PDA

View Full Version : new setup can you recommend some stuff

noris
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys

I want something i can put 10000s on songs on and get them up with just a quick click of a button and create playlists and all that stuff

Now i know there is the HD-2500, Numark Hdmix, DDS80-or DDS or Pioneer MEP7000 anyone know which is the best one

I know there were some noises coming from the Hdmix when the sound was still all the way down but has this been sorted out with the latest firmware

I also need someone to recommend me a decent amp and some speakers about 1000w

Thanks for your help

mattydinx
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
First things first - Your budget, as this is the crucial factor in deciding what equipment you're going to need.

Do you currently have any equipment at all, or are you starting from scratch? You'll need a mixer to work with many of controllers out there today.

Hardware controllers are great however, have you also considered a laptop/computer option?

Sound system choice depends again, on budget, but also on what kind of functions you'll be doing.

Is space an issue, for both transport and storage - If so, you'll probably be looking at 10 or 12" speakers. You mentioned an amp and speakers as separates - would you consider active/powered speakers? - again, to reduce size and weight.

Hope this gives you a little insight.

Excalibur
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Hi Guys

I want something i can put 10000s on songs on and get them up with just a quick click of a button and create playlists and all that stuff

Now i know there is the HD-2500, Numark Hdmix, DDS80-or DDS or Pioneer MEP7000 anyone know which is the best one

I know there were some noises coming from the Hdmix when the sound was still all the way down but has this been sorted out with the latest firmware

I also need someone to recommend me a decent amp and some speakers about 1000w

Thanks for your help
Hmmmmm, we haven't enough info for helpful advice. For eexample, playout could range from a Cortex at circa £250 to a MEP at around £1200!!:eek: :eek:

Amp and speakers similarly, from a pair of Peaveys and a warrior amp for less than £500, to a couple of RCF's at £1500.

noris
10-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the help guys

Yes i have a mixer

I would also like hrdware to put the music on not a laptop

Size doesn't really matter too much as there will be a few of us but nothing really big

I have around £2.7k maybe a little more if its good that’s for a medi player amp and speakers do you think i could get something decent for that money also dont mine good 2nd hand

We will be doing small clubs and pubs but i want some decent speakers so if we do start doing bigger we wont need to buy more speakers so im not sure how many watts we would need for that

I have seen the HD-2500 Pioneer MEP7000 Hdmix and DDS but don’t know which one will be the best i want one that can ceate playlists easy be able to find the songs with ease and is fast to load

Thanks again for your help

TONYTIGER
10-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the help guys

Yes i have a mixer

I would also like hrdware to put the music on not a laptop

Size doesn't really matter too much as there will be a few of us but nothing really big

I have around £2.7k maybe a little more if its good that’s for a medi player amp and speakers do you think i could get something decent for that money also dont mine good 2nd hand

We will be doing small clubs and pubs but i want some decent speakers so if we do start doing bigger we wont need to buy more speakers so im not sure how many watts we would need for that

I have seen the HD-2500 Pioneer MEP7000 Hdmix and DDS but don’t know which one will be the best i want one that can ceate playlists easy be able to find the songs with ease and is fast to load

Thanks again for your help

Hi John, the pioneer MEP is in a different league to the others you have mentioned great system that will even play cdg and has video out great search options and very fast ,in fact on ebay there is a controller for sale item no 130473380462 buy it now £ 399 .

Shaun
10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Noris,

As previously requested in your newbies post. Please take a moment to fill in your profile. This can be done via the User CP settings at the top left hand side of the forum. This is a requirement for using the forum. Thanks.

Andy Goodtimes
11-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I use the Denon 2500 and like it, it fits the bill for what you want, however, the Pioneer is also said to be excellent.

