PDA

View Full Version : Martin Efx 500/600 or Wizards

Fullforceeventsltd
10-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I have been looking at the Martin EFX 500, 600 and also the wizard extremes.

I'm looking to purchase two of the same effects to mount separately on stands/tripods.

I have a few venues where they like a minimal look to a disco. They don't like any overhead trussing as they say it makes the place look to industrial. These are barns/marquees and 98% are all wedding work.

I'm looking to change the style of show I put in.

I'm thinking just two Martin barrel type effects in each corner with my s&h booth in middle and maybe just led bars along/around venue.

Can anyone comment on the above lights. The wizard extreme are a bit over priced to buy new I think. Also I will be Dmxing and controlling the pair.

Also what would be a good stand to hold these. I dont think my current lighting stands would be strong or stable enough and my mobiltech SPTek 4000 would be a bit of overkill for venue due to size.

Any help or advice on above set up, lighting and appropriate stands appreciated.

Cheers.

Shaun
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
As a previous owner of an EFX 600 I'd recommend waiting for a reasonably priced Wizard Extreme to come along. I know many people highly rate the 500's & 600's, but I found them to be over-priced and quite boring if I'm completely honest. The lack of separate gobo and colour wheels was a big let down. I would have liked to have been able to inter-change gobos too....I'm not even sure if this is possible on the Extreme, never mind the 500 & 600's

I ended up replacing the EFX600 with some iRock 7B's which are more versatile.

Andy Goodtimes
10-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I use Wizard Extremes and am very impressed, they are a lot of money but I'm not sure if I would call them over priced. I have previously used cheap alternative lamps and they appeared to last fine and not be dimmer, however, I do have some £90 lamps in mine at the moment. They need a good clean from time to time but not so bad since the smoking ban. They are a bit heavy...16kg I think but the 7s were about as heavy if I remember correctly.

I usually mount mine on a goal post type affair but do sometimes use tripods, either the Ulltimax...think its called the mighty wynch or the Pro Light but not the cheapo one.

I have an American DMX Duo that I use to control mine, its a bit like a DMX recorder/replay unit, I have preprogrammed things for "first dances" and dance and so on...works very well.

Take a look at the pics on my site...www.goodtimesroadshow.co.uk its a bit neglected but there is a picture on there...I use the 4ft Ultimax with a short overhead inside the S+H and it works well for the higher class venues and better than having stands off in a corner and worrying about wires and knob heads barging into them.

Not sure about the 500 and 600, isn't the 500 a 150w effect like a baby Wizard?...if so I have a friend with one and we tried them side by side and they don't keep up with the Wizards.

Shaun
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I use Wizard Extremes and am very impressed, they are a lot of money but I'm not sure if I would call them over priced.

I didn't. I said the 500 & 600's were over-priced. ;)

Fullforceeventsltd
10-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks Shuan and Andy. I will take a look at the pics on your site. I have seen some wizard extremes second hand which is ok. I will probably control them with Martin freekie, but your controller you mentioned may seem an easier alternative.

Will have a look at the stands you mentioned as well.

Andy Goodtimes
10-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Shaun; I never said you did. I was refering to post number 1.

Shaun
10-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I realised that after I posted. :o :d