PDA

View Full Version : Sorry ...... Another Bose L1 thread

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Well I have decided I need a drainpipe. Was hoping the Bose Compact would suffice but after hearing, and being dissapointed by it, a full size model is what I have decided on.

I was about to click buy on this http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR335111 but remembered something about the model2 being better / worse than model 1 and one bass bin not being enough etc etc

Rather than trail through endless threads I though I would check for a definitive answer. Would the above be sufficient ??

It is not for large discos, more smaller corporate functions up to say 60, but main use is for race nights where I need to fill the room with sound without it being too loud (if you understand). Tbh budget is not overly important as if I am pulling out this amount I would rather ensure it is the right one I am buying.

(Brings me out in a sweat all this spending, shall have to go for a lie down :D :D )

Daryll
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Rather than trail through endless threads I though I would check for a definitive answer. Would the above be sufficient ??

Yes

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Yes
That's what I like, straight to the point, cheers :cool:

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Model 2 has a Tone machine (cant remember its exact name), which contours the sound for disco application ;)

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Model 2 has a Tone machine (cant remember its exact name), which contours the sound for disco application ;)
English ???

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2011, 10:38 PM
English ???

Think of it as a posh equaliser and effects processor that presets to various instruments/applications ;)

Dynamic Entertainment
04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Incidentally...what didnt you like about the Compact one Chris?

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Incidentally...what didnt you like about the Compact one Chris?
Not very loud. would need 2 minimum for a small disco imo which defeats what I am looking for.

Andy Goodtimes
04-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I have the original PAS and would never do any disco work with it unless I used 2 poles...L1s and 4 bins...B1s, there are those that use 1 L1 and 2 B1s for smaller disco work but I believe that lacks bass. You get software that allows you to write and upload your own curves onto the bases so you can create whatever sound you want...even on the original models, mine came with various pre-loaded curves inc. some for equalised music but they were mostly for instruments and microphones.

The original target market for the PAS was the live scene, the idea being that each band member would turn up with their own PAS...hence the name "personal amplification system", they would each set-up and each have the number of bins they need i.e. a female singer none, a lead guitarist 1 and a drummer 2 etc. they can also all hear what's going on without the need for monitoring due to the dispurtion of the systems. It never really caught on in this country, I have only ever seen 1 band using them as intended.

I use mine mostly for voices at conferences and services and also sometimes for musicians, I only ever use them for disco when requested.

Charlie Brown
04-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Why do you want a pair Chris?

ppentertainments
04-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Why do you want a pair Chris?

no, only want one Charlie :)

Charlie Brown
05-01-2011, 08:08 AM
no, only want one Charlie :)

:lol:

One then. ;) PA hire? Background music?

Dj Diddy Davies
05-01-2011, 09:21 AM
My name's Steve and I have an L1 model 2 along with 2 x B1's (bass) and a T1 (Tonematch).... (bit like being in AA owning a Bose and admitting it on Forums!)

I've had them since August 2009 and wouldn't be without them. I do weddings and have no qualms about using them in a large room 150+ guests.

The T1 model 2 doesn't come with the Tonematch, but it's definitely worth the money (the T1). It can also be used with the model 1, but needs some extra wiring). I went and listened to both of the L1 models in a typical village hall, set up by the dealer (Clive at CRS1) and found the model 2 to be far better.

The main difference between model 1 and 2, from our point of view, is that the number of inputs (more on the model 1).

I have no problems hitting sound limiters at 96db and it can produce a reasonable bass presence (though not really trouser flapping bass) that really can be felt (of course it's easy to plug in a powered sub into the model 2).

The sound quality is amazing and gets lots of good comments from guests. It has a small footprint and doesn't look intrusive in high end settings.

I wouldn't be without it!

Have a look at the US Bose users group forum, they have a special area for DJ's and loads of advice.

Steve.

deltic
05-01-2011, 09:27 AM
i will link you to it

http://bose.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x

Steve the DJ
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Having used them a number of times I would say the original Bose L1 is ideal for the scenario you describe as long as you have 2 B1's.

The base already includes a number of presets for certain types of microphone/usage scenario which was moved to the ToneMatch in version 2.

As a disco speaker they don't go "deep" enough for my tastes but as a background/speeches or small party system (under 80 peeps), one L1 is a perfect fit. I also don't think it is worth investing the extra in version 2 for the usage you require.

Excalibur
05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
(Brings me out in a sweat all this spending, shall have to go for a lie down :D :D )

Never mind you, I just clicked the link, read the price, and had to have a sit down!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Do you know how many Class D's you coud buy for that sort of money? :whistle: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, although I've got little knowledge of the gear, I heard a solo artist using what appeared to be that exact rig at a wedding, and it sounded absolutely superb. They do seem to fill an area with sound at an even level all over, which is exactly what you want.

Steve the DJ
05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
They do seem to fill an area with sound at an even level all over, which is exactly what you want.

And which is why they are a brilliant speaker for speeches and background music. 1 unit would cover 150 people and be very discrete.

ppentertainments
05-01-2011, 12:01 PM
And which is why they are a brilliant speaker for speeches and background music. 1 unit would cover 150 people and be very discrete.
Which is exactly the sort of thing I am after.

Cheers for the advice everyone :beer1: