PDA

View Full Version : Final Decision Made!!

Mayhem 1
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Gentlemen:

After much deliberation and questions to “those in the know” I have now decided to go with the Cortex HDC1000 as my main playout system later in the year.

Couple of things I need to clarify are:

1) Can I plug it straight into my mixer via the phono leads or do I need some other fandango piece of equipment as well?

2) Is there any special keyboard I would need to get or will anyone be sufficient?

Cheers chaps

Larry B Entertainment
04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
1) No, phono connections are all you need

2) Any usb keyboard will work fine

Mayhem 1
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Many thanks Larry mate :beer1:

Do you use the Cortex yourself?

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Gentlemen:

After much deliberation and questions to “those in the know” I have now decided to go with the Cortex HDC1000 as my main playout system later in the year.

Couple of things I need to clarify are:

1) Can I plug it straight into my mixer via the phono leads or do I need some other fandango piece of equipment as well?

2) Is there any special keyboard I would need to get or will anyone be sufficient?

Cheers chaps
1. Phono connections straight into 2 channels of your mixer

2. Any keyboard, although there have been reports of illuminated keyboards not working properly unless attached through a powered usb hub

BIG ADVICE - use a powered hard drive. Any will do but powered runs a lot smoother, and also download the updates from the cortex website.

I currently have 3 cortex machines and every one has been flawless (shouldn't have said that :daft: ). I actually prefer them to the Denon, although still to test drive a numark equivalent.

Mayhem 1
04-01-2011, 11:11 AM
ppentertainments:- Thanks for that mate :beer1:

It was between the cortex HDC1000 and the Numark D2 but it would seem the D2 is no longer available!!??

Corabar Steve
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
A couple of things have occured to me.

Why are you going for the 1000 over the 3000?

Do you intend using a hub to connect your drive & keyboard to the bottom USB port, or are you going to have one in the bottom port & one in the top? (which would mean a permanent lead running out of the top port & across the player)

STEVE HANLEY
04-01-2011, 11:23 AM

It was between the cortex HDC1000 and the Numark D2 but it would seem the D2 is no longer available!!??

What about the IDJ2 Numark? Have to say I can't fault it , it serves my purpose very well

Larry B Entertainment
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Many thanks Larry mate :beer1:

Do you use the Cortex yourself?

Used to use one for a short period. I went down the laptop route in the end.

Mayhem 1
04-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Laptop v Cortex mate, what changed your mind?

Larry B Entertainment
04-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Laptop v Cortex mate, what changed your mind?

Wouldnt want to re-open that very big cans of worms lol

Without starting the whole debate again, I will just say I got on with a laptop better just due to it being more flexible for what I wanted to do :)

The Cortex is a very good bit of kit though, just use powered hard drives and hubs as mentioned and you should have no problems ;)

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
er Mr Mayhem? Have you bought your Cortex 1000 yet?
ive one kicking about here at Sounds House that id never ever dream
of using live.....and i dont think my 8 year old likes it either....
Dave

WWDJ
04-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I too went down the laptop route as it gave me more flexility, easier to build playlists while sat watching telly etc, lots of reasons.

However before that I used a Denon HD2500 and I wanted to make a recommendation on the keyboard front if you want something small. it's not illuminated but the size was the factor for me.

http://www.keysonic.de/pages/keyboards/ACK_3400_U/ack_3400_u_uk.html
http://www.keysonic.de/gfx/products/keyboards/ACK_3400_U/ACK_3400_U_picBig.jpg

in situ on my rig ... to give you an idea

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_udxYkibPwZM/TBcvXiUSMbI/AAAAAAAAFXI/g3viMSO9SWE/s800/DSC00194.JPG

Excalibur
04-01-2011, 03:49 PM

Cheers chaps
1) Yes.
2) No. But simpler the better. Some illuminated ones will work, some won't.

1. Phono connections straight into 2 channels of your mixer

2. Any keyboard, although there have been reports of illuminated keyboards not working properly unless attached through a powered usb hub
Not strictly true. I've one which works fine straight into Cortex. Not all illuminated ones will work however you join them up. BIG ADVICE - use a powered hard drive. Any will do but powered runs a lot smoother,
As yet, I've not found a single unpowered drive that the Cortex will accept.EVEN BIGGER ADVICE: POWER EVERYTHING.

and also download the updates from the cortex website.
Agreed.

I currently have 3 cortex machines and every one has been flawless (shouldn't have said that :daft: ). I actually prefer them to the Denon,
Agreed again, vehemently.

although still to test drive a numark equivalent
Cortex is easier. simpler, more logical, and more intuitive, and probably faster.It does however lack the crate, and the build quality is not as good as Numark. I prefer the Cortex. I appreciate the Numark.

D2's can sometimes be found s/h, but the replacement is the DDS. It's also slightly upgraded insoide apparently, and of course has a colour screen.

A couple of things have occured to me.

Why are you going for the 1000 over the 3000?
Do you intend using a hub to connect your drive & keyboard to the bottom USB port, or are you going to have one in the bottom port & one in the top? (which would mean a premanent lead running out of the top port & across the player)
Simplicity. I guess he doesn't need bells and whistles.
If he doesn't, then I've been wasting my breath here. :D PS, Belkin hub for preference, external powered, four port only. Others may work, Belikn will.
What about the IDJ2 Numark? Have to say I can't fault it , it serves my purpose very well
It's an option.

However before that I used a Denon HD2500 and I wanted to make a recommendation on the keyboard front if you want something small. it's not illuminated but the size was the factor for me.in situ on my rig ... to give you an idea

I have a similar one. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I wish I'd got a full size illuminated one instead. It will be changed one day.

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Good call, but I never like to rely on all-in-one systems. One blown powerpack and a whole backup system needed.

Excalibur
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Good call, but I never like to rely on all-in-one systems. One blown powerpack and a whole backup system needed.

+1 here. I know a former member had one as backup, and tried it one night as a main playout, and was not enamoured of it. I'll wander off to look for the thread.

Et Voila.
http://www.forum.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22904&highlight=idj2
Post #13 onwards highlights the problems faced by said former member.