PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers

ronedjs
31-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi all,
looking at getting some news speakers (juts blown mine) im not too hot on my speaker knowledge, so ive come here for some advice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-UK-1100W-Passive-DJ-Disco-PA-Karaoke-Speaker-Stack_W0QQitemZ120660088486QQcategoryZ69967QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL %252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BF ICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D160520581 199%252B160520581199%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6 042451469794167983#ht_5896wt_1135

this is what i am looking for. Are they good?

I just need them for small/medium size venues, no bigger then 12" tops. bass bins are not going to be used all the time but if i can get them in a package they it would be good. Dont really want to spend more than about 350 pounds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
elliott

Woodyo
31-12-2010, 06:13 PM
In my opionion save your cash and go for a higher quality speaker , RCF , Mackie , JBL . I take it you know how you destroyed your last set?

djsteve10
31-12-2010, 06:13 PM
They will do what they say on the tin.

They are a very very budget speaker and to be honest I would save your money and buy something of a little better quality. Have a look at Class-D.

Excalibur
31-12-2010, 06:34 PM
They will do what they say on the tin.

They are a very very budget speaker and to be honest I would save your money and buy something of a little better quality. Have a look at Class-D.

And if the stock levels on the site are accurate, you may have a strugggle.:(
This chap could have some, and would be well worth a call.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Premia-Electronics?_rdc=1
Alternatively, there was a forum member ( not me ) with a garage full of surplus Class D cabs, I don't know if he has found a buyer yet.

Sapphire Disco
01-01-2011, 01:47 AM
Sorry I don't like those speakers at all I think you would throwing your money away.

andyw
01-01-2011, 10:58 AM
i am no expert, so ignore me but the first thing that caught my eye was the decription "mega bass, mega power" put me off right away

yourdj
01-01-2011, 12:17 PM
No. They look bulky and i bet the output is not very good.
Your basically getting skytec quality (the bins are QTX i think) which is OK but really not very good.

I would get something with a higher SPL - at least in treble figures.
Get a known brand (even class D).

RCF have my vote and well worth the money as they are so small for the output they give which
saves space, your back and cheaper on the petrol as the weigh next to nothing. :)

TONYTIGER
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi all,
looking at getting some news speakers (juts blown mine) im not too hot on my speaker knowledge, so ive come here for some advice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-UK-1100W-Passive-DJ-Disco-PA-Karaoke-Speaker-Stack_W0QQitemZ120660088486QQcategoryZ69967QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL %252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BF ICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D160520581 199%252B160520581199%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6 042451469794167983#ht_5896wt_1135

I just need them for small/medium size venues, no bigger then 12" tops. bass bins are not going to be used all the time but if i can get them in a package they it would be good. Dont really want to spend more than about 350 pounds.

Thanks
elliott

You say you have blown them what is actually blown ,what are they were you happy with them before they went wrong i mention this as it could be a option to replace drivers with better ones certainly if they are nice enclosures.

If you want to replace them £ 350 is not enough to buy anything new thats going to be any good you will be better off buying some s/h quality ones the ones you have indicated are rubbish IMHO dont waste your money.

abracadabradisco
01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Checking the specs the tops are 125 w rms and the bass cabs 150 w rms.
In my opinion they are not very powerful at all.
The saying 'You get what you pay for' is right and it will be worth saving a bit more. I think your best bet would be to buy 2nd hand as you will get more for your money.

NKR
01-01-2011, 08:09 PM
£350 will struggle to buy you one decent passive cab.

You need to be looking second hand for something to get you going again.

Sound is everything and if you want decent mid tops and bass you need to up your budget 4 or 5 times. Or start hoking around the second hand market. You can pick up some good stuff if you know what you are looking for.

My system sounds great, but did not cost a lot as I had friends in places where they could get me second hand stuff at good money.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
£350 will struggle to buy you one decent passive cab.

And yet you use RW3s which were no more than £400 a pair when they made them!

NKR
01-01-2011, 09:18 PM
And yet you use RW3s which were no more than £400 a pair when they made them!

I paid something like £400 for my pair in 1997, when they weren't a bad cab. If you work out compound inflation over 14 years at say 2.5% (depends if you work on RPI or CPI, but lets not complicate it too much) that would be £565.00 in todays money.

Clearly the RW3 never actually inflated in price as it was superceded as a cab, but in real terms equivalency of todays money in their day they were just shy of £300 each.