Assuming you buy a Denon and drive, keyboard, hub etc. that will leave you close to £2k for speakers, personally I would go for a 4 box system to start with, for the money you won't do too badly. I would go active...that is amps built into the speaker cabs, personally I prefer this as the amps are matched perfectly to the speakers, they have protection built in and its less to set-up and carry, there are those that will argue the passive option...that's seperate amps and speakers and its pretty much horses for corses. Not really that up on prices nowadays but maybe the DB Technologies stuff is a decent point to start from, maybe look at brookes too. In order to get an even sound I would prob go for 12s and either 15 or 18 bins. RMS rating is what you need to look at and about 6w RMS per person is about the accepted power requirements for the job, i.e. 1.2k will do about 200 people comfortably.

I think that if you decide on just full range cabs, i.e. one pair of speakers only then if they are 12s they will have to be excellent, something like the RCF 7 series or the JBL PRX, if you go for 15s then that leaves you a bit more scope and you will find lots of suitable cabs for your budget. One cab I particularly like for full range is the DAS DS15As, well worth a listen...so too the FBTs.

noris
11-01-2011, 10:36 AM
yeah did that Shaun thanks

Hi Andy

Thanks for all that great info

does anyone know if the MEP7000 can do string that is if you put in love it will bring up i will always love you

Thanks again

Corabar Entertainment
11-01-2011, 03:01 PM
It is also helpful if you add your location (people local to you can often offer better advice / easier to network / help each other out)

sweetie
11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
if you were to go with the denon hd2500 you could use standalone or have the option to use it as a midi controller for laptop and software in the future.
I have seen them sell for as little as £280 recently on ebay.

I use laptop + virtual dj and hercules rmx and find it great having a full screen display of my decks.

I also use QSC active speakers and personally prefer them to the rcf equivalents. There is a good bloke who I've bought from before on the mdjf forum selling a practically new pair of QSC k10 with bags for about £1100 and if I hadn't mine I would bite his hand off. Pickup a decent active sub (or two) and you have a great quality system that won't break your back or the bank.

yourdj
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
something i can put 10000s on songs on and get them up with just a quick click of a button and create playlists and all that stuff

What about a Macbook and controller with Serato, traktor, VDJ?
Controllers - Numark, Vestax, Pioneer, Allen Heath, Native Instruments, Denon.

I use Serato Itch and sort my music downloads/playlists in itunes which is then read by the software which I am sure you are aware :)
That should set you back £8-900 if you shop well.

Sound - go for RCF - sorted ;)

noris
11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys got to say this whole delay in my posting coming on here its getting silly i cant remember what iv said or what

Thanks to everyone for the help anyway

Corabar Entertainment
11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys got to say this whole delay in my posting coming on here its getting silly i cant remember what iv said or what

Thanks to everyone for the help anywayIt's only for new members first 10 or so posts, and it's an awful lot better than having the forum over-run with spammers!

noris
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Yes thats cools sorry didnt mean to be rude its just im forgetting what iv said or what iv not

Would anyone be able to tell me if the Pioneer 7000 can do string where by you could type in love and it will bring up i will always love you or do you need to put the beginning of the song name in

Thanks

yourdj
11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
The best tools for navigation and organizing in folder and genres are by far laptops and the software/hardware listed in post 11.
With serato you can put anything in and you have it instantly.
Its also very user friendly and VERY stable with the correct hardware & controller.

Pioneers can do this and I have never used one but i have had a Denon DNHD and its much easier and arguably more reliable. Especially solid state units.

TONYTIGER
12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
The best tools for navigation and organizing in folder and genres are by far laptops and the software/hardware listed in post 11.
With serato you can put anything in and you have it instantly.
Its also very user friendly and VERY stable with the correct hardware & controller.

Pioneers can do this and I have never used one but i have had a Denon DNHD and its much easier and arguably more reliable. Especially solid state units.

If he wants a one box simple option for basic mobile use you will be hard pressed to beat a oodj system ,type in any word and its there and built like a tank,you can now pick up a s/h one for about a grand.
I use one as a back up system has never failed in 8 years.

WWDJ
12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
If he wants a one box simple option for basic mobile use you will be hard pressed to beat a oodj system ,type in any word and its there and built like a tank,you can now pick up a s/h one for about a grand.
I use one as a back up system has never failed in 8 years.

