PDA

View Full Version : Do new Subwoofer cones need "wearing in"??

SPDJ
05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi guys,

Recently got my sub reconed (Mackie SWA1501) and tried it out in my living room (sorry neighbors)!!

Even on the minimum setting the bass sounded awful (kick drums sound very farty), as if the speaker is about to blow, possibly they have reconed it with a cone that is spec'd at under 500watts (as that what the cone needs to be to match the amp).

A friend was telling me that some speakers need wearing in. Is this true? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Excalibur
05-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Interesting question. I have no hard and fast facts to back this up, but I've always believed that it's wise not to run them flat out initially, and also that they do sound better having been "run in ".

However, I'd be a little concerned that a cab of the quality of a Mackie didn't sound aceptable from the off. On my Class D's, the kick drum in particular sounds absolutely spot on, it's the lower frequencies than that which aren't quite as crisp. It doesn't seem to me that all is as it should be, but I'm no expert in this area.

SPDJ
05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
The cab and the amp is Mackie, but the cone isn't. Don't know who it is. Probably some generic maplin worhy firm.

So far I havn't dared to push the volume up over halfway. Mostly been on minimum (where by to have less bass would mean turning the unit off) and even at this level, the cone sounds to be really struggling.

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Do you know what driver was used should be on your invoice how much was it cost should be around £ 150 with labour at least.
Yes drivers should be run in 1/2 volume for 4 to 6 hours but it should sound fine from start i would be concerned that the correct spec driver was fitted.

yourdj
05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
The cab and the amp is Mackie, but the cone isn't. Don't know who it is. Probably some generic maplin worhy firm.

So far I havn't dared to push the volume up over halfway. Mostly been on minimum (where by to have less bass would mean turning the unit off) and even at this level, the cone sounds to be really struggling.

I think its a rubbish driver and you need to take it back.
They have still not got back to me about my Tannoys.

Bring it to the gig tonight and if it sounds worse than my LD then its definitely rubbish.
We can do a little video demonstration with mine on and then with yours on.

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
The correct replacement driver is a Eminence Kappa Pro LF-2
A OEM version was the original version fitted hope that helps

SPDJ
05-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks Tony,

Got it done in a little audio electronics shop, looks like its husband and wife owned.

Total cost came to £56 which is far less that your estimate BUT they didnt replace the driver, they re coned the one i had.

The guy said re coning is more cost effective than a straight replacement as it does not compromise on the audio quality to a degree which the human ear can notice (tho i am aware that this in itself is a big debate).

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
05-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Hiya SPDJ
Im sorry the cost you paid was FAR too cheap.
If it had been brought to most repair facilities
the charge would have been
Labour 40 pounds (1 Hour)
Parts New 116 pounds Kappa Driver (600 Watts RMS)

Youd NEVER blow it up again at 600 watt rating!
sorry but thats the going rate for a proper repair.
the only "Recones" go to
American Jukebox owners or Vox ac30 Cork sniffers

take it back and ask him to ensure its correct
good luck

DAVE

Daryll
05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Not sure about re-cones , but a new 12"15"/18"driver benefits from a 25 to 30 Hz tone going through it, at 10 to 12 volts A/C, for 12 hours or so , out of the cab , not in it , like a lot of things , its a bit stiff when new.

Daryll

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks Tony,

Got it done in a little audio electronics shop, looks like its husband and wife owned.

Total cost came to £56 which is far less that your estimate BUT they didnt replace the driver, they re coned the one i had.

The guy said re coning is more cost effective than a straight replacement as it does not compromise on the audio quality to a degree which the human ear can notice (tho i am aware that this in itself is a big debate).

The recone kit for the original driver is around £ 45-£50 so i dont think they have used the right kit also no that easy to do job not for the price you have quoted,i would go back and investigate.

csg
05-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Hiya SPDJ
Im sorry the cost you paid was FAR too cheap.
If it had been brought to most repair facilities
the charge would have been
Labour 40 pounds (1 Hour)
Parts New 116 pounds Kappa Driver (600 Watts RMS)

Youd NEVER blow it up again at 600 watt rating!
sorry but thats the going rate for a proper repair.
the only "Recones" go to
American Jukebox owners or Vox ac30 Cork sniffers

take it back and ask him to ensure its correct
good luck

DAVE

sorry Dave, but that is total tosh. There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-coning a driver which has been burnt, or has suspension damage, PROVIDING that the correct re-cone kit is used, and it is re-coned by someone who knows what they are doing.

I have had dozens of drivers repaired in this way over the last 20 years, and if done properly, the re-coned driver is absolutely as good as the day it was brand new.

However, £56 is too cheep for the cost of the correct kit, and the labour cost. I suspect that you have been provided with an incorrect kit with a voice coil that is too short ( it must be the right diameter of it wouldn't fit at all), or that the re-cone has been doe poorly with the coil not in the correct position.

Either would result in a buzzy, distorted sound.

As you have just paid for a repair, and it does not appear fit for purpose, you should return to the shop, explain the problem and ask them to resolve the issue.

Woofers do benefit slightly from a bit of running in, they are electro-mechanical devices that will loosen up with use. However, a healthy driver will sound healthy from the off.

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 10:02 PM
sorry Dave, but that is total tosh. There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-coning a driver which has been burnt, or has suspension damage, PROVIDING that the correct re-cone kit is used, and it is re-coned by someone who knows what they are doing.

I have had dozens of drivers repaired in this way over the last 20 years, and if done properly, the re-coned driver is absolutely as good as the day it was brand new.

However, £56 is too cheep for the cost of the correct kit, and the labour cost. I suspect that you have been provided with an incorrect kit with a voice coil that is too short ( it must be the right diameter of it wouldn't fit at all), or that the re-cone has been doe poorly with the coil not in the correct position.

