgraded to 2gb (thats the max).

Ive found that Serato runs very well on it, the only issue being that Seratos screen resolution is deeper than the netbooks, so i have to scroll down slightly to see the bottom of the program.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
28-12-2010, 09:36 AM
I Take an Elonex Netbook,

Its called a websurfer
1.2 Ghz @ 400 Mhz
Via C& M ulv processor
7 inch widescreen lcd
30 gig hdd
1 gb ram
its running windows xp
and weighs 970 grammes
model cews71

Its been very good and was 100 pounds plus vat from

MACRO

Its got me through a couple of nights
once when the main started stuttering
once when it was too cold to boot!

money well spent

DAVE

Jason
28-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Asus eeePC1001, running Linux (dual booted with the installed XP) with Rhythmbox (media player) as backup.

This does work fine, and is pretty lightweight, with a 200 or so "floor fillers" on an SD Card.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
28-12-2010, 10:18 AM
PIC of the netbook on standby doing Hermans Hermits
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/DAVESOUNDS/DSCF0030.jpg

DAVE

ppentertainments
28-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Shouldn't find any problem with running programs on a netbook, however the main drawback is the size of the screen.

Get Me A DJ
28-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Used one a few times without any problem.
I did a wedding once and forgot the main laptop PSU and the battery died on me, so the little un got me out of a scrape.

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Shouldn't find any problem with running programs on a netbook, however the main drawback is the size of the screen.

There again, if you use a Cortex, D2 or Denon D2500, then it shouldn't really be a problem...

Lauren Fox
28-12-2010, 03:49 PM
thanks alot!
good to know there not too pricey!
ill have to see if you can use virtual dj on one
thatd be handy

Lauren Fox
28-12-2010, 03:55 PM
ive also just seen a Netbook for sale running mac snow leopard
thats interesting
might look into that

i feel im worrying too much about having a backup
ive not even done my first gig yet
im at uni so its difficult to squeeze it in
going to have to start spreading the word
this equipment wont pay for itself!
=]

Dynamic Entertainment
28-12-2010, 03:58 PM
This is the netbook I have

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Netbooks/buy-ASUS-1001PX-BLK102X-Netbook/680214

It ticks all the boxes (as long as your not video mixing, and its advisable to up the RAM to a 2gb chipset) EXCEPT the screen resolution.

VDJ needs 1024x768 as a miimum, but the netbook is 1024x600...so your going to have the same issue as me and have lower part of the screen on a scrolling setup.

yourdj
28-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I did not realize these things run XP I thought they were linux.
Intrigued about the OS x versions.

I did look at the eeee or what ever its called.

Would a 2 gig version run Serato Itch and 1000 tracks?

yourdj
28-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Ive found that Serato runs very well on it

How do you go about changing the Ram? Does it function like any other PC.

Great back up IMO as they are solid state, small and have all the functions of a standard laptop. :)

Dynamic Entertainment
28-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Theres only a single chipset slot, which supports a maximum of 2gb, and its located via a access hatch on the bottom...held in with one small phillips screw...

Its running full XP as standard, so its just like any "proper" laptop.

Im not sure on the requirements for Itch, but it easily runs Serato with a decent sized library.

Dynamic Entertainment
28-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Toby, looking at the various system requirements for Itch (im not sure what hardware your using), it should run perfectly fine...except that you will have the same resolution problems i have.

yourdj
28-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Toby, looking at the various system requirements for Itch (im not sure what hardware your using), it should run perfectly fine...except that you will have the same resolution problems i have.

I was looking at a cheap G4 macbook as i have two powerbooks with me at the moment (giging at the moment - band on) but that would do better I think as one mac book is my girlfriends.

I would love a macbook air but they are pretty pricy. :)

Im using a VCI 300.

Mac

Intel processor, 1.6 GHz or better
1 GB RAM
1024 x 768 screen resolution
OSX 10.4.11 or higher
Available USB Port
Hard disk space for music

Windows XP

Intel* processor, Pentium 4 mobile 2GHz or better
1 GB RAM
Service Pack 2 or higher
Available USB Port

Windows Vista and Windows 7 (32bit & 64bit)

Intel* processor, Core Duo 1.6 GHz or better
1 GB RAM
Service Pack 1 or higher
Available USB Port

Dynamic Entertainment
28-12-2010, 10:16 PM
You may have issues with it as its running Intel Atom, which is quite a nippy processor, at 1.6GHz on Windows XP.

