PDA

View Full Version : Very basic computer link up question

MORGEY
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Sorry this is so basic, I have searched the threads and can't get a simple answer.:daft:
I am still very new to all of this.
I use a play list from my i tunes on my lap top.
I plug in a mini jack (to head phones out of lap top) and connect other end of lead (twin phono plug audio to my Newmark cd mix audio inputs ) this then plays through my amp and speakers.
I can't think that it is this simple.
Once I have bought my proper set up will this work ok, or will additional equipment to either enhance the sound or prevent equipment damage.
Thanks for any sympathetic replies to a complete novice.:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Firstly, I would advise getting pro software specifically made for DJing. There are several to be had for under £100 - have a Google. Most of them you can download demo or lite versions to have a play on. Have a look for Virtual DJ, PCDJ, OTS, Traktor, MixMeister and there are others which other members will recommend.

Secondly, mini jack to phono is OK, but the sound on laptops is notoriously crap, so an external sound card would be in order. You can get these either in PCMCIA format (Express card if your laptop is newer) or more commonly and probably cheaper, USB format. These will enable you to use 2 or more channels on your mixer rather than using the software mixer and will give you much better sound quality.

One other thing you may need are ground loop isolators as you may get a ground hum from your laptop's powerpack, but this varies from machine to machine.

MORGEY
07-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply.
Would something like the Newmark DJIO be what you mean, sorry I am not in the technical forum.
I am not intending to do anything else but fixed playlists from i tunes as it will be very much a home hobby for now, but who knows?
I will check out the laptop humming when I have assembled all of my gear but thanks for that as well. :)

Excalibur
08-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Would something like the Newmark DJIO be what you mean, sorry I am not in the technical forum.
I am not intending to do anything else but fixed playlists from i tunes as it will be very much a home hobby for now, but who knows?
I will check out the laptop humming when I have assembled all of my gear but thanks for that as well. :)

Oh yuss. Best value for money on the market,in my opinion. If you find you have a signal hum, then Ground Loop Isolators are the best way forward.

Darren is spot on in his advice. Virtual DJ is a good, reliable and simple system . Others are available.

MORGEY
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I have now set up my new DJIO and am really pleased with the results. The ground loop isolator was essential and works a treat. I am using a fairly new asus laptop with vdj software and am again very pleased. I have an old IBM think pad laptop ( I would like to take it with me as back up) and have tried playing music from Windows media player with a few problems. The main problem is that after about 3 tracks the music distorts quite badly for a while and then returns to normal. Am I just asking too much from an old laptop or is there a quick fix for this?

funkula45
08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Try putting vdj on your old laptop and stripping out all unused programs,there was a thread started yesterday i think that could help with this if you are unsure,i have a very old advent that runs VDJ with no problems at all :)