That's a pimped up laptop solution isn't it ? :D

Back to the HD Controllers for a moment.
I used a Denon HD2500 for about 2.5 years (it's now my backup). You can find songs quickly if you use a keyboard. F12 gives you wildcard search so 'Love' will bring up 'I will always love you', yes. You can have playlists on the HD2500, although I found them hard to create and navigate (the DMM software is awful IMO) so I gave up on them in the end and just had the songs sorted by Genre, Artist and Title.

However, I moved to a laptop solution about a year ago and wouldn't look back. I'd always carried a laptop to play background music and to look for inspiration because the HD2500 screen doesnt lend itself to that.

Being able to create and refer to lots of playlists, including your history of each gig is useful and valuable. I can create playlists for the next gig whilst sat on my sofa and dont have to go to the cold garage and open my rack case. This with the addition of setting up Cue Points, Loops etc sold it for me.

I now use a Macbook Pro running Traktor Pro with an X1 controller and an Audio 4 DJ soundcard. It's not cheap of course, but it does everything I need and more. What you also need to consider is backup? Are you going to buy a second HD Controller?

laptop failure? -- I can run my old laptop through the same soundcard. Soundcard failure? --, no problem, I have a spare which will run on both laptops.
Controller failure -- run without or use the HD2500 as a controller.

As long as you build your laptops for music and keep them away from the internet and MS updates they will work fine and short of hardware failure should not let you down.

I've heard a few horror stories about the HD2500 controllers, supposedly reliable hardware, but at the end of the day there is still a hard disk as the weak link.

My money would be on a Macbook Pro with an SSD disk right now or even the new Macbook Air.

TONYTIGER
12-01-2011, 01:20 PM
He quite clearly states no laptop,IMHO the pioneer MEP7000 is the best out there for simple mobile use+ you get a couple of DJM 400s tacked on if you want to try your hand at mixing.Yes the oodj is a special laptop designed for djs just better built than domestic laptops and the best search and simple operation out there does what it says on the tin great for people who want to find there music quick and sound card built in with phonos out.I would highly recommend it for someone starting out as original post.

Corabar Steve
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
IMHO the pioneer MEP7000 is the best out there for simple mobile use
& over twice the price of it's nearest competitor. Also how many "simple mobiles" will need to play DVDs?

WWDJ
12-01-2011, 01:36 PM
He quite clearly states no laptop.

True, so from my experience of the HD2500 I offered my opinion and why I wouldn't buy another.

Another worthy point is to look where the market is going. It's all laptop controllers at the moment, with Pioneer just about to launch their own, and Denon clearly dropping out the the HD2500 Hard Disk Controller (it's discontinued) market and into the laptop market with HC5000 and MC6000. I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer didn't make an MEP7000 mk2....

TONYTIGER
12-01-2011, 01:41 PM
& over twice the price of it's nearest competitor. Also how many "simple mobiles" will need to play DVDs?

Funny enough me but it does not play DVDs only if they have mp3 tracks on them.The post said he was very interested in this unit as i use one i thought this would be useful info to him as i only give opinions on gear that i have used
This unit comes as two parts so no not twice the price but yes its not cheap but its a good unit and fits his budget.

TONYTIGER
12-01-2011, 01:53 PM
True, so from my experience of the HD2500 I offered my opinion and why I wouldn't buy another.

Another worthy point is to look where the market is going. It's all laptop controllers at the moment, with Pioneer just about to launch their own, and Denon clearly dropping out the the HD2500 Hard Disk Controller (it's discontinued) market and into the laptop market with HC5000 and MC6000. I wouldn't be surprised if Pioneer didn't make an MEP7000 mk2....

What do you think they would put on a mk2 if they brought one out,i just liked the fact that i did not need a computer with the current one.

Corabar Steve
12-01-2011, 04:22 PM
This unit comes as two parts so no not twice the price but yes its not cheap but its a good unit and fits his budget.
So you can use the top half without the drawer unit (& purchase it separately for that matter)??

Where are the USB inputs? (just out of interest)

TONYTIGER
12-01-2011, 08:14 PM
So you can use the top half without the drawer unit (& purchase it separately for that matter)??

