PDA

View Full Version : New Scanners

Ricesnaps
13-08-2006, 07:02 PM
OK, time to change the Super Leo's and Scimitars.

However not sure what to replace them with! Looking to spend up to £500 or so on four units - probably two flat mirror and two barrel versions. Obviously DMX, but control with easy controller (like the CA8) would be good. What is recomended.

Only thing I have seen within budget is a set of Dynamo's, but am a little worried they won't have the throw for the larger venues I do like the Leo's do.

Any ideas?

Paul James Promotions
13-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Any reason you want to change what you already have?

I reckon it would be difficult to beat a Leo / Scimitar combination with a £500 budget.

Ricesnaps
13-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Any reason you want to change what you already have?

I reckon it would be difficult to beat a Leo / Scimitar combination with a £500 budget.
Only that they are getting tired and starting to need repair. Could carry on spending the money on them or upgrade - might be nice to get seperate colour and gobo wheels too if budget allows

abyssdjhire
13-08-2006, 07:34 PM
no chance. buy another set of leo/scimitars, because thats pretty much all there is thats remotely decent.. and anything else at £500 for 4x definately isnt an "upgrade"

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-08-2006, 07:41 PM
What about the Winners and Rovers?

Haven't they got separate gobo and colour wheels?

Ricesnaps
13-08-2006, 09:24 PM
What about the Winners and Rovers?

Haven't they got separate gobo and colour wheels?
I was thinking about them too - but how do they compaire to what I have (and am used to?).

Otherwise how big a step is it price wise to "upgrade"?

Solitaire Events Ltd
13-08-2006, 09:37 PM
I was thinking about them too - but how do they compaire to what I have (and am used to?).

I think they are the 'bigger brothers' of the Scimitar and Leo, so should be OK.

They are slightly heavier though and have separate gobo and colour wheels.

Discoworld have them for £129 each here (http://www.discoworlduk.com/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d8.html)

Although Discoworld have been doing a few 10% off everything deals recently, so you might want to wait until then.

abyssdjhire
13-08-2006, 10:08 PM

sensibly? double it.

DMX Will
13-08-2006, 10:14 PM
The winners and rovers will do you proud. Im about to invest in 4 winners and 2 rovers. We once did a venue where they had two rovers mounted on the ceiling (high up) randomly, we put them on, and "immense" it was like a real club in there when all our lights and those rovers were on.

I've also seen the Winners and actually used them myself, no complaints, great lights, a bit bulky, but very good value.

Ricesnaps
13-08-2006, 10:29 PM
sensibly? double it.
Recomend away - there's always 2nd hand!

DMX Will
13-08-2006, 11:04 PM
I'd still go for the winners/rovers. You'll get a better light show out of having more lights that are maybe only "good quality" than having half the amount in "great quality". I personally think that if you've got the same model (or series as the winners and rovers are identical, except one is mirror and one barrel) it looks better because the colour/gobo is the same at the same time. I've got a few different brands in my rig, and I spend ages programing so the colours match for light shows.

abyssdjhire
14-08-2006, 12:06 AM
basically speaking, look at abstract gear. any of the extreme/mad/vrx range

Paul James Promotions
14-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Or the SCX500 / 600 from Martin...

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Or the SCX500 / 600 from Martin...

Which are almost £300 each....

I would have thought even second hand, probably a bit beyond Ricesnap's budget!

Paul James Promotions
14-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Have seen a few on eBay go for around £150 each or less.

Ricesnaps
14-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Out of interest (as I've seen a few sets of MAD scans on ebay), why would a MAD scan need re-programming? Ans all the MAD units seem to have fairly loud covers - is it possible to replace these with black ones and would that cost much?

dj_ags
14-08-2006, 07:55 AM
The black covers on the Mad Scans and Mad Stars are stock, meaning they come from the factory in the black case. The coloured cases i think are a "visual upgrade" and can easily be changed back again if you contact the factory.

The Mad Scans and Mad Stars are fantastic lights in my opinion. We run four of these units (2 stars and 2 scans) and they are suffice for any small to medium sized venue. I would say that they would perhaps struggle somewhat in a larger sized venue, but again, that is my opinion. They are a pretty bright scanner, as they take a 150w bulb but haven't got separated gobo and colour wheels :(

Im not sure if any other Mad/Abstract scanners have separated gobo and colour wheels, but worth a look around though.

The iSolution range from Acme are very good, and i would recommend them after seeing them in action on Saturday. Phase One DJ Store have a good range of their products in stock, so perhaps worth a look.

http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/category.asp?catid=8

DMX Will
14-08-2006, 01:36 PM
The iSolution range from Acme are very good, and i would recommend them after seeing them in action on Saturday. Phase One DJ Store have a good range of their products in stock, so perhaps worth a look.

Have you seen them in action Scott? I haven't but they look very plastic-ey and would fall apart/smash if dropped or had a bad experience in transit.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Have you seen them in action Scott? I haven't but they look very plastic-ey and would fall apart/smash if dropped or had a bad experience in transit.