Now yes I use RW3's and have a good number of them knocking about in my garage (ebay purchases to to bulk up air movement when needed and have spares if I blow something) as I feel they are a good cab if treated correctly. My intention is to upgrade once it becomes necessary. I do recall you had a long period on the RW cabs when they were in their prime.

The point I was making was £350 for a brand new two tops and two bass cabs system is unrealistic and will not sound at all good.

I run my pair of RW3's off a QSC 2450 from a denon or Yamaha desk so I am ensuring I am feeding them properly. I also have the remaining Mackie SW1801z which is providing all the bottom end these days and the RW3 actually works very well as a mid top.

Once I save a few thousand I will go for the logic system I covet so much, until then I still sound 100 times better than that bag of spanners the OP refers too.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 09:26 PM
The point I was making was £350 for a brand new two tops and two bass cabs system is unrealistic and will not sound at all good.

Which I agree with but I disagree with your statement that £350 won't get you one decent passive cab.

I paid something like £400 for my pair in 1997, when they weren't a bad cab. If you work out compound inflation over 14 years at say 2.5% (depends if you work on RPI or CPI, but lets not complicate it too much) that would be £565.00 in todays money.

I don't really think it works like that. My first pair of RW3s were just shy of £800 when they first came out. ;)

DazzyD
01-01-2011, 09:40 PM
You say you have blown them what is actually blown ,what are they were you happy with them before they went wrong i mention this as it could be a option to replace drivers with better ones certainly if they are nice enclosures.

If you want to replace them £ 350 is not enough to buy anything new thats going to be any good you will be better off buying some s/h quality ones the ones you have indicated are rubbish IMHO dont waste your money.

This would be my way of thinking. I've only ever blown a speaker once and it was simply a case of sending the pair to the engineer to fit better drivers on both units (obviously so the sound was balanced). I can't remember the bill but it was certainly less than a £ton and I've never had any problems since. And it's been about 5-6 years now.

Checking the specs the tops are 125 w rms and the bass cabs 150 w rms.
In my opinion they are not very powerful at all.
The saying 'You get what you pay for' is right and it will be worth saving a bit more. I think your best bet would be to buy 2nd hand as you will get more for your money.

I've just noticed that. It states a 1100w speaker package but it's really saying "they can only really handle 550w". The old, and confusing to the naive, case of the PMPO vs RMS raises it's ugly head!

spin mobile disco
01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Look at the peavey pro range as they can be had for that money and have a 5 year warantee.

NKR
01-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Which I agree with but I disagree with your statement that £350 won't get you one decent passive cab.

I don't really think it works like that. My first pair of RW3s were just shy of £800 when they first came out. ;)

I did compose a long winded response, but got timed out and not going throught that again. :D

When comparing the cost of items from 14 years ago with comparative items in the present day it is a recognised method. Its the only way to carry out like for like valuations in real terms.

If you paid £800 for a pair when they came out then that is my point exactly. They were a decent cab and still perform well now. If you had to fork out that then, why will £350 buy you a system of any quality now? So in real terms £350 puts him in the second hand market, which was my general advice. ;)

NKR
01-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Look at the peavey pro range as they can be had for that money and have a 5 year warantee.

And they double up as an extra effects light :D

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I did compose a long winded response, but got timed out and not going throught that again. :D

When comparing the cost of items from 14 years ago with comparative items in the present day it is a recognised method. Its the only way to carry out like for like valuations in real terms.

If you paid £800 for a pair when they came out then that is my point exactly. They were a decent cab and still perform well now. If you had to fork out that then, why will £350 buy you a system of any quality now? So in real terms £350 puts him in the second hand market, which was my general advice. ;)

I will point out once again that you said £350 wouldn't buy one passive speaker. You cannot compare most items of 14 years ago with today as the price of equipment is much much cheaper.

I paid £800 for a set of cabs that cost half the price when they stopped making them.

I paid £800 for a Vestax mixer 20 odd years ago and less than £700 for Pioneer one 2 years ago and the quality is much better on the Pioneer.

Things have come down in price, so there is no comparison.

NKR
01-01-2011, 10:11 PM
I will point out once again that you said £350 wouldn't buy one passive speaker. You cannot compare most items of 14 years ago with today as the price of equipment is much much cheaper.

I paid £800 for a set of cabs that cost half the price when they stopped making them.

