PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mail problem

Jonathan Ford
06-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Hi Guys

Can anyone help with a problem with Windows Mail? For today only, I've only been able to receive mail, and not send. No changes at my end (other than a balls up changing ISP has left me using a dongle rather than my home broadband - can't see why that would be a problem, especially as I can still receive), and no changes at the server end.

The error message I get is:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test123', Account: 'mail.jftd.co.uk', Server: 'mail.jftd.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any thoughts (and please explain your thoughts as though you are talking to a 7 year old...:o )?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon :beer1: :beer1:

Booche
06-01-2011, 01:09 AM
It might be due to the speed/connection of the dongle Jon as i sometimes have issues on my net with it being slow, yet i can access sites and recieve all the time its just the building of the message being ready to be sent

Only way i get round mine is to highlight the message being sent and copy it before i actually hit send just incase it doesn't send and i have to redo it all i can just hit ctrl+v to paste it and try again

Again its only a MIGHT

Cheers Dave :)

DazzyD
06-01-2011, 02:02 AM
When I first read the post, I thought "oh, oh. Another email account blocked by Spamhaus" (been there, got the t-shirt) but then I thought that maybe it's a simpler problem.

I've googled the error message and there are a number of solutions dependant on your email provider so maybe it's best for you to do the same? It could be something as simple as your firewall settings (are you using Windows firewall or a 3rd party application?) being changed to block traffic through port 25 or your email provider has made changes and this has upset your port/firewall settings.

Try googling it and see what you can come up with.

Jonathan Ford
06-01-2011, 07:32 AM
It might be due to the speed/connection of the dongle Jon as i sometimes have issues on my net with it being slow, yet i can access sites and recieve all the time its just the building of the message being ready to be sent

Only way i get round mine is to highlight the message being sent and copy it before i actually hit send just incase it doesn't send and i have to redo it all i can just hit ctrl+v to paste it and try again

Again its only a MIGHT

Cheers Dave :)

The unsent messages are all stored in my outbox. I'll take my laptop to the university today and leech the wifi there, see if that helps.

When I first read the post, I thought "oh, oh. Another email account blocked by Spamhaus" (been there, got the t-shirt) but then I thought that maybe it's a simpler problem.

I've googled the error message and there are a number of solutions dependant on your email provider so maybe it's best for you to do the same? It could be something as simple as your firewall settings (are you using Windows firewall or a 3rd party application?) being changed to block traffic through port 25 or your email provider has made changes and this has upset your port/firewall settings.

Try googling it and see what you can come up with.

If I'm honest, I did Google it first, but the answers I found were in a language far too technical for me to understand. I literally am in the Dark Ages, technology wise. I marvel at calculators. :o

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

Vectis
06-01-2011, 08:14 AM
No changes at my end (other than a balls up changing ISP has left me using a dongle rather than my home broadband

A-ha! So that's the bit you didn't tell me ... and there's me totally :daft: :p

Quite likely your mobile ISP is blocking port 25 by way of trying to force you to use their outgoing SMTP service. It's quite common.

I'll email you with an alternative port number (not for public consumption ;) )

Jonathan Ford
06-01-2011, 03:45 PM
A-ha! So that's the bit you didn't tell me ... and there's me totally :daft: :p

Quite likely your mobile ISP is blocking port 25 by way of trying to force you to use their outgoing SMTP service. It's quite common.

I'll email you with an alternative port number (not for public consumption ;) )

As usual, the oracle speaks the truth.