PDA

View Full Version : sensitivity ratings

gillo
13-08-2006, 11:15 PM
whats the difference between a speaker with a sensitivity of 91 db and 97 db?:)

BeerFunk
13-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, you have to be careful what you say to the more sensitive one...

Sorry, sorry, sorry!!

I believe it has no bearing on sound quality, and is simply the efficiency of the speaker to produce sound - relative to the power driven into it. he higher the sensitivity, the louder (and hence more efficient) the speaker is.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

Paul James Promotions
13-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Basically, the 97db unit will be more efficient, requiring significantly less amplifier power to achieve a certain output level.

Have a look under the 'Sound Pressure' section of the following page for a few interesting facts:-

http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=23&p2=17&p_id=26

paull
15-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for that, helped explain a few things for me.

Paul

abyssdjhire
15-08-2006, 11:49 AM
generalised, as jamie said - the higher the sensitivity, the more efficient and, in a way, the more accurate the speaker will be.

the max sound pressure level (SPL) is the maximum output, in decibels, that the speaker will boot out

BeerFunk
15-08-2006, 11:55 AM
generalised, as jamie said - the higher the sensitivity, the more efficient and, in a way, the more accurate the speaker will be.
Er.....

I said it first! :D

spin mobile disco
08-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Hi i read the article on the link, its a very good and consice bit of data and i found it very helfull as it filled in some blanks in my knowledge (or lack there of) ;) Great job in finding that man.
For those of you that found it a bit hard going I can sumerise it thus (and yes i know beerfunk said it first lol)
The SPL or sensitivity on a like for like speaker, so if you compared say a peavey 15" 300 watt rms speaker with a skytronic 15" watt rms speaker both running at 8 ohms .
The peavey has an spl of 97db the skytronic has an spl of 92 db the peavey will use less power to make a noise equivelent to the skytronic which being the case means that the amp will now have more power to increase the volume over what the lower spl speaker can accomplish. However from what I think they meant on the website is that the difference of persieved volume at 1 metre from the speaker is between about 25 - 50 % with a difference of about 5 Db

Make any sense to anyone? I hope so that article gave me headache trying to work out feel like i've been back to school.

Hope it helps people also worth noting that most speakers that do not have a crossover fitted (larger speakers anyway 12" +) will tend to have a lower spl rating because the speaker will be wasting power trying to produce frequencies we dont want or need. This however is not the case if you have a high pass and a low pass filter fitted to either you speakers or as an amp setting.

Coments welcome and i hope this helps some people i think i understand it a lot better now myself.

abyssdjhire
08-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Er.....

I said it first! :D

sorry... i'll send you a biscuit in the post ;)