I paid £800 for a Vestax mixer 20 odd years ago and less than £700 for Pioneer one 2 years ago and the quality is much better on the Pioneer.

Things have come down in price, so there is no comparison.

Okay so I am sure there is a list of decent single cabs for £350, but you picked a single part of my quote and ignored the general tone of the advice, which was you are not going to get a new system for £350 get into the second hand market.

Equipment is now cheaper due to supply and demand. There are more people buying the kit these days so the R&D recovery is spread over a wider number of unit sales. The price of equipment will naturally reduce significantly once a certain number of units are sold as the R&D cost has been covered by those initial unit sales and can be removed from the overall price whilst maintaining a profit per unit percentage.

Quality will of course improve over 20 years due to technological advances, but I guess in comparative market positioning the Vestax and Pioneer are similar positioned for their respective era. The Pioneer may be a stunning piece of kit, but I suspect the R&D that went into it in terms of technological advance was actually a smaller step forward than the Vestax of its time. Which will also not have had as many components manufactured in asia at buttons money.

My advice remains £350 will not buy you a suitable system. If you feel otherwise then we can agree to disagreed.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Okay so I am sure there is a list of decent single cabs for £350, but you picked a single part of my quote and ignored the general tone of the advice, which was you are not going to get a new system for £350 get into the second hand market.

Equipment is now cheaper due to supply and demand. There are more people buying the kit these days so the R&D recovery is spread over a wider number of unit sales. The price of equipment will naturally reduce significantly once a certain number of units are sold as the R&D cost has been covered by those initial unit sales and can be removed from the overall price whilst maintaining a profit per unit percentage.

Quality will of course improve over 20 years due to technological advances, but I guess in comparative market positioning the Vestax and Pioneer are similar positioned for their respective era. The Pioneer may be a stunning piece of kit, but I suspect the R&D that went into it in terms of technological advance was actually a smaller step forward than the Vestax of its time. Which will also not have had as many components manufactured in asia at buttons money.

My advice remains £350 will not buy you a suitable system. If you feel otherwise then we can agree to disagreed.

I have agreed that £350 will not get a suitable system, but you said for a single cab not for a system!.

Oh and I do understand economics and business. Thank you.

Andy Goodtimes
03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
That EBay description is misleading to anyone that doesn't understand the terminology, the RMS is an average output and not constant, in other words the speakers might if you are lucky take 1,100w but only as a peak, SPL is pretty low and I don't think I recall seeing frequency responses...I mean they describe the bass driver as massive or huge or something...FFS its a 15 inch...they have filters which are only partial cross-overs and not up to the job and the tweeters will prob not last long. I agree with everyone else and would say steer clear.

Class D, Peavey or Warfdale would be a more suitable solution for maybe about the same or slightly more money or go for second hand or save up a bit more...Think I saw somewhere that Clive at Entertainment House was knocking out some Peaveys at good prices.

ronedjs
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi all,
thanks for you help and advice, I ended up with http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=3687&cat=442, i know they are not fantastic but i only use them about 4-5 times a year. I just have them as a backup for discos and use them for quiz nights. Carnt get anything too big or they wont fit in the care with everything else.

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
thanks for you help and advice, I ended up with http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=3687&cat=442, i know they are not fantastic but i only use them about 4-5 times a year. I just have them as a backup for discos and use them for quiz nights. Carnt get anything too big or they wont fit in the care with everything else.

That sentance has confused me...especially when you were looking at tops and bass bins in the OP

TONYTIGER
03-01-2011, 03:19 PM
That sentance has confused me...especially when you were looking at tops and bass bins in the OP

Same here, bit of a wild goose chase in my opinion.:confused:

cosmicdiscos
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Peavey Pro-15. i paid £300 for my pair 5 years ago. still going strong and i get excellent comments about the sound. when they eventually die i will be getting the same again.

paulg
03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi all,

Thanks
elliott

Can you cancel the Soundlab order - to be frank, they are pants. You ought to be able to get a pair of decent s/h 12 inch tops from Ebay for well within your price bracket. e.g. a pair of Ev Sx300's will kick the butt of those things you're looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EV-SX300-PRO-DJ-PA-SPEAKERS-PAIR-ELECTRO-VOICE-SX-300-/220716281624?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3363b72f18#ht_2727wt_1140

Dynamic Entertainment
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Look at the SPL's - 94db max from a 15 inch sub is unbelievable. Unbelievably poor that is. If you only want them for small venues, you ought to be able to get a pair of decent s/h 12 inch tops from Ebay for well within your price bracket. e.g. a pair of Ev Sx300's will kick the butt of those things you're looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EV-SX300-PRO-DJ-PA-SPEAKERS-PAIR-ELECTRO-VOICE-SX-300-/220716281624?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item3363b72f18#ht_2727wt_1140

Erm Paul.....