As you have just paid for a repair, and it does not appear fit for purpose, you should return to the shop, explain the problem and ask them to resolve the issue.

Woofers do benefit slightly from a bit of running in, they are electro-mechanical devices that will loosen up with use. However, a healthy driver will sound healthy from the off.

Post,s 6 & 10 ?

csg
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
sorry Tony, i wasn't taking issue with anything you said, you are quite correct. I merely had been irritated by incorrect sweeping statements such as the one quoted, which stated in essence that re-cones are a waste of time.

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
sorry Tony, i wasn't taking issue with anything you said, you are quite correct. I merely had been irritated by incorrect sweeping statements such as the one quoted, which stated in essence that re-cones are a waste of time.

Would you bother doing a recone on a Kappa which is what is in these when made i would not bother IMO,i would replace with something better.

Thats Mackies for you,not what they used to be.I recone all my Beymas which is my stock driver.

csg
05-01-2011, 10:47 PM
eminence kits are fairly cheap, so i would re-cone personally. It takes about 30-40 mins to do the job properly, so ok if you can do it yourself. If paying £40 labour on top, then its might be worth looking at a new driver

the mackie kit is far from my favourite - in-fact i have a particular dislike to most if it, in particular the srm450 which sounds like a headache waiting to happen ( IMO, before i get shot...)but it is highly tuned, hence you would need to stick with the stock driver to avoid de-tuning the box and adding to your problems

stick a 600w rms driver in the wrong box, not tuned for the driver and you can end up with a driver which will fail with very little power, regardless of its huge power rating.

TONYTIGER
05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
eminence kits are fairly cheap, so i would re-cone personally. It takes about 30-40 mins to do the job properly, so ok if you can do it yourself. If paying £40 labour on top, then its might be worth looking at a new driver

the mackie kit is far from my favourite - in-fact i have a particular dislike to most if it, in particular the srm450 which sounds like a headache waiting to happen ( IMO, before i get shot...)but it is highly tuned, hence you would need to stick with the stock driver to avoid de-tuning the box and adding to your problems

stick a 600w rms driver in the wrong box, not tuned for the driver and you can end up with a driver which will fail with very little power, regardless of its huge power rating.

I agree but the sub in question and other Mackies had RCF drivers in,i dont think they re tuned the cabs when they decided to switch to Eminence but you might be able to shed some light on this.

yourdj
06-01-2011, 01:05 AM
well it was tested tonight and it clipped at a low level.
We did not push it any further as it is going back.

My LD dave (12 incher) sounded better and it should be a lesser sub.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
06-01-2011, 08:18 AM

But CSG if id have reconed it the labour would be 120 pounds to
remove the speaker,

take it the my only good reconer at KEIGHTHLEY,

go collect it a week or so later,

fit it back in the cab and test.....
Thats why i allways fit a new driver
what you might save on a recone you lose on labour....

it works for me just my own opinion
( bet the customer wouldnt pay 3 hours labour at 120 pounds!!!)

Just checked the recone kits 48 pounds
total bill THEN 168 NOT Including reconers labour at 40 to 80 quid.....,,

We are talking about a run of the mill loudspeaker here nothing fancy or esoteric
thats why id replace and not recone.

Dave

SPDJ
13-01-2011, 01:35 PM
As Toby mentioned, we tested my sub together and it sounded rubbish!

I am very new to the world of speaker re cone and speaker electronics so alot of what has been said on this thread has gone way over my head lol!!

I will indeed take the sub back to the guys that re coned it in the earlier part of next week or this weekend.

So that I do not get fobbed off due to my lack of knowledge in this area, please con somebody give me a rundown of what 'should' happen when I speak to them?

I mean, can some one recomend a decent cone to compliment my sub so I can tell them to get for me (kappa and eminence have been mentioned so far)? and the specifications i need

Last thing i want is to A) have another inadequatley spec'd recone kit used by them

B) get fobbed off with some rubbish manufacturer/model of cone.

thanks

yourdj
13-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Can you ask them to call me about the Tannoy!!

They have had it a month and a half and have not even called me with a price.

SPDJ
13-01-2011, 02:04 PM
will do.

Thats the last trip into mordor I take ;)

TONYTIGER
13-01-2011, 02:12 PM
As Toby mentioned, we tested my sub together and it sounded rubbish!

I am very new to the world of speaker re cone and speaker electronics so alot of what has been said on this thread has gone way over my head lol!!

I will indeed take the sub back to the guys that re coned it in the earlier part of next week or this weekend.

So that I do not get fobbed off due to my lack of knowledge in this area, please con somebody give me a rundown of what 'should' happen when I speak to them?

I mean, can some one recomend a decent cone to compliment my sub so I can tell them to get for me (kappa and eminence have been mentioned so far)? and the specifications i need

Last thing i want is to A) have another inadequatley spec'd recone kit used by them

B) get fobbed off with some rubbish manufacturer/model of cone.

thanks
You need to make a note of what driver was in there ,as i said they were fitted with Eminence Kappa model as in my previous post make sure they use a genuine re cone kit from the manufacturer of your original driver .

To be honest you could have just taken out the driver (very simple) and replaced with the correct one and never left home ,but we are all wiser after the event.;)

SPDJ
13-01-2011, 02:18 PM
To be honest you could have just taken out the driver (very simple) and replaced with the correct one and never left home ,but we are all wiser after the event.;)

tbh im regretting the fact that I didn't. I remember ringing up another local company who said they could sell me a generic cone for £50 which the guy on the phone said would match the my mackie sub. He said he will make enquiries to order one but never got back to me. ahh well . .