PDA

View Full Version : What you look for in a supplier

LeapCreative
12-08-2006, 12:17 AM
OK guys, in my first post on these forums, i said that i work for CPC, which a few of you seem to have heard of. At CPC, im an account manager, and as such, im always on the lookout for new customers.

I was thinkin recently about advertising direct to mobile disco's, possibly with some discount for members here. However, i'd like your comments on what you expect from a supplier when you're buying new gear, and what quality do you prioritise?

For example, do you value product range over price or vice versa? Is stuff like free delivery and customer service more important than price? Eventually, i'd like to set up a mutually beneficial scheme where we can supply DJ's with new kit, at really good discounts, but i dont want to walk into this blind, and just based on my own experience. If you guys can give me some comments, i can make sure we're offering what you want from a supplier.

Moderators/Admins: Sorry if this should be in another thread, i wasnt sure where to put it.

All comments gratefully received. Cheers

Corabar Entertainment
12-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Moderators/Admins: Sorry if this should be in another thread, i wasnt sure where to put it.Nope - it's fine here :teeth: :teeth:

Personally, I think that a good balance of prices and customer service is what important. Obviously, everyone is after a bargain, but if the company is unreliable or unhelpful then it doesn't matter how cheap the product is! Conversely, if a company spends so much on the customer service aspect that the prices are higher than all it's competitors, then that isn't much good either - especially if all you are looking for is a small, standard item that can be bought anywhere.

Free delivery? Well, the cost has to be recouped somewhere doesn't it? So I don't believe that there is such a thing.... just a hidden cost! When I search online for a particular item, I do cost comparisons, but the costs that I note down are the prices including delivery. However, it annoys me incredibly how difficult it can be on some websites to find out how much the delivery cost is - or whether the prices quoted are inc or ex VAT! In fact, that is something that I would say is very important - transparency. I immediately dismiss a website if I can't work it out easily, even if it appears on the face of it to be the cheapest. I just feel that they have someting to hide and so decide I don't like the way they do business. Maybe different levels of delivery? (ie ranging from slow and cheap through to fast and more expensive)

I also think that a good product range is important: on may occasions, I have been searching for several items, but only found x with this company, or y with that company, so have chosen to order from someone who can supply both x & y - ie all of the items I need.

I'm sure that plenty of others will have more to say on the subject. :)

...and if I can just add that it is nice to see a someone asking potential customers what they want (and of course, I hope that you will be able to offer members a discount!) :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

LeapCreative
12-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Cheers for the comments Angela.

I'm not going to lie to anyone and say that im doing this with no thought for myself, cause obviously, i work mainly on commission, but on the other side of things, if we dont keep customers happy, then i'm not going to make a penny, so its a mutually beneficial thing.

Just to address a couple of points you made, that i agree with entirely, we offer the following as standard:

Free delivery on ANY order over £40 in value (net value)
All orders placed before 7pm, are dispatched same day
99% of orders are delivered next day
Guaranteed next day delivery is available for an extra £9.99
Catalogue prices exclude VAT, but the price with VAT is shown on the website
Product range now includes Martin, Acme, Prosound, Antari, Jem, IMG and more
Credit facility available for ALL customers
Direct line and email address to your account manager, no call centres involved
Discounts on anything you buy in bulk

Is there anything else people would expect from a supplier that ive missed off? Most of all, is there anything we could do, that no other supplier is currently doing?

All comments are gratefully appreciated.

BeerFunk
12-08-2006, 01:58 AM
I like the bulk buying idea, haven't seen much of that in disco gear retailers. I can't think of anything further to Angela's comments to make! I'm a typical guy, in that I hate shopping in any form, and just want it to be as simple and straight-forward as possible. Competitive pricing is important though, as I would zip around other online retailers for comparison first (decks, dolphin, eBay etc etc). If it's £10 or more cheaper, I am likely to order with them instead (obviously).

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-08-2006, 02:30 AM
I use CPC and have found them fairly efficient with regard to deliveries.

Prices are reasonable for sundrie type items such as cables etc, but I've never found them to be the cheapest for larger items, and also if you are looking though the catalouge, when it comes to DJ or disco items, there are a lot of budget items that personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Creature
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
my supplier is not the cheepest around - but they provide me wih good quality friendly service. without there help advise i would not have moved on as fast as i have - if i have a problem biring ya kit down they help me unload and set it up and have on a few occasion sspent over 5 hours in there shop trying to resolve an issue or maybe just testing new kit against mine.

the free coffee helps, they also have an open nite for the local djs - with the boss man being there n making cuppas for us - he answers all our quiries and we get to know each other as well.

If they get any bookings they cant cover or are not suitable for - they give out our numbers...

once on a friday nite id blown 2 of me peavy cones - phoned em sat morn and i met them at sat nites gig an dthey even fitte dthem for me (at no extra cost altho i did slip him some beer tokens)..

to me serive, backup is far more important that prices

BeerFunk
12-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Sound like 'above & beyond' customer service, Creature. However, this is not really possible for an online/mail order company - there's only so much they can do to resolve problems, without being 'on-site'. This is why online retailers succeed because of their competitive pricing.

DMX Will
12-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I find CPC's delivery extremley expensive if you don't spend of £30 or £40 (whichever it is), but doesn't tend to affect me unless ordering a £1.22 XLR lead...and pay £5 delivery

LeapCreative
12-08-2006, 03:45 PM
DMX Will, i can understand what you're saying about the delivery, although on the other hand, a lot of online retailers free delivery limit is much much higher. The reason why our delivery charge is £40, is that all parcels are sent on next day delivery via UPS, which as im sure you're aware, isnt cheap.

Creature, from what you've said, it sounds like you've found a supplier that's spot on for your requirements, and buying from them sounds like a good move, but as Beefunk said, theres only so much a mail order company can do. Even though we might not be able to setup, test, or demonstrate gear in person, we do have a technical team that can talk you through the setup and any problems you have.

Ill try to reply and answer any issues to every post in this thread, so your comments are very much valued, and hopefully, will benefit us all in the end.

Cheers

DMX Will
12-08-2006, 03:59 PM
DMX Will, i can understand what you're saying

"everybody calls me Will darling"

Shaun
12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I'll keep that in mind darling.

DMX Will
12-08-2006, 04:32 PM
i was going for the "everybody calls me bubbles darling" style voice (little britain)

LeapCreative
12-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Will, thats fine if you want me to address you as darling. As i always say, "whatever floats your boat" ;) lol

Just kidding m8 lol

DMX Will
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
im comfortable lol :|

DMX Will
12-08-2006, 04:44 PM
actually you say that, but on a monday evening when im working at sainsburys (woop) there is an asian chap in his 30-40s that calls me darling lol, its all cool hes a nice guy :S

LeapCreative
12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
LOL, im sure he is Will ;)

DMX Will
12-08-2006, 04:59 PM
all asian men calling you darling...clearly nice people :P

Creature
12-08-2006, 05:01 PM
sorry wasnt really awake when i read this this morning (hadnt had requisit 4 mugs o coffee :) :) and didnt realise it was online retailer...

in that case scap them horrible call waiting things - !!!! an angaged tone for me is far better. especially if i have a problem those cueing machines make my temper boil.....

other idea when you get a query from a customer the person that takes the call becomes your contact with them - this often helps with pr and can make problem solving much simpler and less streefull

LeapCreative
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Creature,

At CPC you'd get a personal account manager. So you speak to the same person, every time you call. Any problems, issues etc run through one person, so you never have to explain yourself over and over. Plus, you get the direct line number and email address for your account manager, so no call queues or crappy on hold music.

Personal service, but with the better pricing of a national importer.