Hi all,

;) :D

NKR
03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi all,

At least if you get stuck in any future snow you will have something expendable to burn to keep warm.

flatliners
03-01-2011, 07:58 PM
what about these http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.studiospares.com%2Fpa-speakers%2Fstudiospares-fortissimo-15a-active-single%2Finvt%2F248260%2F&ei=FDgiTaThII65hAfT9oW3Dg&usg=AFQjCNGcQK6D5qSlfjhO3ORnw-4zVSHAAQ&sig2=Nl-8FrQwNM9_Olj5QcVcPQ

ronedjs
03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I knew that would not be a popular post :D

I would have used the bass bins with another set of speakers that my business partner brings. I was just trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Also with not really using them apart from as a back up and qui nights then there is no real point in spending the extra. (in my eyes). They do the job, and are not that bad.

Thanks for all your help.

DazzyD
03-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

Erm, these cabs are only 125w RMS mind so wont have that much power output. Then again, the amp is only capable of 175w a side at 8ohms so the speakers are pretty much matched up with the amp so it may well be a package that works (for compact venues, anyway).

what about these http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.studiospares.com%2Fpa-speakers%2Fstudiospares-fortissimo-15a-active-single%2Finvt%2F248260%2F&ei=FDgiTaThII65hAfT9oW3Dg&usg=AFQjCNGcQK6D5qSlfjhO3ORnw-4zVSHAAQ&sig2=Nl-8FrQwNM9_Olj5QcVcPQ

These are nearly £250 each, Shaun, so are above the budget of £350. Much better speakers, though (on paper, at least).

flatliners
03-01-2011, 09:41 PM
What about these http://www.theaudioworksuk.com/index.php/professional-loudspeakers/active-loudspeakers/qtx-qrc15a-350w-professional-active-loudspeaker.html

Andy Goodtimes
04-01-2011, 12:30 AM
They look much better value and being active and only 13kg and going down to 45hz is very good for a 12 inch cab, mic imput also might be useful for a quiz...you would get a pair of them for the right side of £400. The 15As would appear to be very good on paper too.

DeckstarDeluxe
04-01-2011, 12:38 AM
Peavey Pro would of been a good choice. I know you have made your choice but Soundlab in my view have no place in a professional djs setup for both performance and reliability.

DB Entertainments
04-01-2011, 03:06 AM
I know you have made your choice but Soundlab in my view have no place in a professional djs setup for both performance and reliability.

I agree and cant get my head around that someone from this forum bought them AFTER asking for advice on this forum! :eek: :zip: :eek:

EDIT: Sorry for the criticism on your recent purchase by the way xx

gezzerboy
01-02-2011, 09:36 AM
I agree with a couple of people on here. If your on a budget then the Peavey PRO 15's are superb. You can pick them up for about £300 the pair. Had mine for 2 years now running once or twice a week. Never let me down and as long as you have a decent amp and graphics then the sound quality is good.

yourdj
01-02-2011, 09:46 AM
There are some really crap speaker being shown in this post.

You may not be Djing much but sound is paramount. The DJkit ones not only look 15 years old but I doubt they are much cop.

The best cheaper end speakers I have heard about are the box series from Thomann.
there is so many to choose from and by all accounts they deliver superb value for money:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sid=d9bca45816ccc2b5c064c5c1e81aae 44&xsid=d9bca45816ccc2b5c064c5c1e81aae44&sw=box&x=0&y=0&gk=&bn=

This one is £130 or so - look at the specs. Ignore the weight :p

http://images6.thomann.de/pics/prod/160811.jpg

THE BOX PA302

the box PA302 full range system, 12", 300/600W, 8 Ohm, 55°x55° horn w/ 44mm titanium driver, SPK connectors in/out, max SPL 121 db, frequency range 40 hz-20 khz, Dimensions: 60 x 41.5 x 39cm. Weight: 20kg. Colour: Black