Where are the USB inputs? (just out of interest)

Yes can buy as 2 units and you can use top half with out the draw unit (there was as new one on ebay for £ 399.There is 1 usb top unit and 2 bottom not sure how the top unit works on its own never read the 100+ page manual.

I bought mine as a package top & bottom as i wanted to be able to play CDGs and i like the fact you can take the screen out to a big monitor with a simple lead. Also all my lifes music collection is on DVDs so can use for back up as it will read these and of course cds and if your in to mixing has the same feel as DJM 400 and effects ,i think its good as have every thing in one unit but its a personal choice some may not like it.:)

Excalibur
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes can buy as 2 units and you can use top half with out the draw unit (there was as new one on ebay for £ 399.There is 1 usb top unit and 2 bottom not sure how the top unit works on its own never read the 100+ page manual.

I bought mine as a package top & bottom as i wanted to be able to play CDGs and i like the fact you can take the screen out to a big monitor with a simple lead. Also all my lifes music collection is on DVDs so can use for back up as it will read these and of course cds and if your in to mixing has the same feel as DJM 400 and effects ,i think its good as have every thing in one unit but its a personal choice some may not like it.:)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it can only play Karaoke tracks from the discs, and not a hard drive. Unless this has been addressed, it is a major annoyance ( it would be to me anyway ) and could sway someone to go down the OODJ/Standard laptop route.

Just a thought.

TONYTIGER
12-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, it can only play Karaoke tracks from the discs, and not a hard drive. Unless this has been addressed, it is a major annoyance ( it would be to me anyway ) and could sway someone to go down the OODJ/Standard laptop route.

Just a thought.

You can use a computer with it and get the video out for your display. but i do not do much karaoke and just carry a few classics on CDGs and i am no expert on karaoke(thank god as i hate it). also comes with a load of software but have never opened it.
The new oovj is cool but £ 3000 retail :eek:

noris
13-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Hey thanks everyone for the help

Right now i am likin the 7000 but the price is not so good but i do like the screen on it and it does over all seem better then the hd2500

Can i just get the 7000 on its own without the cd trays and still use a hard drive via usb or do you need all of it for that

I am thinking about the 7000 plus serato only so i can find the songs quickly on a bigger screen

TONYTIGER
13-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the help

Right now i am likin the 7000 but the price is not so good but i do like the screen on it and it does over all seem better then the hd2500

Can i just get the 7000 on its own without the cd trays and still use a hard drive via usb or do you need all of it for that

I am thinking about the 7000 plus serato only so i can find the songs quickly on a bigger screen

No you cant use the top unit just with a hard drive it will only connect up tp a laptop ,the sound card is in the base unit,but you can take the display out to any size monitor as i find the displays on all the controllers to small,hope that helps.

noris
17-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks TONYTIGER

I got the mep7000 now i got to find a mixer to go with it i do have one but its not much good i dont really need anything to good

Thanks

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Thanks TONYTIGER

I got the mep7000 now i got to find a mixer to go with it i do have one but its not much good i dont really need anything to good

Thanks

Let me get this straight...

You bought a very expensive Pioneer MEP7000 and you are saying that you don't really need a decent mixer to go with it?

djdj
17-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Good Choice I Like the MEP

noris
17-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Let me get this straight...

You bought a very expensive Pioneer MEP7000 and you are saying that you don't really need a decent mixer to go with it?

Yes that is correct i dont want to have to spend 1k on a mixer when i just need something decent that is not a silly price

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes that is correct i dont want to have to spend 1k on a mixer when i just need something decent that is not a silly price

But then why did you spend £400 on the MEP when you don't need quality? :daft:

noris
17-01-2011, 03:04 PM
But then why did you spend £400 on the MEP when you don't need quality? :daft:

Well because i like the screen and seems to be better then the others also it wasn't £400 because i got the cd with it aswell

Thanks

Solitaire Events Ltd
17-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Well because i like the screen and seems to be better then the others also it wasn't £400 because i got the cd with it aswell

Thanks

OK, so you paid around £1000 for it and now you are going to use it with a cheap mixer - that's what I don't understand.