And, like I said, the resolution is 1024x600 on the netbook.

dj keevers
29-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Some of the netbooks allow an external screen to be used so avoiding the resolution problem. Otherwise as a backup they can be a perfect digital alternative

Vectis
29-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Some of the netbooks allow an external screen to be used so avoiding the resolution problem. Otherwise as a backup they can be a perfect digital alternative

Kind of defeats the object of taking a netbook over a full blown laptop though if you have to carry around a second monitor and a bunch of leads :p

My experiences with Atom-based kit have been good, with the OTS product range.

Get Me A DJ
29-12-2010, 10:47 AM
thanks alot!
good to know there not too pricey!
ill have to see if you can use virtual dj on one
thatd be handy

Yes they can, I've got a Samsung and it's running it just fine :D
Just remember to load up the memory to the max.

yourdj
01-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Just bought this. £110.

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/acer-aspire-one-blue-side.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180605505944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

If I upgrade to 1.5 gig it should be OK with Serato as its not very CPU hungry.
It will just have DJ software and music on as well with windows 7 if thats possible?

was looking at the Samsungs but they were going for £50-70 more. :(
This got some excellent reviews for its compact design and ability to just work well!
Shame about the smaller screen though. Three USB which is a bonus.

I am thinking of using it for lighting control possibly as well?

This should do. I will probably load it with VDJ or as vectis said OTS :D

Get Me A DJ
02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice net book for the price.
As mentioned previous, VDJ will run happily on it as a play out system, but it struggles with video (well my Samsung NC10 does)

Good look having a play with it.

Twinspin
02-01-2011, 02:48 PM
The acer aspire one netbooks have got a habit of dying. (Screen goes blank when the power is switched on) fixed by flashing the bios on it.

I won one in a competition and the battery didnt last five minutes. The best netbooks so far in my experience ive come across are the samsung ones. I havent got a samsung one though but i have played with one.

Personally i wouldnt use a netbook because of the screen size. But ive got 4x full size laptops.

1x Acer Aspire laptop (AMD Duron) 512 ram (60gb hdd)

1x Acer Aspire One netbook (Intel Atom with 1gb ram) <--- not full size of course

1x Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 156 Laptop (Intel Pentium Dual core 2.2ghz, 2gb Ram, 80gb hdd

1x Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 1G8 Laptop (Intel Pentium Dual core 2.2ghz 4gb ram 160gb hdd

1x Sony Vaio VPCEE2E1E laptop AMD Athlon Dual Core P320 3gb ram, 320gb hdd and ATI Radeon graphics.

i collect laptops for a living it sounds like lol

but im spoilt for choice in terms of backup.

Twinspin
02-01-2011, 04:06 PM
anyone wanna borrow a laptop :D :p

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l264/Twinspindj/100_0307.jpg

apart from the browny coloured toshiba and the vaio (I use them :p ) They are all my laptops because i upgrade my laptop every year just over round abouts.

So i still have the older laptops of course

ppentertainments
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM
They are all my laptops because i upgrade my laptop every year just over round abouts.

So i still have the older laptops of course
I have a similar problem which is why I am now trying a Macbook Pro - see if it lives up to it's reputation - had to buy 2 though, one for me one for my son :(

Twinspin
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
I havent had the Sony Vaio long. I bought that in November I use that for my personal laptop at the moment until i get a hc4500. Then ill restore one of them back to factory settings and use either the brown toshiba or the vaio as a gig machine and the silver and black toshiba as a backup machine.

Jason
02-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I've recently (3 days ago) got the VMS4 controller from American Audio.
I've upgraded to VDJ7 Pro, and also installed in my lil Asus eeePC1001 -1.6Ghz atom with 1GB Ram.

A quickist test this afternoon looks promising. 2 x 320Kbps MP3 tracks mixed with the odd effect is not showing any CPU problems.
There *IS* a netbook skin for VDJ, and so this 1024 x 600 screen is fine, but does need a controller to realise all the features of VDJ (as the mixer is not displayed on screen)

From my end, I'll leave the system running a very long playlist on autodj... if it gets through the next few days, I'll consider using it.

The netbook is normally running Linux, but I retained the original XP install with a Dual-Boot system, so can slim down XP to improve reliability, leaving linux for any ad-hoc use.

The main Laptop also has the same use - Linux is the default O/S, with Vista being used for DJing. I'm surprised to see Vista using more CPU for MP3 playback (after removing all non-essential services!) I'm normally skeptical of reports of vista being slow (as 4GB of ram, and a decent Laptop designed for Vista normally helps!), but can see a noticeable difference!
So in my limited experience of this, I can see XP requiring much lower CPU for simply MP3 playback!