PDA

View Full Version : To equalise or not?

hammy
01-01-2011, 03:10 PM
does anyone use a graphics equaliser and if so what are the pros(obvious i guess) and cons,also do you or dont you

leelive
01-01-2011, 03:26 PM
does anyone use a graphics equaliser and if so what are the pros(obvious i guess) and cons,also do you or dont you

All the time.

In fact, for me, it is kind of essential as each venue is a different shape and each will cause different frequencies to feedback.

I do this at EVERY gig. Though I may look at getting an auto system later in the year.

Set all EQs level. (British style and multi-band)

Stick a good quality mic (I use a Shure Beta 58a) on a long cable in the middle of the dancefloor.

Turn up the mic to FULL volume.

Slowly turn up the MASTER volume.

When you hear feedback stop turning up the volume and find the frequency that is causing the problem on your multi-band EQ. Take that freqency band down slightly until it stops.

Continue turning up the MASTER volume and find the next dodgy frequency.

Once you have reach peak volume and removed all dodgy frequencies you have then finished with the multi-band EQ as it is now set to the shape of the room.

Turn off the mic and play some music. Now use the British EQs to adjust the on each channel to your own taste.

Hope this helps.

Lee Live
www.lee-live.com

hammy
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
WOW thanks Lee i dont think it could have been described as well as that
printed out and will take with me on each gig

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I have always used decent mixers and playout systems so have never used a graphic. There is simply no need for small systems.

Perhaps if you are a singer like Lee, maybe, but I really cannot see the point for a disco.

DazzyD
01-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Like Lee, I always set the EQ, as he has described in such easy to follow terms, which is probably a throwback to my days working in the rehearsal studios.

Whilst I can see Daz's point of view with a flat EQ for modern discos usually being sufficient, I still think that a knowledge of how to EQ properly has it's place in the jobs we do. Every venue has different accoustics and you can EQ to balance the sound out. Some rooms have sound bouncing off walls at all angles and to be able to counter this aids the sound in the room.

Daz, do you not EQ on the fly when doing karaoke? A few tweaks of the right frequency bands go a long way to reducing/eliminating mic feedback and I'm sure I've seen you mention that before.

Creature
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
only use graphic when i am using teh large rig - tried on me small and medium rigs and a total waiste of time as no improvement

Daryll
01-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Agree with Darren
I used to EQ the guts out of my old system , and succumbed to the dreaded "simile face" EQ ( bass up , top up , mid down).

However using a Denon I normally run flat , with just the odd tweak to accommodate the odd room/hall.
Dont get me wrong , EQ has a place , but a little overkill for mobile use.

Daryll

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Daz, do you not EQ on the fly when doing karaoke? A few tweaks of the right frequency bands go a long way to reducing/eliminating mic feedback and I'm sure I've seen you mention that before.

I use the tone controls, bass, mid and top on which ever mixer I am using, yes, but that is a whole lot different to using a graphic and adjusting each band.

I've never really had problem with feedback on karaoke as I position the singers away from the speakers and put them high so that the horns are out of the way.

I think the OP was talking about DJing rather than singing or karaoke though.

TONYTIGER
01-01-2011, 05:46 PM
All ways use DBX Drive rack on all systems they now do one for powered systems much the same as Lee described but automatic.

leelive
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM
All ways use DBX Drive rack on all systems they now do one for powered systems much the same as Lee described but automatic.

That might be he very thing I should be using. Will save me 5mins at each gig.

Is this the sort of thing you would recommend?
http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/dbx-driverack-px-powered-speaker-optimizer--52438

Lee

TONYTIGER
01-01-2011, 06:17 PM

http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/dbx-driverack-px-powered-speaker-optimizer--52438

Lee

I know you take your sound seriously Lee so for you yes,but for a basic mobile a bit over the top but a lot of disco mixers are pretty rubbish when it comes to eq .

Megamix
01-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I use the controls on the mixer and tend to favour more bass and less treble - other DJs I have worked with love their treble.

Excalibur
01-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I use the controls on the mixer and tend to favour more bass and less treble - other DJs I have worked with love their treble.

You've not met Twinspin, have you? Glasses off the bar at fifty paces. :D :D :D

Shaun
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I have always used decent mixers and playout systems so have never used a graphic. There is simply no need for small systems.

Perhaps if you are a singer like Lee, maybe, but I really cannot see the point for a disco.

:agree:

I've never used a graphic equaliser either.

Excalibur
01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
:agree:

I've never used a graphic equaliser either.

Only cos you're too Scottish/Yorkshire to buy one. :p :D :D

Shaun
01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
:boxer2: :d

leelive
01-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I know you take your sound seriously Lee so for you yes,but for a basic mobile a bit over the top but a lot of disco mixers are pretty rubbish when it comes to eq .

Thanks. I will look at buying one later in the year.
Lee

BeerFunk
01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Nope. Obviously I check out the sound levels after setting up, and may make adjustments then. As the room fills, I compensate for any loss of volume or bass, with trips to the toilet doubling up as opportunities to listen to the output levels :)

NKR
01-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Lee

Now I have some free time and I going to build my DBX Driverack back into the system and I also have a DBX 131 specifically for the radio mic.

However, I am running a vocal artist.

For DJ work it probably is not necessary unless you want to have a lot of control over your frequencies - ie drop out the extreme bottom end as a manager is complaining about your bass vibrating the floor.