I saw them working at PLASA a couple of years ago, and they were very impressive I must admit.

Paul James Promotions
14-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Have seen the i-rock's in action a few times, and wasn't too impressed by them.

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-08-2006, 04:15 PM

Yeah, but be fair J, what are you comparing them too?

If you use mostly high end gear, then anything else is going to be rubbaaaaaash. :)

Paul James Promotions
14-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah, but be fair J, what are you comparing them too?

If you use mostly high end gear, then anything else is going to be rubbaaaaaash. :)

Scimitars

DMX Will
14-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Thats because your Mr Martin Mac :P

dj_ags
14-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes, i saw them in action at my local disco shop on Saturday. They were showing a customer a pair of iSolution iRock IR-5s (scanners) and iSolution iRock IR-5B (barrels) and i must say i was very impressed with them. We use the iSolution iShow 4s (moonflower), which are also impressive in a scanner and barrel version...but i prefer the iRock series of scanners.

Ricesnaps
14-08-2006, 07:13 PM
OK, am looking at a few sets of MAD scans - the older plastic cover version. Unfortunately they have been updated and I can't find any specs for the old ones! Can anyone confirm that the following is correct?

- 150watt arch discharge lamp
- seperate colour / gobo wheel
- rotating gobo's

Otherwise, as a direct comparison with my Leo's & Scimitars, how would they fair - better, good upgrade?

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-08-2006, 07:15 PM
I've found personally, the colours to be more vivid and brighter on Mad/Abstract stuff, and the programs on the Mad/Abstract stuff to be a lot better if using them without a DMX controller.

dj_ags
14-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I think the details you have provided to be correct Rice. Are you referring to a set like these Rice?

Mad Scanners (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAD-Lighting-EVL-DJ-Series-250W-Pro-Scanners-Pair_W0QQitemZ220016214153QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14984 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

We control our Mad Scans with an EVL e-pod controller, which is suffice in my opinion.

Ricesnaps
14-08-2006, 07:23 PM
I think the details you have provided to be correct apart from the gobo and colour wheels that be combined, and not separate. Are you referring to a set like these Rice?

Mad Scanners (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAD-Lighting-EVL-DJ-Series-250W-Pro-Scanners-Pair_W0QQitemZ220016214153QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14984 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

We control our Mad Scans with an EVL e-pod controller, which is suffice in my opinion.
Hey that's one of the auctions I'm watching - I take it it's a recomendation then? Shame about the combined colour / gobo. Was I right with the rotating gobo's?

Ricesnaps
14-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Or, just to really rock the boat, how about keeping the two scimitars for now until I can afford another two of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220015558143&fromMakeTrack=true

or am I dreaming now?

dj_ags
14-08-2006, 07:43 PM
I think they have rotating gobos, but i am unsure to be honest Rice. All i know is that they are a reliable light and are a good effect. For the money, i would recommend them.

Also, you have mentioned the iMove moving heads. IMO, they are fantastic light for the money.Separated gobo and colour wheels, rotating gobos and a really bright light that offers quality for a reasonable price.

Im thinking of getting a pair...once i take over the business. Im currently working on my dad but hes a tight b*****d :teeth:

abyssdjhire
15-08-2006, 12:52 PM
what do you want the old version for, rice snaps? why not try to find a set of the newer abstract madscans? from experience, they work and look a lot better.

ps. they do have separate gobo/colour wheels

DMX Will
15-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Also, you have mentioned the iMove moving heads. IMO, they are fantastic light for the money.Separated gobo and colour wheels, rotating gobos and a really bright light that offers quality for a reasonable price.

Im thinking of getting a pair...once i take over the business. Im currently working on my dad but hes a tight b*****d :teeth:

The iMove's are pretty sweet, they have a few extra functions than the standard Acme Knight spot:

- "Mac style" colour wheel, you can creat half colours, as the colour wheel isnt set to certain positions like most effect lanterns.
- 3D Gobos

and I think theres also a bit of Gobo rotation in there too, could be wrong.

Ask Lee (aka Shockwave) about them, he's just bought 16 of them. He could probably sort you out with a nice price too, as CPC sell them.

abyssdjhire
15-08-2006, 02:50 PM
nope no rotating gobo's at all. has goboshake but thats it

DMX Will
15-08-2006, 03:08 PM
did i mention it has gobo shake ;)

LeapCreative
15-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi Guys,

As far as pricing on the iMove 5's, i can do a special price on them for MDD members ,which must be verified by providing your forum username when ordering.

Standard price works out at well over £300, but to MDD members, until the end of August, we can offer these at £276.13 each, including next day delivery.

If you do have any questions about performance, as Will said, i have just bought quite a few of these, and i'm very impressed with the results. Either PM me, and i will reply from home, or phone me tommorow between 11:00am - 7:00pm.

Cheers